Author Topic: Will the next gen Honda Jazz will be a full EV?  (Read 11502 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: Will the next gen Honda Jazz will be a full EV?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 03:51:58 PM »
Bit difficult driving from the UK to those 2 countries to find an available working charger

A bit too glib. The fact is we could learn a lot from other countries that are doing a lot better than ourselves in many areas, broken Britain indeed.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 04:48:26 PM »
Cornwall currently has about 350 EV charging points, but it is estimated that it will need 3500 by 2035.

Hmmm..........

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 06:48:28 PM »
Cornwall currently has about 350 EV charging points, but it is estimated that it will need 3500 by 2035.

Hmmm..........

That would actually be funny, if it weren't so sad.
My previous place of residence, (127,000 inhabitants) in the Netherlands has more than 500 public EV charging points on 37 km² (14 mi²).
Please note: these are the public charging points, not mentioning the private ones yet...

On the other hand, my current place of residence in Poland (over 200,000 inhabitants) has to make do with 120 charging points... British conditions here! >:(
If nothing goes right, go left!

Classkawa

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2024, 07:25:54 PM »
Bit difficult driving from the UK to those 2 countries to find an available working charger

A bit too glib. The fact is we could learn a lot from other countries that are doing a lot better than ourselves in many areas, broken Britain indeed.
I thought Kremmen made a valid point. Comparing UK infrastructure with Norway and the Netherlands isn't entirely fair. The former with a population of 5 million and the latter, 17 million, they aren't really direct comparators.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 03:32:31 AM »
At the moment I don't see the attraction with EV for a lot of drivers

There are countless stories of a previous lengthy journey taking up to twice the time because of charging point diversions and then some chargers are broken or in use. Then you have a lengthy charging time compared to petrol/diesel

I know 2 local neighbours who both had Tesla's but sold them after a year, at a huge loss, because of public charging problems. Both have now gone hybrid

Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 08:50:05 AM »
I had a long chat with my Honda sales manager about the 'E'. I came to the conclusion like so many other smaller EVs (Mazda etc) the reason was that the range was ridiculously low.
I borrowed one, the first EV I had ever driven and I was most impressed with the performance.
The other problem I think was the dash wide screen. I assume it was designed to attract the younger customers. If so that is the second time Honda have mad that mistake. The first one was the original HR-V advertised as the 'JOY WAGON' pictured with 20 something, smiling girls and boys. 80 % of the HR-Vs sold by my dealer went to much older customers who wanted a taller car to ease arthritic ingress & egress!
BYD have invented the 'BLADE' battery which does away with Li-Ion, charges faster and gives much improved range.
Public charge points are now everywhere.
I looked on the 'find a charger' page on my eNiro screen and there were over 40 within a 4 mile radius on the borders of Somerset & Dorset.
So I must disagree with the comment that the infra structure  is not sufficient.
You won't be seeing me in an I.C.E. anytime soon. EV for me!
When looking at charger maps like ZapMap you have to realise they're not all rapid chargers, many are no quicker than home chargers, eg those at supermarkets, hotels or car parks and are only really any use if you're staying there for a few hours. The only ones of any use for a stop during a journey are the rapid ones.

Also regarding range, if you're travelling at motorway speeds you can knock 20% off straight away. The advertised range is for summer conditions at below around 55mph. As said previously we have an EV so I've found these things out from experience. EV's are fine if you're mainly doing shorter journeys (say up to 100 miles round trip) or longer journeys where there are plenty of chargers available. It may also be ok if you can charge at your destination (eg hotel) rather than en route.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 12:21:38 PM »
The EV journey faces the same problems across the world . China with the biggest no of EVs still has a power transmission grid not able to keep up with the power consumption demands of EVs . Same in USA and most other places . And that’s before you look at how the electricity is generated with coal oil  gas sun wind etc

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2024, 11:14:30 PM »
Car manufacturers are starting to move away from BEV's to Hydrogen cell cars. BMW getting one out later this year, GM & Honda announced their joint venture company fuel cells. Ford have announced a three year Hydrogen fuel cell transit trial etc

Tags:

anything