Author Topic: Bubbles on alloy wheels  (Read 9263 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Bubbles on alloy wheels
« on: June 23, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
I have just bought a 2017 mk3 and have noticed on one of the wheels that there is bubbling, guess it is a reaction to the pad dust, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the fix. Is this covered under Honda warranty maybe? Thanks.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Bubbles on alloy wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 11:01:42 PM »
It is usually caused by corrosion when water gets under damage to the clear coating on the wheel. If it is caused by a damaged clear coat the warranty may be debatable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:04:31 PM by Skyrider »

guest7675

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
Sky the sport has black alloys coating have you found them easy to clean and robust.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Well the warranty says surface corrosion warranty for 3 years as long as the corrosion wasn’t caused by bird lime or neglect, all visible painted surfaces are covered.  Not sure if coating on the wheels is considered as a "painted surface" though.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
Sky the sport has black alloys coating have you found them easy to clean and robust.

They don't show the dirt, you have to be careful not to miss dirt on them when cleaning them, it is too soon to tell if they are robust. They are EX wheels with a complete black paint coat. I would expect them to be more robust than the EX wheels which only have a clear coat on their shiny bits.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:37:26 PM by Skyrider »

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
I have just bought a 2017 mk3 and have noticed on one of the wheels that there is bubbling, guess it is a reaction to the pad dust, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the fix. Is this covered under Honda warranty maybe? Thanks.
I have just had a chat with the local dealer and they are saying that it is not covered under warranty and probably caused by brake pad dust, going to talk to the salesman whom I purchased the car from recently to see if he is willing to do anything...not confident of a good result. 

guest7675

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
To be honest how can they say its not covered and brake dust caused it then under the consumer act its not made for purpose then otherwise everyone who has a new jazz and this happens will not be covered go to cit advice and get them to write a letter to the dealer and honda uk or auto express.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »
I have just had a chat with the local dealer and they are saying that it is not covered under warranty and probably caused by brake pad dust, going to talk to the salesman whom I purchased the car from recently to see if he is willing to do anything...not confident of a good result.
To be honest, it seems unlikely that what you’re reporting was caused solely by brake dust. The dust can be corrosive, but wheels are designed to resist that (and most do). For it to cause damage to such a young car it seems likely there was also some damage to the protective coating on the wheel that allowed the corrosive product through. Especially if the damage is limited to just one wheel. Not clear if you bought the car from new, but if you bought in 2017 then it’s likely to be at least 6 months old, and any claim against the vendor would depend on you being able to prove the fault was there when you bought it. You’re really dependent on how keen the vendor is to keep you as a customer by making a goodwill gesture. Good luck !

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
It only takes a scratch or chip by a stone to damage the wheel coating, once that happens corrosion is inevitable, and if the car has been used on salty roads in the winter it will increase the rate of the corrosion. Not what you want to hear but it is unlikely to be Honda's fault.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:12:42 PM by Skyrider »

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
just sent an email to the salesman, lets see what he says, depends whether they want your custom when it comes to changing the car next time I guess !!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
I assume the service department don't consider it a warranty claim so are not going to pay for a new wheel out of their budget. Also not setting a precedent should you return wanting more new wheels. I would expect the same response from the sales department, and they do talk to each other so the salesman will be expecting you or your email as will his manager. I wish you luck, but look at the situation in the cold light of day. If you had seen the damage before sale it was a negotiation point, but they have your money so don't expect much interest from them. I doubt if the loss of a possible future used car sale is going to bother them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:50:08 PM by Skyrider »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Honda had a bad batch of HR-V alloy wheels see https://www.hrvforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=513#p4106 so manufacturing defects are not unknown. However, it can be hard work for the first people who discover any problems to get Honda to accept that there are defects. It helps to have a supportive dealer.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest6667

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 09:29:10 PM »
My EX navi 17 plate had  two small bubbles of corrosion around the  centre cap of the left rear wheel
( diamond cut type wheels) .
Only had the car about 4 months at
That point , so reported it to our dealer.
2 days later dealer calls to say they
Would replace all four wheels.
Under warranty.
Have had no problems since.
Although I do use wheel wax and clean them regularly.
Get back to the dealer or get in touch with Honda customer  care.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
I have had wheels replaced by a warranty (Ford) but this was on a car bought new and a couple of months old. I saw both my Mk3s before they were "unwrapped" at the dealer and they both had full wheel protectors made of plastic.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
I have had a closer look and it looks like the alloy wheel is pitted in the corner of one of the spokes, there are a few places like this so perhaps its normal, the top coat has not been disturbed, the car is about 13 months old.                  so not sure !!

Tags: