Author Topic: Honda service plan  (Read 2941 times)

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
Honda service plan
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
As the car is over 3 years old now, Honda dealer offered a 3 years service plan for £660.
Year 1 & 2 is service level 12
Year 3 is service level 12+

To me it is very expensive...

I used to drive Toyota cars and if the cars are over 5 years old they offer the more cheaper service.

This particular Honda dealer doesn't offer the cheaper alternative for older Honda cars. But I know some other do similar to Toyota scheme.

Anyone have any thoughts on these service plan.?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Honda service plan
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »
Looks a bit pricey to me with no real savings on pay as you go. Just one thing though - is your car a CVT? The transmission fluid needs changing every 2 years if so and that adds £85 to the cost of the service when it's due.

You should also get free break down cover with that. I did on the last plan I had.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Looks a bit pricey to me with no real savings on pay as you go. Just one thing though - is your car a CVT? The transmission fluid needs changing every 2 years if so and that adds £85 to the cost of the service when it's due.

You should also get free break down cover with that. I did on the last plan I had.
I think the Honda Assist breakdown cover is provided with the Honda dealer service, either as part of a service plan or pay as you go.  The extended service plan I had with my Mk 2 for years 6,7 and 8 included the MOT, so that's a further saving of about £100.

John Marshall

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
I'm at the end of my 5 year plan that came with the car and Honda have offered me another three years for over £900.

No thanks Mr Honda

John

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
They certainly don't look like value for money any more.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »
I'm at the end of my 5 year plan that came with the car and Honda have offered me another three years for over £900.

No thanks Mr Honda

John
I've now checked back, and the extended service plan for years 6 & 7 on my Mk2 manual transmission cost £479 in 2013, including the two MOT's.  No doubt the cost for cvt would have been higher.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
As the car is over 3 years old now, Honda dealer offered a 3 years service plan for £660.
Year 1 & 2 is service level 12
Year 3 is service level 12+

To me it is very expensive...

I used to drive Toyota cars and if the cars are over 5 years old they offer the more cheaper service.

This particular Honda dealer doesn't offer the cheaper alternative for older Honda cars. But I know some other do similar to Toyota scheme.

Anyone have any thoughts on these service plan.?

This could give you an indication.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/used/service-plans.html

It is for approved used cars but might help you make a judgement.

Twd99

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:01:38 PM »
I think I will decline the offer as it cost around £220 a year. The car is a manual and does not need to change the CVT oil and I already have RAC family membership. So I wouldn't be getting any benefit s from their road assistant.

However, I will use the other Honda that offer an oil change and oil filter change and do the health check for around £100. I might as save the £120 for real repair work and get the air filter and pollen filter replace every year, still cheaper than their level 12/12+.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:35:56 PM »
Replacing the pollen and air filters is easy even for the mechanically challenged like me. More generally it makes you think about maintenance in the longer term (my current car has a service agreement but got a deal on that). What you need is to have the fluids and filters replaced when necessary and then somebody competent to do all the other checks.

Dealer servicing is a bit of a racket. My pal has a Nissan Leaf and Nissan have increased the cost of servicing to £149 for a basic service and £199 for the "full" service which includes a brake fluid change. This on a vehicle with very few moving parts and no oil changes needed.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »
I have a 5 year service plan purchased with the car.  At the 3rd annual service today, I turned down the option of extending the manufacturers warranty, and was warned that Honda Assist roadside recovery would lapse with the warranty.  However, they suggested that I ring them after the expiry next month, and they would reinstate the RAC cover.  All a bit odd!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »
I have a 5 year service plan purchased with the car.  At the 3rd annual service today, I turned down the option of extending the manufacturers warranty, and was warned that Honda Assist roadside recovery would lapse with the warranty.  However, they suggested that I ring them after the expiry next month, and they would reinstate the RAC cover.  All a bit odd!

Hmmm...the dealer we use renews it at each service, BUT, only if we specificlaly ask.  They didn't do it on one of the cars when its driver didn't ask and, of course, that was the one left stranded with a flat battery and Honda refusing to help.

They've also cut down the cover over the years - it used to be the full pan-European assistance cover, but now it's more like basic breakdown cover and it's UK only.   The details are at the bottom of this page under "Complimentary Roadside Assistance" - https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/breakdown-assistance.html

Tags: