Author Topic: Garmin Map Update Procedure  (Read 42919 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Garmin Map Update Procedure
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2023, 04:26:43 PM »
We call it  "Rip-off  Britain"   . More interested in short term profits than long term  customer goodwill.    Is it Hondas fault?    Not really, The difference is between Britain and Poland , or individual Honda dealerships within those countries.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2023, 06:03:03 PM »
Part of the service is "Manufacturer Vehicle Product Enhancement" whatever that is, perhaps it includes map update.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2023, 04:42:42 AM »
I doubt it, that's probably any other software or other updates they need to apply as informed by Honda but not a recall so we don't get to know

Another reason to use franchised dealers maybe as third party garages probably won't have knowledge
Let's be careful out there !

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2023, 12:21:09 PM »
Once again my car advises that I need to update the navigation maps. But when I load Gamin Express i get the message "No Updates Available.  Up-to-date Maps Map: BEV Europe 2023.10"  So why does my car think there IS an update.  How can I persuade my car that it's talking rubbish?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2023, 02:46:39 PM »
I guess it's basing its logic on it being a year since the last update ?

CB72

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2023, 03:53:53 PM »
I get the message too and a beep beep then its gone, no problem :D

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2023, 12:12:42 PM »
Curiously, I get this message every Tuesday morning as I drive out of Lidl's car park. Is the satnav passing judgement on my shopping preferences?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
Curiously, I get this message every Tuesday morning as I drive out of Lidl's car park. Is the satnav passing judgement on my shopping preferences?

That is interesting. If, indeed, this bong is the map update warning then I get it after I've picked up my morning paper and set off again. The bong occurs at roughly 50 yards from the paper shop.

It doesn't occur at any other time or in any other location.

CB72

• Approved Member
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2023, 02:29:59 PM »
Tried to update the map today but on Garmin Express it first says "Map Update Available" when I click on install I get the message "Vehicle Information Out of Date" see attachment. Is there a time limit between loading the USB stick and connecting to Garmin Express? I did the USB stick a couple of days ago.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2023, 04:46:12 PM »
Yes, I think it needs to be done within hours of loading the stick in the car or at least the same day

CB72

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2024, 03:49:41 PM »
Yes, I think it needs to be done within hours of loading the stick in the car or at least the same day
I reloaded the USB stick, didn't need to delete the previous download and took it to the PC within hours,  the download on the PC took just one hour, and only 10mins to install on the car. Can't see much difference on the map though,  at least it will stop the notification.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:51:38 PM by CB72 »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2024, 04:51:00 PM »
So, yesterday I had the little book/update icon appear on the navigation screen. I had a USB stick, which I formatted and put in the port.. pressed the update icon and it transferred the info to the stick successfully. I followed the instructional video, and downloaded the Garmin express set up on my laptop. Bunged the USB stick in and followed the prompts (add device etc). It took approx 1 hour 30 mins to successfully load the new Europe 2024 map to the stick. I then put the USB stick in the car's port, went to the Nav's settings and set up the install.. again following the video instructions. After driving around for approx 30 mins, the system told me the updates had successfully downloaded and I could remove the USB stick. The system does now show a map at the top of the list, Europe 2024. The Nav page does look slightly different, but appeared to be working fine. Satellites were sending the signal, the correct streets/roads were appearing correctly and my little car symbol was moving along the road as usual. However..
Today I made a journey to Cranwell, which is about 40 miles from my home. I knew roughly where I was going, so didn't really need to set the Nav until I got near Lincoln. This was the first thing I knew something was wrong. When I tried to key in the destination's postcode, the keypad would freeze after the first letter and a buffering symbol would appear. It wouldn't allow me to complete the postcode. Then the Nav would shut down and the screen revert to the home page. Nothing I did would allow me to input past the first letter of a postcode. Funnily enough though, if I went to the favourites/home destination, it would input my home address and give me directions... albeit with no audible instruction. I am currently reformatting the stick and downloading the update/map again. Will be interesting to see if I can install the map again and what happens again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 04:59:10 PM by Nicksey »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2024, 05:08:16 PM »
PS, prior to this the Nav worked fine and I did know about the 'where to' bug, which previously I didn't have. It seems downloading the 2024 map has bugged me this time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:11:38 PM by Nicksey »

CB72

• Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2024, 05:56:45 PM »
You might need to do Navigation>Settings>Restore Navigation Settings.
I had a similar problem a while back when trying to enter coordinates.
Restoring the Navigation Settings was my way out, all my favorites etc were still there afterwards.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2024, 04:08:57 AM »
That postcode freeze is exactly what happened last year, and the year before

They had to issue a second map update about a month after the first one

Nothing you can do but wait

There are posts here from a year and two years ago highlighting the same oroblem

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=15569.msg131015#msg131015
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 04:13:07 AM by Kremmen »

Tags: