Author Topic: stop/start  (Read 2167 times)

ericrw

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda Jazz cvt
stop/start
« on: January 06, 2022, 01:45:14 PM »
My 2017 Jazz CTV is having problems with stop/start system.    According to the manual ,the sign of the function is shown on the dashboard every time the engine is started, mine does not !! However, if I press the switch off button , the symbol does appear but it does not activate the system.    When I bought the car in October 2021, it was working normally, until the Wife turned it off by pressing the off button .   I do not want to get rid of my Wife but I hope someone from the Forum can understand my dilemma and advise me.   Eric.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: stop/start
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »
There's quite a lot in this forum about the idiosyncrasies of the start/stop system in the MK3, you might like to try a search.

Summary: there is a very long list of factors that will inhibit it (check the handbook), and it's quite difficult to diagnose which one of those is screwing it on any particular occasion. Not helped by the dashboard display which may not show a helpful indication. If you do lots of relatively short trips, the car may not be happy with the charge state of the battery (do you get a battery symbol on the right-hand display?). My own personal experience is that it hardly works at all during the winter months, but normal service resumes as the weather warms.

Regarding your description of the dashboard lights. I think the comment about the indicator coming on when you turn the engine on refers to the initial display of all the various warnings, it'll be one of the many lights that come on as the car checks the various systems. If you're certain it's not there, that suggests a system fault that might need a dealer visit to diagnose. After starting the engine, stop/start is enabled by default ... although may not actually work. When you push the button, you are turning the system off, and the warning light comes on to remind you that it's off.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 05:24:00 PM »
The same thing has occurred on my 69 plate Jazz which I picked up last year. I did lots of web research and have read more threads than I would care to mention. At first I found the whole thing frustrating and a bit worrying, but I soon discovered that this is a common issue for the Honda Jazz.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - there's no rhyme nor reason as to why, when or how. But I can say that I have never seen it working other than in the Spring and Summer when the temperature is warmer. At my recent Honda Service a couple of weeks ago, the Honda Service man said that it doesn't work when the battery is below a certain level of charge (my battery voltage was recorded as 12.6 - not really sure if this is good or bad and accounts for it or not).

However the car drives nicely and still returns a better mpg than my previous Mini Cooper Diesel. I also took some solace from Scotty Kilmer saying on his YouTube channel that the start-stop function isn't necessarily a good thing anyway in terms of additional wear & tear on the engine from constant stopping and starting (see weblink below).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:38:00 PM by 2robbie2 »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »
If stop-start is enabled then it will display the reason for not working when you stop the vehicle. The two main reasons for not activating are (i) low battery (shown by battery symbol with a diagonal line through it) and (ii) heating or aircon in use (shown by A/C with a diagonal line through it). The low battery issue is usually caused by the battery charge level not being high enough when the engine is started and this can happen if the vehicle hasn't been used for several days. This parameter is only checked when the engine is started and will cause stop-start to be deactivated for the whole journey. The A/C symbol also covers heating so, if the cabin isn't up to temperature, then the engine won't stop when the vehicle is stopped.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »
Sorry to disagree John, but I wouldn’t want the OP to get misled.
... the battery charge level ... is only checked when the engine is started and will cause stop-start to be deactivated for the whole journey.
Not so, I have had the S/S both working and not working in the course of a single journey, both when initially working and initially not working. I have no idea how the car would judge battery resting voltage when the engine is running, but it does seem to. Unless, as I suspect, the “low battery” indication is actually caused by a low battery temperature - which may be sensed as low voltage - and that changes if the engine compartment warms up sufficiently.

(ii) heating or aircon in use (shown by A/C with a diagonal line through it) ... The A/C symbol also covers heating so, if the cabin isn't up to temperature, then the engine won't stop when the vehicle is stopped.
I think these comments apply to a car with climate control, and the OP hasn’t told us that. In a car with manual A/C, S/S works perfectly well with the A/C running and the cabin temperature is not relevant. However, you do get the A/C symbol if you have the ventilation set to the demist position (control knob fully to the right) even if the A/C is off.

As I said, the dashboard indications are not good guides as to why S/S is not working!

ericrw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda Jazz cvt
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 01:02:31 PM »
There is an obvious system fault with the Off button ,as I described  So off to the dealers !   I will let yo know the outcome but it will be in the near future !!     Thanks to all the repliers  !!

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 04:30:40 PM »
There is an obvious system fault with the Off button ,as I described  So off to the dealers !   I will let yo know the outcome but it will be in the near future !!     Thanks to all the repliers  !!

You didn't describe a fault with the Off button, what you said was:
... if I press the switch off button , the symbol does appear but it does not activate the system.
That is perfectly normal behaviour. The S/S system comes ON by default when you start the engine. The button switches it off, and the dashboard light comes on to remind you that the system is switched off. No fault there.

I suspect that the fact that it's not worked after your wife used the OFF button is coincidental, as we've said the system tends not to work during the winter and that fits with your timeframe. Of course, if you've actually managed to find a way to switch the system off permanently then there's a lot of people on this forum who'd like to know that!

The only thing you described that's a possible fault is that the warning light doesn't come on briefly when you start the engine (along with all the other warning lights). It's not on for long (probably only a second or two) and it's easily missed amongst the mass of symbols. Before going to a dealer, I'd suggest checking the handbook to see exactly where the light is, then checking it when you next start the car.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 05:05:50 PM »
i only had it happen once, the day i got the car and as it was a pre registered car it was sat about a bit with 16 miles on it, it had the battery symbol on the screen and just kept running but once i got home 50 miles on the motorway it worked ok ever since, not that i use it as i push the button but every time i forget to push the button it works as soon as i press the clutch

the only other thing i had when i picked it up was on the way home the tyre light came on but once reset in the menu that has never come back on even after pumping the tyres up
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:08:45 PM by monkeydave »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:04:57 PM »
Best thing is to press the Stop/Start OFF button each time you start up. Stop/Start only comes into play really with town running and after doing various mpg checks I found no real difference - possible 1-2 mpg saving if that.

Tags:

anything