Author Topic: I shift not behaving  (Read 1413 times)

guest5079

I shift not behaving
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
I am experiencing a niggle with my  I shift. However could find no reference to problems with the Jazz I shift  only on the Civic  on their forums and none cover my problem.  On occasion if climbing a hill and it doesn't want to change from 4th to 3rd, if I press the loud peddle down and then release it slightly it usually produces the resultant gear change BUT sometimes it will change from 4th to 3rd and then try to come back again as if in neutral for a split second and then select 3rd. No crunching  noise only an increase in revs and the indicator flashing down up and down to 3rd.  It is only in this situation it occurs. NO fault codes come up.  It also seems to be associated with either  very cold or very hot days.  I have never had any problems selecting gears with the flappy paddle nor selecting first/neutral/reverse which appear to be the normal hiccups. The Civic problems all appear to be the clutch/gear selector involving reverse and selection of all gears with Honda asking some £2000 plus for new parts. I am not aware of any clutch problems and 98% of the time all works normally. I can only hope that this is a) an anomaly or b) a software issue. There is a company that repairs the unit in question but it seems some can't be repaired because Honda won't release the parts. Like the gearbox repairers  on the mK1  this firm charges considerably less for a rebuilt actuator unit ( I think under £200) than Honda's pie in the sky prices.
Any ideas please?

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Re: I shift not behaving
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
I presume you are in 'auto' at the time ? I NEVER use aut (unless i'm eating an ice cream) always the flappy paddles, do you have this problem when using them ?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
Absolutely no problem when using flappy paddles. Only as described. Pulling up hill in 4th, with the good old programming for economy, the gear box thinks OK engine can cope!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think otherwise and try to downshift to 3rd. I get this peculiar flash on the indicator moving between 3rd and 4th and then back to 3rd a rise in revs and then it changes down after it's little hiccup. Has happened once when I wanted to get a move on and tried to go down a gear into 3rd by pushing the throttle down. Now if I want to hurry up I use the paddles, no problems here.
Now the salesman told me to push the throttle down  a short way then release it and it will change down a gear. According to the book it just says push the throttle to the floor to get it to change down as you would with a proper auto kick down. Perhaps this is the problem by doing what the salesman says I might be confusing it.
Sorry a bad morning, found rust where I had told the dealer about the paintwork 3 months after buying the car. So  much for their piggin 2 yrs warranty.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
My i-Shift jerks in 1st gear especially when engine is cold. It is like when someone lift the clutch up suddenly on a manual car. I have not experienced your problem and my Jazz has done over 80k miles.

May be try another dealer to see ECU updates are available? Alternatively, use Shell V-Power as it tends to hold the lower gear for longer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:16:54 PM by 123Drive! »

Tags: