Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694627 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
Hi all
I go to the gym with my wife and have been for two years now. she goes to swim at the pool and I go to the gym and then for a swim. I don't go to perve, because my cancer drugs give me muscle wastage and bone thinning I go to offset the drug effect, retain and build muscle and generally feel better in myself. Not all people go to a gym for the earlier stated reasons. The gym is 4 miles from my house and the entrance to the leisure centre is 100 yds from the car park.
Walking to the gym is not feasible the time I get home from work, I go four times a week, go for walks with my wife two of the non-gym days, run around playing football with my grand kids or swimming or other excursions every Saturday. i also fit in gardening, shopping, looking after three jazz's as well as spending 45 hours a week at work plus travel each day. I'm not going to sit around bemoaning the cancer but get on with life and the gym stops the walls closing in. I might even think about retiring soon as there are lots of household projects I don't get the time to do with working and yes I'm well past retiring.

Well said John. There's a lot of ignorance around gym users. Some of these 'fat' people may have physical or mental health issues or be on medication that causes them to gain weight. Some can't walk that far unaided but can do really well on a gym machine that provides resistance but low impact. I will admit there are some lazy fattys too but I would caution against generalisation.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
Curves isn't a gym where people go to exercise. It is a vanity thing, where women who don't want to exercise or diet go to try and get trim. They just stand on a machine and the machine moves them. The only thing that gets trimmed is their bank account!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »
Hi all
I go to the gym with my wife and have been for two years now. she goes to swim at the pool and I go to the gym and then for a swim. I don't go to perve, because my cancer drugs give me muscle wastage and bone thinning I go to offset the drug effect, retain and build muscle and generally feel better in myself. Not all people go to a gym for the earlier stated reasons. The gym is 4 miles from my house and the entrance to the leisure centre is 100 yds from the car park.
Walking to the gym is not feasible the time I get home from work, I go four times a week, go for walks with my wife two of the non-gym days, run around playing football with my grand kids or swimming or other excursions every Saturday. i also fit in gardening, shopping, looking after three jazz's as well as spending 45 hours a week at work plus travel each day. I'm not going to sit around bemoaning the cancer but get on with life and the gym stops the walls closing in. I might even think about retiring soon as there are lots of household projects I don't get the time to do with working and yes I'm well past retiring.

Well said John. There's a lot of ignorance around gym users. Some of these 'fat' people may have physical or mental health issues or be on medication that causes them to gain weight. Some can't walk that far unaided but can do really well on a gym machine that provides resistance but low impact. I will admit there are some lazy fattys too but I would caution against generalisation.

I purchased a cross trainer about 15 years ago for around £400,  I use it at home about 4 or 5 times a week - IMHO it is the best overall full body low impact machine you can get.  I doubt I would have got 15 years gym membership for £400 - best money I ever spent,  and I don't have to make a special effort to go anywhere to use it,  whenever I get 20 or 30 minutes free I can top my fitness up.     Many controlled trial have shown that it is better to go flat out a few times a week for say 10 to 20 minutes than to plod away for an hour or more at lower intensity,  it seems it is the peak effort that matters more than the duration.

My wife goes to local council run 'over 55' gym a couple of times a week so I do understand why people go to gym, it is just that it is funny to see them all trying to park closest to the entrance to avoid walking further than they absolutely have to,  so it looks as though their exercise is limited to when they are in the gym and they avoid any 'physical activity' out side the gym,  when using stairs and suchlike 'every day exercise ' does not figure in their thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:22:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #963 on: July 17, 2018, 02:37:40 PM »
it is just that it is funny to see them all trying to park closest to the entrance to avoid walking further than they absolutely have to,  so it looks as though their exercise is limited to when they are in the gym and they avoid any 'physical activity' out side the gym,  when using stairs and suchlike 'every day exercise ' does not figure in their thoughts.
I do agree with that part. It is really amusing to hear fit young things in the gym or at classes moaning about having to park three streets away!

I lost 4 stone mostly on the cross trainer at my gym and now get most of my exercise running on the hills near my home. It is important to get a mix of activities I think.

So back on the subject, why can't electric vehicles be fitted with pedals and dynamos so the occupants can do their bit to charge up the battery and keep fit at the same time?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #964 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Pretty much everyone I know who has done a lot of running has needed replacement knees and hips in later life. Those endorphins ( runners high) that circulate in your body are just to mask the damage being done to joints in lower body due to impact.  I saw a report many years ago which investigated the whole body fitness of various athletes, and runners and cyclists were way down the list due to the low number of muscles they use,  cross country skiers were the fittest followed by swimmers, because they use pretty much every muscle in their body,  but at low impact to their joints.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #965 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
So back on the subject, why can't electric vehicles be fitted with pedals and dynamos so the occupants can do their bit to charge up the battery and keep fit at the same time?
I have always advocated that for running the TV, so if you want to watch, you pedal.

My daily exercise is going up and down the 48 stairs to my flat, 4 or 5 times a day. Add to that another 14 stairs up to the loo (exercise ever increasing as me and my prostrate get older), and I get a fair work out for an old one.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
Watching an episode of Transport Evolved (from March) and it was saying that Beverley Hills has banned the charging of PHEVs at their public chargers. Seemingly PHEVs take a long time to charge their small capacity batteries and they were stopping full EVs from doing a rapid charge. It is not as though a PHEV needs to charge in the street, as, like a conventional hybrid, they can just drive home and use their base charger.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
Watching an episode of Transport Evolved (from March) and it was saying that Beverley Hills has banned the charging of PHEVs at their public chargers. Seemingly PHEVs take a long time to charge their small capacity batteries and they were stopping full EVs from doing a rapid charge. It is not as though a PHEV needs to charge in the street, as, like a conventional hybrid, they can just drive home and use their base charger.

Surely if a PHEV is allowed into a city emissions zone by virtue of its '145 mpg and ultra low emissions' (LOL) then it cannot use its ICE engine within that zone ? Which at average 30mpg while lugging 500kg of battery around is worse than a lot of 'normal' ICE cars, especially hybrids like Prius. So we have a situation where chargers are being used by 'the wrong people' - and so the inevitable contradictions /  problems begin.  I have never seen anyone 'hogging' a petrol or diesel pump at a garage.  Most company car drivers get their PHEV for lower BIK tax, going into congestion zones etc and then never charge the battery anyway, so will future entry by PHEV into congestion zones involve a check that you have enough battery power to complete you journey within the zone without using ICE power ?  It's all getting very complicated.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #969 on: July 23, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
I have always advocated that for running the TV, so if you want to watch, you pedal.

My daily exercise is going up and down the 48 stairs to my flat, 4 or 5 times a day. Add to that another 14 stairs up to the loo (exercise ever increasing as me and my prostrate get older), and I get a fair work out for an old one.

I must have being doing something wrong when I ran most days from 1978 to 2013..averaging approx 30 miles a week and taking part in half marathons..My joints are all intact..pity about my brain cells.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
The golf killed my knees.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #971 on: July 23, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
Tesla look to be in their death throes. I wonder which big motor manufacturer will jump in and snap them up?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-23/tesla-asks-suppliers-for-refunds-to-help-turn-a-profit-wsj-says

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #972 on: July 23, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
Tesla look to be in their death throes. I wonder which big motor manufacturer will jump in and snap them up?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-23/tesla-asks-suppliers-for-refunds-to-help-turn-a-profit-wsj-says

Big mouthed silicon valley company that was gonna kick Detroits as5 taken over by GM - I can see the headlines now. In 5 years people will be asking Elon who?

I wonder if TG dumped his TSLA shares in time,  he was so convinced they would make him a millionaire ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:24:14 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #973 on: July 24, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
Quite an interesting take on the Tesla situation by "Transport Evolved".

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #974 on: July 24, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
The golf killed my knees.
Try using a club instead. Much less painful.

Tags:

anything