Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 751770 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1665 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
I've just double checked with him. I was a bit out.

He paid £1250 for it, old chassis but new cells. His old pack was 13 years old and with a 15 year expected life he changed it early. Took him 1 hour, not bad as he'd never done it before.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1666 on: November 26, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
That's encouraging Kremmen (captain?) I'd like to go hybrid but my only option would be a Prius with interplanetary mileage 😊

I've never been a fan of the hybrid route. Like you, I tend to buy older cars, and while Japanese vehicles are generally the most reliable out there, hybrids are complex. Nice when they are new and under warranty, but I see a lot of danger from an older hybrid.

When I finally make the jump from internal combustion, I will probably try to go full electric - the drivetrain is far less complicated.

Likewise.
I feel that with a hybrid you are effectively carrying two power sources  and all the complicated electronics to switch between them.
Too much to go wrong.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1667 on: November 26, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »
Don't say that, I'm looking at a CrossStar next year :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1668 on: November 26, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
Just on hybrids I understand the complexity/reliability issues but Toyota seem to have got this form of power delivery sussed. Their hybrids do very well on reliability surveys.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1669 on: November 26, 2020, 02:01:19 PM »

Yours will be nice and shiny with a warranty ;)

Just on hybrids I understand the complexity/reliability issues but Toyota seem to have got this form of power delivery sussed. Their hybrids do very well on reliability surveys.

I think most of these reliability surveys get their data from warranty claims on new fleet cars. I'm not saying that Toyotas hybrids are going to be any more unreliable than any other car, just that the added complexity of a hybrid is going to increase the chances of a problem which could get expensive, or even beyond economic repair.

The electronics in a BEV are going to be no less complex that a hybrid, but mechanically, BEVs have the simplest drivetrain of all. I like things I can repair myself, while I'm still able to. I'm no duck egg when it comes to mechanical things, but I am more comfortable with all things electrical and electronic - it'll be like going back 30 years when I worked on electric forklifts!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1670 on: November 26, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »

Yours will be nice and shiny with a warranty ;)

I think most of these reliability surveys get their data from warranty claims on new fleet cars. I'm not saying that Toyotas hybrids are going to be any more unreliable than any other car, just that the added complexity of a hybrid is going to increase the chances of a problem which could get expensive, or even beyond economic repair.

My main car is a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid. So far (and I am touching wood as I type) it has been 100% reliable as far as the hybrid powertrain is concerned. However, it is a little stone age as the current model has a much more refined unit. For example, mine has a 2.5l petrol engine and two electric drive motors, one for each axle. It is hugely complicated with 2 separate electric circuits, a standard 12v battery and then the 48v cells, which steal boot space and require ventilation in the rear seats. The newer system is much more like the Honda architecture I believe.

I would love to jump to BEV but range anxiety is an issue for me at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:51:53 PM by richardfrost »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1671 on: November 26, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »

I think that will come with time, as will a decent charging infrastucture.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1672 on: November 26, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »

Yes. It's chicken and egg.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1673 on: November 26, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »

Yes. It's chicken and egg.
Well I am the chicken and the egg has not hatched yet for sure.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1674 on: November 26, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »
For me we are not there yet - close - but not there. I bought, new, one of the last Mk3 Jazzes in January this year. It was heavily discounted but even allowing for that, the jump to, say a 50kwh Renault Zoe was nearly £8000 even allowing for the government grant. The Zoe would do me range wise but not price and the lower running costs are not really significant for me as a very low mileage driver.

I looked at a 40 kwh Nissan Leaf with a journey we make about 5 times a year in mind. It's 120 miles round trip. There are charging stations around the destination but zap-map shows them to be frequently out of order. Driving at motorway speeds with the climate control on, the Leaf would struggle. I have an acquaintance who has a 40 kwh Leaf and he says that the best range he has got was 147 miles and he said the last few miles were "squeaky bum time."

On the chicken and egg argument, a low mileage EV would do me, even allowing for these 120 mile round trips, if the charging infrastructure was decent. It isn't so it wouldn't.

If I need a new car (I'm 72 so do the maths as they say) I will get an EV but only when a 200 mile one can be had for the price of a Jazz AND/OR when the infrastructure improves. I think by the mid 2020s we'll be there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1675 on: November 26, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »
If I need a new car (I'm 72 so do the maths as they say) I will get an EV but only when a 200 mile one can be had for the price of a Jazz AND/OR when the infrastructure improves. I think by the mid 2020s we'll be there.

I think it will be sooner than that.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/mg5/62129/mg-5-ev-review

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1676 on: November 26, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
It is a lovely car—all the benefits of Chinese technology. I would opt for the Excite. It doesn't have roof rails, keyless entry or rain-sensing wipers. All the things I wouldn't want.

I was amazed to see that, although the WLTP range is 214 miles, the City range is 276 miles. And all from a 52.5kWh battery which can charge from a 7kW charger in 8.5 hours and from a CCS charger, to 80%, in 50 minutes.
And all for only £1,110 more than a Crosstar.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1677 on: November 26, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »
I was amazed to see that, although the WLTP range is 214 miles, the City range is 276 miles. And all from a 52.5kWh battery which can charge from a 7kW charger in 8.5 hours and from a CCS charger, to 80%, in 50 minutes.
And all for only £1,110 more than a Crosstar.

...and don't forget the 7 year warranty. Robert Llewellyn liked it, apart from the odd rough edge.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1678 on: November 27, 2020, 04:50:36 AM »
Take the manufacturers range with a pinch of salt and wait for owner reviews.

Friend has a Jag iPace. Manufacturer said 225 but he says 175. He reckons the 225 is only achievable on certain days when no heating or aircon, wipers and he doesn't use the audio, etc.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1679 on: November 27, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »
Take the manufacturers range with a pinch of salt and wait for owner reviews.
That's the same as any car: EV or petrol. My sister-in-law has a Ford Focus 1.0L Ecoboost and she has never been near Fords figures for fuel-efficiency. On the other hand, I could probably get much nearer to Jaguar's iPace figures with my driving style.
The thing about WLTP figures is all cars are tested in similar conditions so, though you cannot use them for accurate assessment of range you can use them to compare one model/marque to another.

Tags:

anything