Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 13673 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Seen today
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
My wife and I went for a short walk this morning (she is going stir crazy) and what drove past us but a Nash/Austin Metropolitan. The phot is not the actual car I saw but an identical stock photo.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
I passed one of these last week, it was in immaculate condition as in your photo, turquoise  and white, with white wall tyres. This was in Manchester

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 09:07:42 AM »
These vehicles turn up at car shows and cause interest from younger motorists, they have never driven one...
Popluar with mid blue and yellow top over cream.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
You have to admit they are unusual. They were unusual back in the day never mind now. Whenever I see an old car out on the road I immediately think, what would it be like to drive one of those now after years of driving modern cars.
Had cause to dig out this photo of one of my old cars in the last few days.

Cost me £12 to buy (the cost of the new clutch the guy had just fitted). After a bit of work, it gave thousands of miles of reliable motoring and would even return 30 mpg on a run. Loved that car but I wouldn't want to be using it as a daily driver now. Nor having to do the maintenance.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »
Did that one have the side valve engine Jocko? My first car was an Anglia that looked pretty like that one.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »
Love that registration number Jocko, I can think of a few people that would suit

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 11:47:01 AM »
It had the 1172 cc side-valve engine. I had a head-on with a lorry turning across my path and back then you couldn't retain the number plate. The local scrappy said he could fiddle selling the plate so we got £200 for it. Last time I saw it it was on a puce coloured 911. It must be on retention at the moment as it is not showing on the DVLA site at present.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
I was Beetle nut for 30 years,over time it dawned on me how much more enjoyable motoring would be when I borrowed a SAAB 96 . Beetles were easy to work on 3 spanners etc oil & dreasing every 3k miles
Motorways wear out older cars other drivers dont appreciate the differances so time to change'

After that I tried SAAB 99's, Audi 80's then took to Subaru Legacy / Outbacks in the 1990's

We then came across a Jazz demo in 2002 just under £10,000 have has 6 other Jazz & kept my 1991 Legacy

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
Talking about more enjoyable motoring.

I recall around 1960 having a 1950 series 1 ragtop Landrover and going on holiday to Loch Lomond from Birmingham.
It required a very early morning start and it was late evening before we got to the campsite.

In later life there was a couple of further Landrovers, several Austin Metros/Rover 100s, then a Freelander, before moving onto what is now my 4th Jazz, in which I would have no hesitation in repeating that journey today and I guess probably much quicker.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »
Also went to Scotland camping in a couple of MK1 Landrovers in late 60's,  max 50mph all the way, remember camping at Ullapool, seemed miles from anywhere ( and it is ) - and Eilean Donan castle, still a magical place in a beautiful setting.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
Our first car was a Vauxhall Velox that felt a bit strange and then I discovered that it only had one rear brake working. I got rid of that and bought a Standard Vanguard with a new engine. That was very comfortable and we kept it for a couple of years before it was replaced by a Ford Anglia with the sidevalve 100E engine similar to the Prefect mentioned above. I cured the reluctant vacuum powered wipers by fitting a second vacuum tank, something I repeated on a later Ford Zephyr.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »
Our first car was a Vauxhall Velox that felt a bit strange and then I discovered that it only had one rear brake working. I got rid of that and bought a Standard Vanguard with a new engine. That was very comfortable and we kept it for a couple of years before it was replaced by a Ford Anglia with the sidevalve 100E engine similar to the Prefect mentioned above. I cured the reluctant vacuum powered wipers by fitting a second vacuum tank, something I repeated on a later Ford Zephyr.

Vic.

Never understood those vacuum powered wipers, the faster you went the slower the wipers went,  and going uphill in a rainstorm was not for the fainthearted.... going downhill on the other hand the wipers worked great....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
replaced by a Ford Anglia with the sidevalve 100E engine similar to the Prefect mentioned above. I cured the reluctant vacuum powered wipers by fitting a second vacuum tank, something I repeated on a later Ford Zephyr.
Never understood those vacuum powered wipers, the faster you went the slower the wipers went,  and going uphill in a rainstorm was not for the fainthearted.... going downhill on the other hand the wipers worked great....
[/quote]

They were powered by induction manifold depression, wider throttle openings meant lower depression/vacuum meant worse wipers. Vacuum was stored in a tank, the second tank increased the available vacuum.

Vic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »
Brother and I bought a 1953 Ford Prefect with 1172sv engiine,,,  rebuilt it.. Learned car diy..

First car I owned myself was a  £30 1929 Riley 9 Monoaco with fabric body , and magneto ignition.. Carried a spare magneto as it tended to overheat and stop. Magneto in/out was  10 minute job..
Petrol tank moutnted on front bulkhead in engine bat over driver's feet.. H&S   whaotsthat?
Sold it for £80..

Those were the days  of unreliable motoring ...

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »
Yep - my Anglia had the vacuum wipers as well. It was also a pig to start but, to be fair, once it was going it never let me down.

Tags: