Author Topic: Driver side wiper arm seizing/weak return spring  (Read 834 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Driver side wiper arm seizing/weak return spring
« on: May 18, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
The driver's side wiper arm has started to seize at the hinge point where the spring should keep it tensioned against the windscreen. The effect is that as the wiper moves up the windscreen and opens the hinge, the spring doesn't pull it back down as it lowers so the wiper is lifted off the windscreen.

Common issue? Easy fix? I tried opening and closing the hinge many times to loosen it, but could feel that the spring wasn't enough to pull it closed. Not sure if it's possible to dismantle?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Driver side wiper arm seizing/weak return spring
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:41:40 PM »
The driver's side wiper arm has started to seize at the hinge point where the spring should keep it tensioned against the windscreen. The effect is that as the wiper moves up the windscreen and opens the hinge, the spring doesn't pull it back down as it lowers so the wiper is lifted off the windscreen.

Common issue? Easy fix? I tried opening and closing the hinge many times to loosen it, but could feel that the spring wasn't enough to pull it closed. Not sure if it's possible to dismantle?

Is the joint stiff to move ?  maybe just a bit of dryness / corrosion and all that is needed if a squirt of decent lube ( not WD-40 standard stuff ) - try 3 in 1 advanced PTFE or similar ( ironic that WD-40 bought out 3 in 1 company to get some decent lubricants to slap WD-40 brand on ).  IIRC the joints are riveted and can't be disassembled without drilling out and replacing with a stainless screw or similar.  Make sure you cover screen up and don't get lube on the screen or blade though - otherwise you will get real smeary screen.

Other thing may be that spring has got tired and maybe needs replacing or entire arm ( easy to remove arm, just one bolt and splines ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
I think you're right. A good lube is the first thing to try. I'll see what I've got in the garage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »
I think you're right. A good lube is the first thing to try. I'll see what I've got in the garage.

The other thing is,  when you are sure the arm is pivoting freely and problem still there you may have to bend the thinner section of the arm slightly towards the screen to increase the pressure a little bit.  The main thing is though to make sure the pivot is as free as it can be before trying anything else.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »
I lubed the hell out of the pivot with 3in1 spray grease. It's freed up nicely. The return spring still feels very weak (compared to the passenger side RHD), but it is now functioning correctly. Hopefully it will last, otherwise I'll be hunting for a new arm.

Tags: