Author Topic: Difficult returning wrongly supplied car parts  (Read 986 times)

pennpeel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
Difficult returning wrongly supplied car parts
« on: October 24, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
I ordered a calliper and a set of brake discs for my Honda, the site was a co.uk web site when they turned up they were from Germany.  I was not overly concerned they looked about right. I didn't try and fit them right away as I wasn't well then was away for the weekend. When i went to fit them the discs were to deep and tightened down on the stone guard so much so the disc could no longer spin the calliper also didn't adjust the handbrake properly.

I contacted the company, to say they had sent the parts in error. The first reply was sorry you should have reported the fault within 14 days. I replied that i appreciated that but  they were still sent wrongly.  I then got a reply that if i wanted to order new ones they would supply new items they suggest i used the chassis number, instead of the vehicle reg search engine on their site.  I don't want to risk another £80  which is how much I have so far wasted.  I even put them back on e-bay as i don't know what car they fit.  I thought There were laws regarding the supply of goods online or does that just for the UK? 

It looks like I'm going to have to put this down to experience, a bit gutting as i spent ages trying to fit the parts then took them off again to get the car road worthy, to buy them again and then go through the whole fitting process again. It looks likely this will be the outcome, but anyone suggest anything? Before I take them to the recycling centre!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Difficult returning wrongly supplied car parts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
Did you pay for them by credit card or Paypal?

pennpeel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
I paid for them via debit card. I normally use my credit card but forgot this time as I was trying to do  it quickly

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »
There is a minimum level of rights when shopping within the EU.

You can cancel any order within 14 days of receipt, during the 'cooling off period' and return the goods. However, you will have to pay the costs for returning the goods.

If the goods are not as described, faulty, damaged, etc., the 14 day limit does not apply.

This might be useful.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/shopping-consumer-rights/index_en.htm

From the link,

"Sometimes it's not immediately clear that your goods aren't what you ordered. For example, if you buy a new laptop online and you only realise some months later that the memory capacity does not match what you ordered. In these cases you are still entitled to a repair or replacement to bring the goods into conformity with what you ordered, or, where neither is possible, a price reduction or a refund."

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
When i went to fit them the discs were to deep and tightened down on the stone guard so much so the disc could no longer spin the calliper also didn't adjust the handbrake properly.

Just a thought, but if the discs are too thick and have a manufacturing fault, you just need to prove this to get a refund. Honda will publish specs of the discs, and you could photo the thickness as measured by a caliper and send the information to them. HTH

It is a problem when ordering car parts online. I try to use local motor factors, or Ebay due to its buyer protection.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
On Jazz the thickness for front discs is 19mm and 8mm for rear discs
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »
It sounds like the offset of the discs is wrong, and they have supplied the wrong parts, rather than faulty parts.

The OP has every right to return the goods, extracting a refund for the goods and return shipping is another matter, and if the company is registered outside of the UK, that adds further complication - regardless of where the goods are shipped from, if the company is UK registered, that will help.

Personally, I think I would be contacting the seller again, clearly setting out the issues and demanding a resolution, and pointing out that returning faulty or incorrectly supplied goods is not time limited. Also be aware that some debit cards issuers can help with purchases, Visa in particular have a chargeback system for debit cards.

If the OP doesn't want to pursue it, his only option is to sell the goods on. If he posts any identification from the boxes he has, I'm sure we can do a bit of detective work to find out what they do fit.

pennpeel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 07:31:41 PM »
Ok thankyou for the advise i'll look into it further. I have bought items more locally and started to fit them.  The rear callipers are quite a price I was surprised.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »
www.brakeparts.co.uk

are a good supplier for good quality brake friction and hydraulics. Certainly not the cheapest, but good stock of obscure parts, UK based, and a generally reliable supplier. IIRC remanufactured rear calipers are approx. £88 there, but you can find pattern calipers considerably cheaper elsewhere. A genuine caliper from a franchised dealer is a small fortune.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:49:48 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything