Author Topic: Aircon pulley bearing renewal  (Read 1230 times)

jonespa65

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Mk2 Jazz
Aircon pulley bearing renewal
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
Can anyone advise how to dismantle the clutch to gain access to the pulley?  The centre nyloc nut on the shaft simply turns the clutch assembly, so how do you lock it up so it can be undone?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Aircon pulley bearing renewal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »
Can anyone advise how to dismantle the clutch to gain access to the pulley?  The centre nyloc nut on the shaft simply turns the clutch assembly, so how do you lock it up so it can be undone?

Just done this on a Civic.

The only thing stopping the clutch plate turning is the friction of the compressor, which is not much. I used a mole grip ( one designed to grip round things, may also be able to use plumbers pump pliers but they will not lock on and you will need to keep them squeezed )  on one of the three chrome bosses that protrude and allowed plate to turn until it locked against the socket I was using to remove nut. When you remove nut and pull plate off there are shims on the shaft, these are used to set the clutch plate gap ( this is important and if you replace entire pulley bit you may need to adjust the gap to between 0.35 and 0.6 mm on reassembly - you can get a shim kit from Cox motor parts for less than £4). You will need some decent circlip pliers to wiggle out the circlip holding the pulley - if your car has done over 50,000 or belt looking a bit the worse for wear spend £50 and get a new one from Cox motors, they are OEM and supply a helpful diagram of the way the belt needs to be installed, it is easy to get it wrong and have the water pump or similar rotating the wrong way.  If you car is mk1 you can slacked and remove belt via alternator pivot bolts, mk2 and later have spring loaded belt tensioner that you need fit a ring spanner on and heave the pressure off belt - there is info posted on forum you will need to search for or some helpful guides on YouTube.  Good luck.  Search 'aircon clutch' on clubjazz forum, I would post links but can't do links on my old kindle...

If the coil is still working on yours ( the one on the civic was not so I did not have the option) you could find the relay that energises the clutch and use a paperclip or similar to short out main contacts (the power for clutch does not come through ignition switch but straight from battery via a fuse.- the coil draws about 3 amps). This will lock the pulley to the clutch plate and help stop it turning while you undo the nut, the nut is a normal RH thread nyloc type that should not really be reused, but I squeezed it in a vice to compress the nylon and used some medium strength thread lock when I reassembled mine.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:12:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jonespa65

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Mk2 Jazz
Re: Aircon pulley bearing renewal
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
Thanks again Culzean. You helped with my earlier query re tensioner pulley, which turns out to have been ok after all.
Cheers mate

Tags: