Author Topic: bad exhaust  (Read 1347 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
bad exhaust
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »
Hit a bump today and the end of my exhaust fell off. Seems it was all very rusty and last owner just got it welded, the mid and end sections had to be replaced. That's the clutch and exhaust, anyone know what's likely to fail next?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: bad exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:52:21 AM »
Exhaust, like tyres and brakes is a wear item which we can all expect to have to replace. I had to replace my entire exhaust within my first year of ownership. On an old car the battery must be suspect too, so the first sign of problems, get it changed. I had to replace mine.
I also had to get my gearbox bearings replaced, but all told the car has been very reliable, and, even with the added costs, still pretty cheap to run.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »
My 81k 56 is on it's second exhaust. The whole exhaust was replaced for a cheap one. I've seen them online for £50. I didn't do it myself but the previous owner at 75k.

Otherwise my car is still all original in regards to the engine and drivetrain, including clutch AFAIK. Fortunately parts are pretty cheap and I bought mine as a Winter runabout (my other car having wide tyres and RWD and caused me a lot of stress driving last Winter). It also has more storage in the back than my larger main car .

Only think I don't like is the steering. It's horrendous, devoid of all feedback, indirect and only self centers to 45deg and has to be straightened up. I'm undecided about if it's faulty or normal. There's a lot of mixed info about the 1st gen Jazz steering. However it's livable and the car cost less than a set of Winter tyres for my main car.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
ive already replaced the battery and all the spark plugs, that leaves the gearbox.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:48 AM »
that leaves the gearbox.
What mileage has the car done? I first noticed my gearbox noisy about 93K and it was 98K before it started to worry me. It was 100K before my wife noticed it and I had it repaired at 101K, at a cost of £324. Been brilliant since.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
An OEM exhaust will generally last about 10 years, a normal quikfit one will last a month longer than the 18 month warranty. If you ever felt the weight of a Honda or Bosal exhaust compared to a quiksplit one you will see why.  With exhausts if you buy cheap you normally buy 2 or 3 times at least, it is a call depending on how long you intend to keep the car.  Short journeys are hard on exhausts as the acidic condensed water from exhaust gasses rots them from the inside, short journeys also hard on CAT, which likes ( needs ) to run hot.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
Just realised, your other car in RWD. In my experience, swapping from a RWD to a FWD car leaves you feeling the steering is sh*t. I had a RWD Carlton, and when I replaced it with a FWD Cavalier the steering felt woolly and imprecise. Moving from a RWD to a Mk 1 Jazz must be a real culture shock. A move from a BMW or such like to a Mk 1 Jazz must feel terrible in the handling stakes.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 12:17:09 PM »
it's a 2004 coming up to 112k

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »
If the gearbox has got to that mileage I wouldn't worry about it.

Tags: