Author Topic: auto idle stop  (Read 5896 times)

guest7247

auto idle stop
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Hi Ive had my Jazz 1.3 manual 2016 since September but have never got the auto idle stop to work.
Ive read the manual I only get an amber symbol on dashboard if I press the off button.Do you think its faulty?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: auto idle stop
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
Don't know if this is relevant but the auto stop didn't work on the Civic I had as a loan car when my Jazz went in for service. I was told it only starts working properly when the car reaches normal operating temperature. Checked this out with my daughter who has it on her Qashqai and it's the same on her car as well.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »
Yes I think it is faulty.  What warning symbols do you get?

guest7247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »
I get no symbols at all

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »
Then in my opinion, it's definitely faulty.  You should take it back.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Let us know how you get on. Interested to know.

guest7246

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:43 AM »
 8) Seems faulty to me. Have it checked.  ;)

guest7247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »
Thought so will get it checked out next week.Thanks for all your help

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
Possibly a silly comment, but as one who is generally easy on the brakes, I find that I have press the brake pedal harder than normal to make the 'idle stop' kick in.
So, although it is switched on by default, it hardly ever actuates during an average journey.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
If the amber A and circle is on the dash when you are driving then the auto stop is turned off.
It comes on when the auto stop works when you are driving/stopped.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
The idle stop can stop working if the cars computer systems lose track of the batteries charge level. This can happen if the battery has been charged. Disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a few minutes can fix this by reseting the system. There is a small black plastic box on the battery negative terminal, this is the Inteligent Battery Sensor which the car uses to asses the batteries charge level.

Here is a link, google will give more info.

http://www.hella.com/emergency/en/Intelligent-Battery-Sensor-543.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:01:55 PM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
Possibly a silly comment, but as one who is generally easy on the brakes, I find that I have press the brake pedal harder than normal to make the 'idle stop' kick in.
So, although it is switched on by default, it hardly ever actuates during an average journey.
By design, a moderate pressure on the brake pedal doesn't activate the auto stop. This enables the driver to temporarily over-ride the feature under conditions such as very short stops (eg creeping forward at a junction or roundabout). Under this situation a brake pedal warning symbol appears on the multi-function display.

There's a lot of discussion about the auto stop-start in the HR-V forum https://www.hrvforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=262&sid=2ab804ca43214568358a18498f8c28b5. We are still trying to understand what good (or bad) that "intelligent" battery sensor does. It doesn't need a lot of brain to realise that if the battery is down to 12V (as my HR-V's battery is if left for a week) then it needs a good charge irrespective of knowing the preceding charge history. I find that the auto stop start is more temperamental during the winter months than during the summer. One cause is that the vehicle takes longer to warm up, another is the cabin heating requirement (both these have their own symbols although the latter comes under the AC category) but the occurrence of low battery is also more frequent. Perhaps it needs the battery to warm up.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
By design, a moderate pressure on the brake pedal doesn't activate the auto stop.
I believe these comments apply to the CVT, whereas the OP states he has a manual. Brake pedal pressure is irrelevant.

... I find that the auto stop start is more temperamental during the winter months than during the summer. ... the occurrence of low battery is also more frequent. Perhaps it needs the battery to warm up.
Correct. One of the many criteria listed in the handbook that inhibits idle-stop is battery internal temperature. Not sure if the Intelligent Battery System mentioned by Deeps measures the battery temp directly, or if it just registers this as a low voltage. If the car has been cold-soaked (eg not garaged in near-freezing conditions) then the battery may not warm up sufficiently even on a long journey, and idle-stop doesn't work. You get a "Low battery" warning on the right-hand multi-function display indicating why idle-stop isn't working. I had this (non-)issue last winter, and for a while was quite worried that my battery was failing but when the weather warmed up a touch, it all started working normally again on the same journeys.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »
The only time I have had a problem with the stop start system was on a 400 mile round trip with the car unused for a couple of days half way through. It was in summer temperatures and the stop start did not work for the whole journey, noticed when I was in traffic near my destination. Disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a few minutes after my return restored normal service.

guest7247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
Thanks for all your comments I took it back to Honda garage they sorted it out, it was a computer problem.Its working sometimes now but its COLD outside so I know that it wont kick in then.

Tags: