Author Topic: Using UK Post Code in NAV  (Read 1731 times)

BigT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Ex
Using UK Post Code in NAV
« on: August 01, 2022, 11:45:17 AM »
Hi guys,

For the life of me I cannot enter a UK Postcode as a primary search parameter. All my other Garmin Navs allow it except, it seems, my 2021 EX NAV. Moreover I can't find a reference to it in the manual. What am I missing? Help appreciated.....

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Using UK Post Code in NAV
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 03:52:10 PM »
Could be a similar problem to one I had   (Not sure if its normal or a glitch with mine . )  While in England I entered a post code in Scotland  (In Stirling) .  No trace. Tried address, no trace of Stirling.I   tried Glasgow.  It had heard of Glasgow,  but still wouldnt do an address or post code search in Glasgow       But when I added "Scotland"  (or Just SCO) to the end of the address (or I was actually  in Scotland) it found them no problem  . Strangely ,when I was later actually  in Scotland it had no problem finding English addresses  hundreds of miles away.

I think the system may classify England,Scotland, and possibly wales and NI  as completely separate foreign countries, and the system needs to be told which country to look in.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 04:59:29 PM »
Try leaving out the space in the middle of the postcode (or include the space if you didn't put it in).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

BigT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 02:03:51 PM »
You will find it on page 58 of this manual: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_523/file.res/32TZA800_Navigation%20Book.pdf

Hi guys and thanks for your responses. I have read all of these 'manuals' and as far as I can see there is not one mention of a Postcode. On other Garmin devices I have the program asks for a Postcode upfront. What am I missing?

Thingy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:12 PM »
There is no mention in the manual but just enter the postcode as normal. It will work.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 04:05:08 PM »
I checked this on my Crosstar's sat-nav today. Search -> Enter postcode with a space in the middle -> Done worked fine.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
I checked this on my Crosstar's sat-nav today. Search -> Enter postcode with a space in the middle -> Done worked fine.
Assuming you are in England ,did you try  a Scottish post code?     I'd like to know if its just mine that had cross border difficulties. Maybe the garmin have future proofed it   ;D

I did have another glitch.  I had a cunning plan to enter a complex trip along minor roads of my choice by entering waypoints as  map coordinates .  95% of the time this was ok, but every so often  it changed the number I had definitely entered correctly to something different. And having done so I might need to retry 3 or 4 times before it finally entered it correctly.(Always changed it to the same wrong number)     Anyone else had this?

Unfortunately if anyone wishes to try it for themselves it might not happen to them.    It only happens occasionally.  Maybe its because I changed the coordinates option to degrees minutes and seconds,as I thought it   might be easier  - (It wasnt). But even so, I entered numbers correctly, and when I pressed send it changed them.  Probably still does,  I have given up on coordinates for now  and hope it may be fixed on the next update. 

IIRC I also tried  a Scottish map Coordinate  when I was in England and it couldnt find it at all. I forgot to try when i was actually in Scotland.  I was more interested in Spotting  wild Haggis on the hillside    Their legs are shorter on one side to aid hillside stability. Chase them the other way and they roll down the hill  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:16:20 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

BigT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 05:49:29 PM »

It worked. Thanks very much. I was looking in address to enter the Postcode and sailed by the first input when you first press the "Where to". Your help and the patience of all is appreciated.

BestwoodRoadie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 Hybrid EX
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 06:06:37 PM »
Hi guys,

For the life of me I cannot enter a UK Postcode as a primary search parameter. All my other Garmin Navs allow it except, it seems, my 2021 EX NAV. Moreover I can't find a reference to it in the manual. What am I missing? Help appreciated.....
It is a must thatcyou leave a space between the first & last part of the postcode. I have travelled around Scotland with no problem using this system in that way.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 10:33:04 PM »
It is a must thatcyou leave a space between the first & last part of the postcode. I have travelled around Scotland with no problem using this system in that way.
My stand-alone Tomtom can handle both with and without the space as can most (but not all) on-line systems which want a post code.

Tags:

anything