Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79567 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Having had three false warnings since getting the car in June, when the warning came on yesterday, near the end of a journey, the car felt OK so I ignored it, and resolved to check pressures and recalibrate next morning.

Next morning went out to car to find one rear completely flat!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Lol. Mine has never gone off in the six months I've owned the vehicle. I'm beginning to think it might be faulty :)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:40:47 PM »
Lol. Mine has never gone off in the six months I've owned the vehicle. I'm beginning to think it might be faulty :)
I never had a warning in the 13 months with my orange Mk 3. I did take the precaution of remembering to set the computer to recalibrate after checking / adjusting the tyre pressures (probably only a couple of times over that period). One doesn't need to start driving immediately after setting the recalibration - the computer will remember to do so even if it has to wait a week or more. I think that some Jazz owners don't get far enough through the manual to discover the mention of recalibration - they think that checking / adjusting the pressures is enough, which it would be if there were pressure sensors on each wheel.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »

its easy enough to test if you deliberately lower pressure in one tyre - mine went off  at about 25 PSI when I had a slow puncture in a rear tyre.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
When my Jazz was 18 months old. I bought a o/e, sensor type wheel, from a slightly newer, scrapped Jazz.

Dunlop o/e tyre, fitted at local Halfords. Wheel fitted to n/s front.

After driving 1 mile, the warning flashed. Check pressures! The new tyre was 5psi underinflated.

I corrected the pressure. End of........

That is the only warning I have ever had. I know nothing about having to recalibrate the computer!

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest6316

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Mine went off in the early days when were setting off on holiday 4up plus boot full of luggage. When setting off I increased tyre pressures and gave no thought to reseting tyre deflation setting.

No better experience than by learning by mistakes.

Never had any false alarms - fingers crossed.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Interesting little snippet from latest Which? magazine. Doesn't really tell you much, apart from someone feeling sufficiently concerned about it to write to a magazine (but not go to a dealer). Wonder if the reference to " ... similar complaints online ..." refers to this forum ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
And from todays Times -
Thousands of motorists could be driving with dangerously under-inflated tyres because their car’s warning system fails to alert them to a loss of pressure, tests show.

The systems passed legally required trials in laboratories but repeatedly failed to operate on the road in results that campaigners say have strong similarities to Volkswagen’s diesel emissions tests scandal.

A VW Golf failed to detect an under-inflated tyre in 14 out of 16 real-world tests and a Fiat 500L failed all 16 tests, according to research by an independent company commissioned by the campaign group Transport & Environment (T&E). Under-inflated tyres have more contact with the road, which can result in overheating leading to premature wear, tread separation and sudden loss of pressure. It can result in blow-outs and cause fatal crashes.

All new cars since 2014 have to be fitted with tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) that pass official type approval tests. Some directly measure the pressure in each tyre but other, slightly cheaper, indirect systems are supposed to detect pressure changes by comparing the wheels’ rotational speed. The problems detected by T&E relate to indirect systems, which the group says are unsafe and can lull the driver into a false sense of security. Drivers might assume that no warning light meant that there was no problem and fail to check their tyres as a result.

T&E commissioned the Spanish company Idiada to test a rented VW Golf 7 and Fiat 500L. The TPMS warning light appeared within the legally required ten minutes under the conditions set for the official test. The system failed, however, to detect the same under-inflated tyre when the cars were driven in various ways on a test track, including at 30mph and 60mph. The cars also failed to alert the driver that the system was malfunctioning, as they are required to under EU law.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
Interesting little snippet from latest Which? magazine. Doesn't really tell you much, apart from someone feeling sufficiently concerned about it to write to a magazine (but not go to a dealer). Wonder if the reference to " ... similar complaints online ..." refers to this forum ?
I saw that and wondered whether the person had read the handbook to discover the recalibration procedure. The Which? people wouldn't know about it unless they looked through the handbook which, because it isn't available on-line, isn't easy unless one of the staff has a Mk 3 Jazz.

The underlying problem is that this system, based on changes in wheel rotation speeds, does require calibration whereas a system with pressure sensors in each wheel does not. Honda might be wise to put a stick on the door pillar next to the tyre pressure label noting the need for recalibration as explained in the handbook.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
Honda might be wise to put a sticker on the door pillar next to the tyre pressure label noting the need for recalibration as explained in the handbook.

That is a very good suggestion!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »
Honda might be wise to put a sticker on the door pillar next to the tyre pressure label noting the need for recalibration as explained in the handbook.

That is a very good suggestion!

I agree, as long as we don't end up with American style warning labels plastered all over the car. The " If you crash the car its your fault" page that has to be acknowledged at each engine start is bad enough!

14hondas

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 01:32:54 PM »
think maybe we should be aware that only some of the previous Jazz Mks had TPMS systems fitted. Like my wife's 15 reg Si. This system works by detecting an actual change in the tyre pressure and via a module attached to the valve inside the tyre trasmits a signal to the ECU.

The current car - has DWS, a Deflation Warning System that works through the VSA by detecting the differing rotation speeds when a tyre deflates and the diameter changes.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »

The current car - has DWS, a Deflation Warning System that works through the VSA by detecting the differing rotation speeds when a tyre deflates and the diameter changes.

Thus ensuring that as the vehicle grows older, tyre replacement must be in twos - for each axle - and of course using a spare wheel will automatically give lots of warnings.

Glad I have a mark 2 without TPMS-  the stories of disasters with Lexus SC and Toyota RAV4 T180 models put me off until the technology is sorted.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

Thus ensuring that as the vehicle grows older, tyre replacement must be in twos - for each axle - and of course using a spare wheel will automatically give lots of warnings.

It doesn't work like that. The calibration process re-sets the starting values for each wheel, and only changes from the initial values will trigger the alerts.

Certainly fitting the spare will trigger an alert unless you recalibrate (which takes all of 10 seconds to initiate).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
It doesn't work like that. The calibration process re-sets the starting values for each wheel, and only changes from the initial values will trigger the alerts.
Presumably it allows for a gradual change over time as the tyre wears. Although that could be problematic. Front to back wear differences might not matter but front wheels can often wear differently on each side if the driver is regularly negotiating a lot of roundabouts - eg; lives in Milton Keynes.

Tags: