Author Topic: Touchscreen display dimming in sunlight - can we stop it?  (Read 1616 times)

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
Touchscreen display dimming in sunlight - can we stop it?
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:30:43 PM »
Recently noticed that the display on my Jazz's audio system dims/brightens depending on 'ambient' conditions. So drive under trees and the display dims - just like your phone. However, that is something I personally don't like (want it a stable BRIGHT condition as these old eyes need lots of light!) and would like to switch off. I haven't looked at the manual yet but the display settings didn't seem to be much use.

Anyone know if you can turn the auto-brightness off?

Ta.
Dave
Carpe diem …

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Touchscreen display dimming in sunlight - can we stop it?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:56:46 AM »
I think what you’re seeing is that the dash illumination (presumably including the touchscreen) dims automatically when the headlights are on. The Jazz’s auto-light function is notorious for switching the lights on and off as you drive into and out of bright sunshine, and the dash illumination is linked to that. That’s sensible because most people wouldn’t want a bright display inside if it’s dark outside. Page 178 (or thereabouts) of the manual suggests there is some control of this (not tried it myself):

“Instrument panel brightness varies, depending on whether the exterior lights are on or off. The instrument panel dims to reduce glare when they are on.
Pressing the <illumination control knob at top right of display> switches the display.
Turn the knob to the right until the brightness display is up to max. This cancels the reduced instrument panel brightness when the exterior lights are on.
The brightness can be set differently for when the exterior lights are on, and when they are off.”

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
And to add, that at least in my Jazz, it is not possible to adjust instrument panel brightness until its dark enough outside for the auto-light switch headlights on. Switching the headlights manually on does not help. There is no mention about this in manual.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »
On the EX it will auto adjust using a "sunlight sensor".  This can be overridden by selecting the day/night button.  look at your navigation system manual on page 26 or thereabouts.

Tags: