Author Topic: Honda Jazz 1.5 sport what battery?  (Read 2240 times)

Dino Demi

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2018 Sport
Honda Jazz 1.5 sport what battery?
« on: December 21, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »
So I've just bought a Honda Jazz 1.5 sport (2018 model) and the battery is playing up, stop start doesn't work from time to time showing the battery symbol so I had it tested and its on its way out.
I want to replace it with a new one but most of the common websites in which you put in your REG to find a battery don't see you show me any options.

Does anyone know a  decent battery I can use to replace it?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Honda Jazz 1.5 sport what battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 01:32:08 AM »
It's very common for the battery symbol to come on and disabling the stop/start. It is a bit over-sensitive/pessimistic in my opinion. Mine did this most of the time when I first got my 2018 car.

They have a battery charge sensor (the small black box item on the negative lead where it connects to the battery) which measures the total current out and total current in and then decides on how much charge is in the battery.

I cured it temporarily by discharging the battery a bit direct from the terminals and then charging it through the "charge detector" but it eventually began doing the battery symbol stop/start not available warning again. I then did a long run in the car, 300mls in one weekend, and since then it has behaved.

Of course if you have tested it and decided the battery is definitely at fault then OK, but I wouldn't immediately condemn a 3yr old battery jut because the warning sign comes up. If it starts the car with no problem at all I'd carry on with it for a while just to be sure. If you do charge the battery you MUST connect the negative charger lead to the body side of the charge sensor otherwise it doesn't recognise the charging process.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 08:52:01 AM »
So I've just bought a Honda Jazz 1.5 sport (2018 model) and the battery is playing up, stop start doesn't work from time to time showing the battery symbol so I had it tested and its on its way out.
I want to replace it with a new one but most of the common websites in which you put in your REG to find a battery don't see you show me any options.

Does anyone know a  decent battery I can use to replace it?

As Embee says, the Stop/Start is very sensitive to a large range of parameters. In over 6 years of ownership I've found it hardly ever works in winter (from November through to March or April), always displaying the battery symbol. I'm suspicious about the parameter "Battery internal temperature", which I think the car interprets as "Low battery". Sometimes it'll start working again after a long run, but sometimes not even then. Sometimes it'll both work and not work in the course of a long journey. It has always come back when the weather warms up. Whenever I put a multimeter across the battery terminals, it always gives a low voltage (<12V). So at the last service (end October) I asked the garage to check it; their report sheet gives the resting voltage as 12.75. I queried this, and their response was "Using a simple meter won't give the right reading, we use a more sophisticated method of measuring voltage which gives a more accurate reading". I don't know enough about it to know whether they were flannelling me, but I'm reassured by (a) they didn't try to sell me a new battery; (b) the car never hesitates to start; and (c) my previous experience that the Stop/Start simply doesn't work in winter.

Summary: your battery is probably OK.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:30:43 AM by ColinB »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »
I certainly wouldn’t replace the battery just because “stop/start” isn’t working, which is often the case. My battery is nearly 6 years old and still working fine.

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
im with downsizer i also have a 2018 jazz  i wouldnt change the battery just because the start stop dosent work ,mine doesnt unless ive done about 40+ miles its good that the censor detects that the battery is not FULLY topped i turn mine off as i personally think its a pain in the ass ,i'd rather let the engine run and keep oil pumping around  than stop it and let the oil drop to the sump ,not only that it must cause premature starter motor wear ,theres too much technology in cars these days ,we have just changed the wifes mk 2 from 2009 to 2014 and i much prefer that as apart from cruise control i can do without everything else.  merry christmas all

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 05:14:41 PM »
same here , my 2018 Sport S/S is hit and miss during the cold weather.
Seems worse the more current draw , eg. headlights on.
Also random is the battery symbol appearing.

Too much 'clever' technology , after a few months of ownership it tends to get switched off or ignored

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 06:00:27 PM »
Same here too, would rarely work as the car is seldom used and battery rarely  “ topped up”.
Watched Scotty Kilmer on YouTube and he speaks a lot of sense about Stop/Start. Says the ICE was not designed to be switched on and off, excess wear on components etc. I’ve disabled mine.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 06:37:42 PM »
Head over to CTEK select the correct charger that suits your Jazz, you'll not regret it. Cold weather finds a low charged battery before you notice.
Your battery should be fine once it's fully charged

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »
i always push the button near the gearstick and keep the engine on all the time, the amount of engine wear that this stop start causes over time must be horiffic

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 08:41:29 PM »
Head over to CTEK select the correct charger that suits your Jazz, you'll not regret it. Cold weather finds a low charged battery before you notice.
Your battery should be fine once it's fully charged

deleted
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:43:17 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
I certainly wouldn’t replace the battery just because “stop/start” isn’t working, which is often the case. My battery is nearly 6 years old and still working fine.

thats good to hear, the most i have had from a battery is 9 years and i did that twice on two cars a long time ago

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
Same here too, would rarely work as the car is seldom used and battery rarely  “ topped up”.
Watched Scotty Kilmer on YouTube and he speaks a lot of sense about Stop/Start. Says the ICE was not designed to be switched on and off, excess wear on components etc. I’ve disabled mine.

how did you disable it, i know there is devices you can plug in if you want to remove some interior panels to keep it disabled all the time  but not seen any for the jazz or do you keep pushing the button every time like i do?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »

Watched Scotty Kilmer on YouTube and he speaks a lot of sense about Stop/Start. Says the ICE was not designed to be switched on and off, excess wear on components etc.
Wrong.
Some ICEs are designed to be switched on and off, so mr. Kilmer should not generalize: considering the quantity of hybrid vehicles running on our streets, we should see a massacre of engines due to the amount of switchings on/off, on the contrary hybrid ICEs appear to be the most reliable engines we have.
About the 1.5 sport battery, it's the same of the standard 1.3GK so sadly the list is very short.

Yuasa YBX7053 (the OEM part)
Banner 55515
MIDAC Itineris EFB JIS  mod IT55J EFB
Enduroline 048EFB

The battery must be EFB since it has to bear  higher recharge currents and more charge/discharge cycles.
So do not use standard (and cheaper) batteries, and do not use AGM batteries since the battery bay under the engine bonnet is not almost fresh to keep the AGM in low working temperatures.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 12:13:28 PM by jazzaro »

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »

Watched Scotty Kilmer on YouTube and he speaks a lot of sense about Stop/Start. Says the ICE was not designed to be switched on and off, excess wear on components etc.
Wrong.
Some ICEs are designed to be switched on and off, so mr. Kilmer should not generalize.
About the 1.5 sport battery, it's the same of the standard 1.3GK so the list is very short.

Yuasa YBX7053 (the OEM part)
Banner 55515
MIDAC Itineris EFB JIS  mod IT55J EFB
Enduroline 048EFB
Perhaps I should have written it’s not good for a ICE engine to be switched on and off. You’re quite right that the latest cars have been designed to stop/Start.

how did you disable it, i know there is devices you can plug in if you want to remove some interior panels to keep it disabled all the time  but not seen any for the jazz or do you keep pushing the button every time like i do?
Like you I push the button every time.  Tiresome but if it saves the starter motor well worth doing.I’m sure Honda won’t replace all these starter motors when they fail prematurely out of warranty.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
I’m sure Honda won’t replace all these starter motors when they fail prematurely out of warranty.
I'm pretty sure that starter motors for S&S engines are not the same part of a non-S&S engine, so there are no matters to think that a S&S starter motor will fail before standard ones. Such as batteries and alternators, starter motors are more robust considering the presumed hardest life.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:28:12 PM by jazzaro »

Tags: