Author Topic: Service due.  (Read 1271 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Service due.
« on: July 29, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
My service is now due (I like to do it every 12 months), but I have decided to do very little this time round, as it is only 9,000 miles since I last serviced the car. I changed the air filter last year and it was clean. The pollen filter looks fine this year (there wasn't one last year!) and the car was given a check over prior to its MOT last month.
The gearbox was rebuilt in January so I know the transmission fluid is okay, and I normally check the coolant SG just before the start of the winter.
I do have engine oil and a filter on hand, and my son-in-law will change that for me as soon as he returns from holiday. I change the engine oil every 12 months, even if I have only done a couple of thousand miles.
Owners with newish cars will probably throw their hands up in horror at my service plans, but the car is 12 years old, has done 105,000 miles, and will probably succumb to rust before it dies mechanically. I check things like tyres, wipers, screenwash fluid myself (time was when I did all my own servicing and repair) and I am quite confident the car will soldier on.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Service due.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Think that's a good approach. Fluids and filters are the main things and, in truth, you don't get that much more for £200 at a dealer!

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
At a main dealer they'd give it a valet, top up the windscreen fluid and give you a list of faults that need immediate attention, I think they just about stop short of marching old dears down to the cash point to clear out their accounts, not bad for 200 quid!   ;D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
Owners with newish cars will probably throw their hands up in horror at my service plans

All sounds absolutely fine to me.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
Forgot to mention that all eight plugs were changed last year too. Used NKG BKR6E-11. Mk 1 doesn't use Iridium plugs, though I believe NKG BKR6EIX-11 is the Iridium equivalent. However, at £61 against £15 I decided not to go the Iridium route.

Tags:

anything