Author Topic: Goodbye Jazz  (Read 4490 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Goodbye Jazz
« on: July 31, 2020, 06:47:47 PM »
After owning four Jazz cars over 14 years I have moved my last one on and now run a 14 plate 1.8 SE Plus Civic. It was owned by my son, a semi retired garage owner, so I know the car and its history.
For anyone contemplating buying a Jazz reliability is a big point. In my 14 years of jazz ownership I had only one component failure. That was  a rear brake caliper that seized, easily replaced.
Why am I changing? I wanted something different and the Civic was available at a good price but it's still a Honda.

Regards, Vic.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:11:07 PM by VicW »

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Goddbye Jazz
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
As someone who has moved the other way (Civic to Jazz) I really liked the Civic and I hope you'll keep us informed of your Civic experience. I wish you many happy miles in the Civic!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Goodbye Jazz
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
After owning four Jazz cars over 14 years I have moved my last one on and now run a 14 plate 1.8 SE Plus Civic. It was owned by my son, a semi retired garage owner, so I know the car and its history.
For anyone contemplating buying a Jazz reliability is a big point. In my 14 years of jazz ownership I had only one component failure. That was  a rear brake caliper that seized, easily replaced.
Why am I changing? I wanted something different and the Civic was available at a good price but it's still a Honda.

Regards, Vic.

One thing you will miss is mpg, maybe not too much if you don't do many miles. I love my Civic except when time comes to fill the tank ( and it needs filling too often, and costs too much ).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:09:46 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 09:40:52 PM »
How do you find going back to a manual Vic?

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »

I only picked it up yesterday and have just taxed it today being the first of the month Pete.
Going back to a manual will be a steep learning curve but it becomes second nature again plus getting to know how the car reacts to different circumstances. I am just off for an 80 mile drive over roads I know including two towns,open roads, dual carriageways and bypasses but the first thing i will do is refuel it and get an idea of the fuel consumption. I assume the on board computer is as optimistic as the Jazz.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:19 AM »

I only picked it up yesterday and have just taxed it today being the first of the month Pete.
Going back to a manual will be a steep learning curve but it becomes second nature again plus getting to know how the car reacts to different circumstances. I am just off for an 80 mile drive over roads I know including two towns,open roads, dual carriageways and bypasses but the first thing i will do is refuel it and get an idea of the fuel consumption. I assume the on board computer is as optimistic as the Jazz.

Vic.

We now tend to use the Jazz for shorter urban journeys and the Civic for longer ones, although when both of us had MK1 Jazzes we traveled length and breadth of UK with no problems.  Civic urban MPG sucks big-time, you can get it up on longer runs by using 6th - but still not anywhere near as good as Jazz ( but for some reason the Civic - despite having a larger capacity engine does pretty much the same revs at 70mph as the Jazz does ). There is more room for passengers inside Civic and rear centre armrest is good, the boot is a different shape to Jazz which means I can get bag of golf clubs in Civic  ( diagonally ) without taking woods out of bag, but overall boot not hugely bigger than Jazz - and later Civics lost the 'magic seats'.  Some of the best things about Civic are the 6 speed gearbox, large digital speedo just under windscreen and the better designed and larger controls.   As I said Jazz is better in urban environment and a very practical car ( even better if only they had kept the twin spark engine - sigh... )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:31:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:48 PM »
After owning four Jazz cars over 14 years I have moved my last one on and now run a 14 plate 1.8 SE Plus Civic.

I did the same as you and have never regretted it, as far as I am concerned there is really no comparison the Civic is a different driving experience and I would not consider going back to a Jazz, even my OH prefers the Civic both to drive and for comfort especially for any distant or longer trips.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »
Everybody is different. The Jazz suits our lifestyle but a crucial advantage for me, over the Civic, is the driving position. I found my 2007 Civic too low even with the seat height jacked up. If I wanted something bigger than the Jazz I would probably go down the HRV or Cross Star route.

But a walking pal of mine finds the Jazz driving position doesn't suit him - he much prefers the Civic after having a Jazz as a loan car.

The starkest difference I came across was with my younger brother. At the time (mid 80s) we both had Vauxhall Cavaliers. I find Vauxhalls near perfect in terms of driving position - he had to get rid of his because it wrecked his back!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 10:47:17 AM »
Everybody is different. The Jazz suits our lifestyle but a crucial advantage for me, over the Civic, is the driving position. I found my 2007 Civic too low even with the seat height jacked up. If I wanted something bigger than the Jazz I would probably go down the HRV or Cross Star route.

But a walking pal of mine finds the Jazz driving position doesn't suit him - he much prefers the Civic after having a Jazz as a loan car.

The starkest difference I came across was with my younger brother. At the time (mid 80s) we both had Vauxhall Cavaliers. I find Vauxhalls near perfect in terms of driving position - he had to get rid of his because it wrecked his back!

My wife has trouble getting in and out of Civic ( especially when car is parked against curb, making car even lower in relation to ground level ) - the Jazz is perfect height for her and her sisters - and the rear windows of the Civic are smaller,  they like the larger windows in the Jazz.  That rear spoiler in the Civic was the clincher though, I like it because it keeps following lights out of your interior mirror at night, my wife hates it because 'she can't see out of the back window'...... The upshot is she won't drive the Civic, I therefore end up driving both cars a lot of the time and where 6th gear is on the Civic there is reverse gear on the Jazz I have to be extra careful when driving jazz.... most car makers put reverse near the lower gears and have some kind of lifting collar or deliberate move to stop reverse being selected by accident, Honda put it near the higher gears and have no safety device...   I have to say though that the Civic is the only car I have fitted reversing sensors to,  as the rear of the car is very deceptive when looking in mirrors. I like the extra power of the Civic but hate filling the larger tank up too often.......
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:41:16 PM by culzean »

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
That rear spoiler in the Civic was the clincher though, I like it because it keeps following lights out of your interior mirror at night, my wife hates it because 'she can't see out of the back window'...

When I was setting the Civic for me I discovered that you can set the rear view mirror up in two positions. You can set it up so that you only see out of the portion above the spoiler or lower it slightly so that you see above and below the spoiler and see much more of the rearward view.
I am getting the hang of the Civic especially what the car is capable of in each gear. It's a very nice car and I am impressed with it so far.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
That rear spoiler in the Civic was the clincher though, I like it because it keeps following lights out of your interior mirror at night, my wife hates it because 'she can't see out of the back window'...

When I was setting the Civic for me I discovered that you can set the rear view mirror up in two positions. You can set it up so that you only see out of the portion above the spoiler or lower it slightly so that you see above and below the spoiler and see much more of the rearward view.
I am getting the hang of the Civic especially what the car is capable of in each gear. It's a very nice car and I am impressed with it so far.

Vic.

My rear view mirror has always been set to see whole of rear screen, but the spoiler does deal nicely with following lights at night ( unless it is a 4x4 right on your bumper ).. Civic is a lovely car, but as I said the mpg is nowhere near as good as Jazz..

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »
I have returned to the Jazz. Maybe it's an age thing but I could not come to terms with a manual gearbox again, I  had to think what I was doing all the time with regard to gear selection. I also had a problem with getting in and out of the car, something that the test drive did not show up.
It was my decision to change to the Civic but my son and I came to an amicable arrangement to change back, a lesson learnt!

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
Glad it worked out OK Vic. Absolutely nothing wrong with changing your mind in the light of experience.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 09:43:55 PM »
Glad to hear your happy again in your Jazz, give it a treat of full tank of V power & enjoy it.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »
I have returned to the Jazz. Maybe it's an age thing but I could not come to terms with a manual gearbox again, I  had to think what I was doing all the time with regard to gear selection. I also had a problem with getting in and out of the car, something that the test drive did not show up.
It was my decision to change to the Civic but my son and I came to an amicable arrangement to change back, a lesson learnt!

Vic.

Very interesting outcome! If the Civic was automatic, would you keep it?

Tags:

anything