Author Topic: Radiotherapy  (Read 602 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Radiotherapy
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »
My wife was due to start Radiotherapy on Monday. Three weeks, five days a week. It is only about 15 minutes a go but a two-hour drive. Today they phoned to say they are having to postpone it, initially for two weeks, but who knows how long it may be delayed.
She is extremely disappointed as this was more or less the end of her cancer treatment and she was beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. She has had the aiming marks tattooed on her body ready for therapy.
They say it will not be detrimental to her prognosis but it is worrying. Her initial surgery was delayed after they found a pheochromocytoma on her adrenal gland, a more serious complaint than the cancer. She just wants it all over.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Radiotherapy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
I understand your wife's concern completely Jocko as a bit of a radiotherapy veteran myself. I had 20 sessions of External Beam Radiotherapy to my prostate in 2016. All good but the PSA started rising again and after a raft of scans, they found a small spread to lymph nodes. I have just completed 9 sessions of SABR (stereotactical ablative radiotherapy - highly focussed on small areas) and was relieved that I finished this just before the Covid 19 thing hit.

Worth noting, however, that very few cancers grow significantly over a 2 week period or even a bit longer. They drummed that into me at my diagnosis because I didn't start treatment for 4 months (albeit I was on hormone pills).

Best wishes to you and your wife. I'm sure it will be fine although well worth keeping on top of the situation.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Radiotherapy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:39:49 PM »
Hope everything is well Jocko, of course it is worrying.

Not nearly so important as your situation, mam's weekly visits to the physio after her hip replacement have been cancelled. I think she's rather relieved after last week's gruelling session... ;D

She's not so fussed about being stuck in the house though.

Best wishes, look after yourselves.

Tags: