Author Topic: SD Card for Nextbase Dashcam  (Read 1415 times)

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
SD Card for Nextbase Dashcam
« on: May 24, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
Has anybody got any good advice about alternatives to Nextbase SD cards which are horrendously expensive.

I've got a GW322 dashcam and have just bought a rear view add-on camera. I am using a 32 GB Nextbase SD card and now need to increase to 64 or 128 GB. I bought the rear view cam when Nextbase had a 25% off weekend deal. I don't want to pay more for the card than I did for the camera!

I've been looking at Sandisk high endurance, extreme etc., which have fairly good reviews on Amazon. As we seldom do long journeys, a 64 Gb card should be adequate.

Any recommendations from experience of non-Nextbase SD cards would be appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: SD Card for Nextbase Dashcam
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 03:29:44 PM »
I use Sandisk cards for Nextbase and all my cameras. Never had the least problem in many years of use.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
I would second the SanDisk recommendation. I have a 32g card in my dash cam which seems to work perfectly well.
What I would add is use a class 10 card as these are made for motion pictures. Class 4 is more for photos.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:25:28 PM by trebor1652 »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

AlanTR

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies - I'll be going for Sandisk.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »

Be very careful where you buy them from, many ebay and third party Amazon sellers sell fakes, and some of them are very good fakes - including identical retail packaging.

I would advise sticking to Amazon themselves, MyMemory, 7dayshop, etc., or reputable high street sellers.

What they do is buy up small capacity (2-4-8GB) or faulty cards, then reprogram them to show as larger capacity 32/64/128GB cards and fake the labelling.They appear to work perfectly for a while, until you pass the original capacity - at which point they start to overwrite existing data.

If you want to test suspicious cards, he best way is to using a tool like H2testw.

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

guest9236

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »

Be very careful where you buy them from, many ebay and third party Amazon sellers sell fakes, and some of them are very good fakes - including identical retail packaging.

I would advise sticking to Amazon themselves, MyMemory, 7dayshop, etc., or reputable high street sellers.

What they do is buy up small capacity (2-4-8GB) or faulty cards, then reprogram them to show as larger capacity 32/64/128GB cards and fake the labelling.They appear to work perfectly for a while, until you pass the original capacity - at which point they start to overwrite existing data.

If you want to test suspicious cards, he best way is to using a tool like H2testw.

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

That is very interesting,I had no idea about this underhanded fakery, many thanks Sparky Paul, for the info.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
That is very interesting,I had no idea about this underhanded fakery, many thanks Sparky Paul, for the info.

They rely on the fact that most people just shove the cards in their phones, it shows up as 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, etc., and everything seems to work. It's only a few months down the road, when the files exceed the original capacity, and all the photos you've taken previously get corrupted.

Buyers think the card has gone faulty and throw it away, when it was actually faulty from the start.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »

They rely on the fact that most people just shove the cards in their phones, it shows up as 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, etc., and everything seems to work. It's only a few months down the road, when the files exceed the original capacity, and all the photos you've taken previously get corrupted.

Buyers think the card has gone faulty and throw it away, when it was actually faulty from the start.

There is a lot of dodgy stuff out there,  and counterfeit makers tend to go for big brands ( that is why you need to be wary if something is too cheap,   like NGK or Denso iridium plugs at £2 each etc) - you don't always get what you pay for - but if it is too cheap it is probably tat.   https://ukantipiracy.co.uk/cars/ngk.html

Even the people who service aircraft were scammed by fakery out of far east - high tensile bolts that were anything but, dodgy bearings etc. etc. that is why they are so careful with their supply chains as a dodgy part can mean a lot of dead people.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:45:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »
And now there's the anti-5G flash drive https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
And now there's the anti-5G flash drive https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220 .

Now there's enterprise for you.

Tags: