Author Topic: Dashcam Recommendations  (Read 16912 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dashcam Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 11:03:19 AM »
Those static pads have been criticised. I've not used any because they weren't available when I got mine. Once stuck the mount is solid and a bit of dental floss used like a saw easily gets them off.

I'll never use the buttons to capture anything. I just run it in realtime so I have a consecutive driving log of what happened and I know where it is. Viofo use super capacitors instead of battery so the final files gets closed properly and more reliably than batteries that fade over time.

Yes, I'm also using my old Nextbase hardwire kit to power the Viofo.

Dashcam Viewer is the best third party app to view the files which includes a location map:

Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
Doesn't the button with red triangle on it just lock the existing sequential 2 or 3 minute video clip from being overwritten and keep the timestamp etc. ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2022, 12:48:05 PM »
Dashcam Viewer is the best third party app to view the files which includes a location map:

That is impressive quality. Might finally make the jump to buying a Dashcam, having been on the fence for ages. Will wait for a little more feedback from Culzean I think, as no journeys planned in the next few weeks.

Also, what about rear view recording? Does anybody bother with that? Might be more important these days if rear end shunts are more likely now that jaywalking is not only legal but recommended.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
I run my Viofo in its native 2560x1440 mode, high bitrate and 30fps. You can go higher, or lower, but I find native to be the best as all the other resolutions are software adjusted as is the pseudo 60fps.

I've never been interested in running wires through the car for rear recording.

That screenshot isn't me being a member of the centre lane owners club, I've just passed a car and about to drift to the left :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:37:28 PM by Kremmen »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
When I got my Viofo I went out to the car, dried and polished the screen and fixed the clear plastic thingy. The next morning I went out and it was peeling off bigtime. I took it off and threw it away then glued the GPS mount directly to the screen. My camera came with 2.4 firmware. After a few weeks, I updated it to 2.5. However, after having issues Viofo suggested I went back to 2.4.
I do very little driving these days so I have my Nextbase camera on the rear screen, connected to a Poweradd battery pack. I plug it in before I set off and just leave it recording until I lock the car up for the night. Saves me running wires.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »
Kremmen. I see your version is Dashcam Viewer Plus and mine is just Dashcam Viewer. Is that because you paid to register yours?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2022, 04:55:42 PM »
Yes, I considered the few quid worth it.

I do on occasion like to view footage back to back and the 2 file limit was a pain.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2022, 07:49:51 PM »
I use VLC Media Player as it also allows me to capture still frames in the full definition of the video.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »
I use VLC Media Player as it also allows me to capture still frames in the full definition of the video.

I have been using VLC as well since getting Nextbase years ago,  the video playback in the nextbase app is proper pants.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2022, 04:38:17 AM »
I also use VLC most of the time. I only use DCV when I need to find somewhere quickly or watch more than the 3 minute single clip back to back.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »
Found this video test / review very helpful - didn't know about the H265 compression option before.   This is a couple of years old,  but don't think features have changed that much ?  The back to back test with V2 and V3 ( which has Sony Starvis low light chip ) is especially telling.  My Viofo V3 came with GPS mount in the box,  the polarizer was about £15 ( and no the polarizer does not need adjusting - have you ever adjusted your polarised sunglasses ? - it just clips on and works ) -  as an experiment put on a pair of polarised sunglasses and   rotate the whole of the Viofo polariser in front of them, when the mounting flanges on the viofo polariser are vertical everything will go black ( all light is being stopped ), rotate back to horizontal and the light re-appears.

Here is how a polarising filter blocks glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces ( it has no affect on reflected light from say chrome or stainless steel ) - it takes the glare off wet roads and car paint etc, as well as shiny plastic on car dashboards.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:33:21 PM by culzean »

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2022, 07:46:52 PM »
I've got mine ready to fit when the weather warms up. On our MK3, there seems to be little space to fit it other than quite far down the plastic front windscreen cover, to the left which I think will end up with a fair amount of lose power cable feed..

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2022, 10:06:28 PM »
Found this video test / review very helpful - didn't know about the H265 compression option before.   
Great video review, thanks. A lot of info and practical stuff but without the usual repetition and tedious chat. That's how to do a review. Like the look of the Viofo performance.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2022, 05:07:26 AM »
I've stuck with. 264 as I've been told that the Police can't often play .265 should you have need to forward a clip.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
I've got mine ready to fit when the weather warms up. On our MK3, there seems to be little space to fit it other than quite far down the plastic front windscreen cover, to the left which I think will end up with a fair amount of lose power cable feed..

Dashcam cannot protrude more than 10mm into the area swept by windscreen wipers if mounted above steering wheel in 'A' zone  ( actually area is 290mm wide - 145mm each side centreline of steering wheel ), outside 'A' zone it can encroach 40mm into area swept by wipers. You really want the lens to be looking through an area swept by wipers,  as the area outside wipers can get very dirty.  Some of the OEM sensors and cameras seem to be in the un-swept 'V' area in front of drivers mirror though...  The lens on the Viofo is right at the very bottom of camera body,  which is helpful when finding a suitable position ( may even be more helpful than local job centre LOL ).  I cable tied the power lead to the hinges of sun-visor after running it up the drivers 'A' pillar,  keeps it tidy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stickers-or-other-items-in-front-and-rear-windscreens/view-to-the-front-and-windscreen-obscuration
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:31:55 AM by culzean »

Tags: