Author Topic: few rust spots on rear tow ring  (Read 1059 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
few rust spots on rear tow ring
« on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
anyone else got some tiny spots of surface rust starting to appear on the ring at the rear of the car under the bumper?

looks like on the welds and most got wiped off with autoglym

cheers
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:27:07 PM by monkeydave »

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
Re: few rust spots on rear tow ring
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
Same on mine. Tiny spots though. It looks like it starts on the welds and the red stain has run making the paint the wrong colour.
I’m not the slightest bit concerned though. I’m certain it will out last either me or the rest of the car.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:55:15 PM »
Same on mine. Tiny spots though. It looks like it starts on the welds and the red stain has run making the paint the wrong colour.
I’m not the slightest bit concerned though. I’m certain it will out last either me or the rest of the car.

glad im not the only one, just dont want it spreading onto the main body of the car overtime and yes most of mine is on the welds too

thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »

glad im not the only one, just dont want it spreading onto the main body of the car overtime and yes most of mine is on the welds too

thanks

Welding burns off the electro-zinc coating on steel and makes area around weld more prone to rusting.  Any steel panel below the 'waist' of a modern car ( from bottom of windows down ) will be made from electro-zinc coated steel, in certain areas it will be high strength BH ( bake hardening ) steel, which as the name suggests it gets harder when passed through paint ovens, which means still able to be pressed into shape when soft but does not achieve its full strength until exposed to reasonable heat ( also hardens more slowly at room temperature,  so after about 6 months in storage a roll of steel or press blanks were unusable and it was like pressing spring steel and it cracks and springs back ).

https://automotive.arcelormittal.com/products/flat/HYTSS/BH

Some steels for things like door pillars and chassis are so tough they have to be pressed in a hot state, so any anti-corrosion coatings would need to be applied to finished pressing rather than the roll of steel.

https://automotive.arcelormittal.com/products/flat/PHS/usibor_ductibor
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:20:24 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
just did some pics for anyone who is interested

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
right i got rid of the rust with a rust eater and then used some undersealer to finish off
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:34:11 PM by monkeydave »

Tags: