Author Topic: Winter Windscreen Care  (Read 9543 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Winter Windscreen Care
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
Bit premature, maybe for some, however I have a well needed query...

What is the best method of stopping the windscreen from icing up on owners cars, apart from the obvious of putting car under cover...

Hope jazz owners can help.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Winter Windscreen Care
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
I found that rainex or similar on the windows makes frost and ice much easier to remove (like Teflon coating the glass) - rainex lasts a long time on side windows,  but front and rear screens where the wiper covers it will need re-doing every couple of weeks.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
I tried RainX on a previous car. Thought it was great during the day but always gave me flaring and distortions at night. As Culzean says, you have to redo the windscreen very regularly if you need the wipers.
I found the best method was a sheet of the bubble wrap with the tiny bubbles, trapped in both front doors, and with the wipers on top to hold it against the screen. Also makes it easy to remove any overnight snow.
How well it works for you depends on the local yobs. I never had any bother, either at home or work.

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:48:05 AM »
I found that rainex or similar on the windows makes frost and ice much easier to remove (like Teflon coating the glass) - rainex lasts a long time on side windows,  but front and rear screens where the wiper covers it will need re-doing every couple of weeks.

I would never again put Rainex (or similar) on a front windscreen. After a while it creates a fog when using wipers in the rain (unless you want to replace the product every few weeks right through the year). It is almost impossible to remove - never again! It is good on side windows to help snow slide off.

Best to use a windscreen cover or deicer IMHO.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »
After a while it creates a fog when using wipers in the rain
I found that too.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »
I would never again put Rainex (or similar) on a front windscreen.
I put Rainex on the passenger side of the windscreen where the wipers don't reach but not on the wiped area.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
I use Rainex on all windows where it does an excellent job but never on the windscreen. Past experience showed that it worked fine until you put the wipers on when the screen was very smeary and the wiper blades juddered.
It was difficult to remove but eventually found that brake cleaner and meths removed it. Both are non oily.
I also had to replace the wiper blades.

Vic.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Winter Windscreen Care
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
I use Turtle Wax ClearVue Rain Repellent all year round (re-apply every 2 months) on the windshield. Never seen fog or smearing, but maybe that's due to how i put it on:
1) thoroughly clean the window (+ clay, cleanser polish)
2) 3 times up-side-down the bottle to load a big make-up pad for use half the windshield, wipe until it dries. Repeat for other half.
3) wait 30-60 minutes
4) Repeat 2) and 3)
5) Wipe the windshield crystal clear with a non-woven microfibre glass cloth and some sprays demi-water.

For rear- and side windows i use the same sealant as on the paint and wheels — FK1000P.

But this all doesn't prevent ice not freezing on the windows, it's just easier to remove and then leaves a crystal clear view. When it's freezing or snowing i just use a windshield cover and de-ice the other windows with plain cold water.

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
I have used Gtechnic G5 for 5 years on my Jazz on all Windows an i Works perfect, apply it twice a year an never had any problems with the window wipers.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
I found the best method was a sheet of the bubble wrap with the tiny bubbles, trapped in both front doors, and with the wipers on top to hold it against the screen. Also makes it easy to remove any overnight snow.

That's so simple, but it never occurred to me... and I have tons of the stuff lying about.

I think you have changed my life Jocko, no more newspaper for me!  ;)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the advice on Rain-x, I got some at work on secret santa and I'm sure I read somewhere not to use it on the windscreen.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
I've never tried Rainex and almost bought some last week in Halfords. I didn't in the end. I've had a bit of a problem with Autoglym Aqua Wax - I still think this is a great product but I noticed a slightly waxy deposit on my windscreen after the last wash with this product and this was especially noticeable when the wipers were on. Eventually they wore it away but I am now thinking any sealant or wax product needs to be kept well away from the windscreen and that probably includes Rainex and similar products.

What this proves to me is that Aqua Wax, and presumably other spray on waxes, really do leave a meaningful deposit of protection. On side windows it's great and water just beads off.

But the windscreen needs to be actually clean, really clean with no protective products on at all. I might invest in a windscreen cover instead.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Last couple of times I have cleaned windows with Turtle wax clearvue glass cleaner (this is just a cleaner,  does not leave a repellent film behind),  was very happy with the way it removed the gunge from inside front screen and made wiper action smoother.  Having tried Rainex on windows that get swept with a wiper I would not use it again as it results in smearing - on side windows it works well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:01:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »
I have been using Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax for many years, it is an easy way to maintain a good shine on the paintwork, but I don't use it on the windscreen or on any glass.  I used to use it on the side and rear windows but found it left streak marks that were visible from the inside on bright days.  Now I clean the windscreen and other glass with Autoglym Glass Polish. It gives great results removing any wax contaminates and the screen is wonderfully clear with the wipers on.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
I find the Autoglym Glass Polish very good too. I also use Black Diamond Quick Glass. Never used Autoglym Fast Glass, but it is supposed to be even better than their Glass Polish.

Tags:

anything