Author Topic: Infotainment system model  (Read 6202 times)

saileshj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz E-HEV Luxe
Infotainment system model
« on: January 02, 2023, 10:01:02 AM »
I bought myself a used 2020 Honda Jazz Hybrid a month ago, however the infotainment system isn't the original that came with the car, I'm looking at getting the original fit model that is supplied by Honda. Can someone share the model reference number or guide me where I could find one?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Infotainment system model
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 04:21:40 PM »
It may not be that simple. The  third party infotainment/radio equipment  will have its own custom software to run that system , possibly with only limited integration such as volume controls etc.    But an original Honda infotainment system may  need to be much more integrated into the car systems.   And the features can vary depending on which factory assembled the car and  its intended market region. 
   Even if you are able to obtain all the correct parts its possible that only a Honda main dealer would have the necessary software to integrate it into the car.  And if the parts need to be obtained from another region  would your local dealer have the software to programme it your car without complications from things like satnav mapping, DAB radio specifications etc.  I dont know.  It may be a good idea to check with a dealer  before spending any cash.     If you dont expect these extra features to work anyway in Mauritius  how much better will an original system with missing features be  than a top of the range third party alternative?

Unless a used system came from a crashed car, why did they bother removing it at all?   Maybe it was replaced with a better  alternative. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 07:15:30 PM »
I'm also speculating as my experience is from adding an aftermarket headunit to a mk3 jazz...

Compared to other manufacturers, Honda doesn't seem to have gone all-in on tight vehicle/chassis-specific integration with their head units. This makes it very easy and to remove the stock head unit, as not much vehicle functionality is lost (in my mk3, I only lost the ability to see the fuel economy used on the previous journey).

So if saileshj had a mk3 jazz, I would confidently say that it would be OK to find 'any' head unit, because when is little functionality to lose by removing the stock unit, there is little functionality to gain by reinserting the stock head unit. In the worst case scenario where no vehicle integration is regained, then not much is lost.

If Honda's attitude is similar with the MK4 Jazz (i.e the MK4 head unit is mostly just a radio/satnav), then this might be safe to do.

Although I have no automotive experience, I think it would be unlikely that Honda would change the CAN messages for steering wheel media keys depending on trim level, meaning that those buttons should hopefully 'just work'

I agree that you would want to source a head unit from the same geographic region.

P.S. I really am speculating here, so don't blame me of Lord Voltermore is right and a random MK4 OEM unit does need dealer installation!
---------------

If the 3rd party head unit is simply bad, an alternative may to buy a better 3rd party head unit. This may be cheaper and easier to source than an OEM part.

I bought a t'eyes CC3 head unit for my MK3 Jazz (stock unit did not have android auto). Although it has many rough edges, it is totally adequate for the job, and it comes with a custom plastic moulding so most people could not tell it was a 3rd party head unit. It can be installed with just a screwdriver, and comes with a wiring loom so no cable splicing is required. The default language is Russian (lots of old cars over there I guess) but it is easy to change to English

I can see a MK4 bundle on AliExpress AliExress, but not on their UK website

P.S I reckon you can probably get good head units for much cheaper than this CC3. It's a premium head unit and I live in a first world country, so the price I paid for my mk3 head unit (~£350) is probably very excessive.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 07:21:42 PM by orangeTomato »

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:45:50 PM »
I've got an MK4 jazz with the lowest trim, which means the infotainment unit is esentially just a bluetooth radio, no adjusting car functions through it, or interaction with the car settings (other than via the steering wheel audio controls), no android auto etc

From what I can gather, the fancy unit in all of the higher trims which does support android auto etc, does integrate a lot of features like changing the car settings etc on it. With the base trim however, these can be done through the main screen behind the steering wheel - unsure if on higher trims you can do this via both or what?

So, I'm unsure how this works if you were going from one type of head unit to the other

i.e. if the jazz orginally had a fancy one - can you still edit functionality like the settings from the steering wheel display if you went to a third party one

or if you originally had the the less fancy one - can you upgrade to the better oem one, or a third party one, and still get the features like controlling the car settings? does the wiring loom have the connectors needed for this or not, if the original radio doesn't support it? what about things like parking sensors / reversing camera?

(I'm planning at some point to upgrade mine, but not sure if it's a good idea to upgrade it while the car is still under original warranty or not, unsure if that'll affect anything!)

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:20:50 PM »
I'm fairly sure that made sure that Honda made a deliberate decision to make the infotainment a non-integral part of the mk3. Hopefully they didn't change their mind with the mk4.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 04:22:10 AM »
The 4 headunit is deeply integrated. More so than previous. Whether it's the colour audio or the display audio a lot of car related functions are available.

Have a look at the owners manual.
Let's be careful out there !

saileshj

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:18 AM »
It may not be that simple. The  third party infotainment/radio equipment  will have its own custom software to run that system , possibly with only limited integration such as volume controls etc.    But an original Honda infotainment system may  need to be much more integrated into the car systems.   And the features can vary depending on which factory assembled the car and  its intended market region. 
   Even if you are able to obtain all the correct parts its possible that only a Honda main dealer would have the necessary software to integrate it into the car.  And if the parts need to be obtained from another region  would your local dealer have the software to programme it your car without complications from things like satnav mapping, DAB radio specifications etc.  I dont know.  It may be a good idea to check with a dealer  before spending any cash.     If you dont expect these extra features to work anyway in Mauritius  how much better will an original system with missing features be  than a top of the range third party alternative?

Unless a used system came from a crashed car, why did they bother removing it at all?   Maybe it was replaced with a better  alternative.

I have the highest trim model "Luxe" also known as EX Style in the UK. I have already tried an original head unit from another car and everything works as expected including the steering wheel buttons but unfortunately the head unit language is in Japanese and there's no option to change it to English. I'm just looking for an English variant head unit :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 10:48:45 AM »

I have the highest trim model "Luxe" also known as EX Style in the UK. I have already tried an original head unit from another car and everything works as expected including the steering wheel buttons but unfortunately the head unit language is in Japanese and there's no option to change it to English. I'm just looking for an English variant head unit :)
I'm speculating here, and may be stating the obvious but I should imagine as you also drive on the left in Mauritius  many of your cars are imported from Japan as nearly new used cars rather than brand new.   .Its possible importers change the head unit to a third parry one as the easiest way of overcoming the problem of the original only being in Japanese.  But they may have chosen the cheapest and easiest option to adapt  several cars rather than seek a  scarce part for just one. 

On the plus side  this may mean that a top of the range  models  still retains some of the necessary equipment, wiring looms etc which may be easier than upgrading a lower trim level car . And you've tested that the japanese language unit can be refitted. 

But you may still have problems sourcing a suitable english Language replacement.   Main Honda dealers in Europe tend to be VERY expensive for new original parts, and you still have the risk that  when it arrives it may not work on your car.     
It may be difficult to source used parts   as top of the range units are seldom removed unless the car is scrapped due to a major  crash.  And  Mk4 Jazz are not sold in large numbers in UK and Ireland so there wont be many  available.  And unfortunately since Brexit many UK  sellers  wont ship overseas.     There may be more available in the rest of europe  but would they necessarily fit a right hand drive car?   and might still have  a language limitation -  Unless  Honda can reprogramme the software  of these   or a domestic Japanese unit, into english.   Or new units may be available from the likes of Ali express, with a choice of languages.

Right hand drive English Language cars are sold in New Zealand and Australia,  but still not in large numbers, and they are assembled in other Honda factories such as in Thailand.   Their  specification may differ from Japanese home market and european market cars.  But Thailand or similar,or one of the countries they  supply, could be a possible source of new or used parts . These cars may be sold in a variety of countries and may be multilingual including english.     

Good luck.  Others may be able to help more, but if not  keep us informed of how you get on.  It may help others.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:43:35 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

saileshj

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 05:14:39 AM »

I'm speculating here, and may be stating the obvious but I should imagine as you also drive on the left in Mauritius  many of your cars are imported from Japan as nearly new used cars rather than brand new.   .Its possible importers change the head unit to a third parry one as the easiest way of overcoming the problem of the original only being in Japanese.  But they may have chosen the cheapest and easiest option to adapt  several cars rather than seek a  scarce part for just one. 

On the plus side  this may mean that a top of the range  models  still retains some of the necessary equipment, wiring looms etc which may be easier than upgrading a lower trim level car . And you've tested that the japanese language unit can be refitted. 

But you may still have problems sourcing a suitable english Language replacement.   Main Honda dealers in Europe tend to be VERY expensive for new original parts, and you still have the risk that  when it arrives it may not work on your car.     
It may be difficult to source used parts   as top of the range units are seldom removed unless the car is scrapped due to a major  crash.  And  Mk4 Jazz are not sold in large numbers in UK and Ireland so there wont be many  available.  And unfortunately since Brexit many UK  sellers  wont ship overseas.     There may be more available in the rest of europe  but would they necessarily fit a right hand drive car?   and might still have  a language limitation -  Unless  Honda can reprogramme the software  of these   or a domestic Japanese unit, into english.   Or new units may be available from the likes of Ali express, with a choice of languages.

Right hand drive English Language cars are sold in New Zealand and Australia,  but still not in large numbers, and they are assembled in other Honda factories such as in Thailand.   Their  specification may differ from Japanese home market and european market cars.  But Thailand or similar,or one of the countries they  supply, could be a possible source of new or used parts . These cars may be sold in a variety of countries and may be multilingual including english.     

Good luck.  Others may be able to help more, but if not  keep us informed of how you get on.  It may help others.

Yes, indeed we drive on the same side of the road as in UK. Thanks for the detailed information regarding the sourcing of parts, I didn't think about it. I will keep you updated if I manage to secure something

AshimotoK0

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Hybrid 2023
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 03:24:59 PM »
Any update on this please I have a 2023 SE and can get old of a used UK head unit fairly easily from a UK EX model but not sure if a dealer would need to programme the head unit to adapt it to the vehicle.

Tags: