Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 39863 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
Got some pics at last of LED (classiccarleds bulbs with Philips ZES chips) headlights in Jazz GE ( .PDF attached) - I did not have to alter headlight adjustment at all,  these bulbs just went straight in - be aware that there are cheaper LED bulbs around with different chips and the beam pattern can be awful (and illegal).

Bit of camera shake due to long exposure,  but it shows beam on dip and main,  when you look at pics the road is dipping away in front of car so dip beam looks a bit higher than it actually is ( I have never once been flashed), may get some better pics later but it is amazing that you don't see another car for ages but as soon as you stop to take a photo they magically appear from nowhere.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:20:55 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
Hi culzean

Looks lovely

Please could I ask if your link to bulbs are the precise bulb I would need for a 2013 jazz si

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Hi culzean

Looks lovely

Please could I ask if your link to bulbs are the precise bulb I would need for a 2013 jazz si

Many thanks

John

Yes you need the H4 type at £70 a pair

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=25760255303

I don't work for this company and have no connection ( I live in Shropshire, they are in Bristol),  but after first trying a single H4 bulb in my motorbike (to check beam pattern and quality), I then got a set of H4 bulbs for my wifes 2012 Si  and 2 off H1 (main) and 2 off H7 (dipped) bulbs for my Civic and having experienced their great customer service,  quick delivery and the solid quality of the product ( and believe me you can pay a lot more than £70 for bulbs with the ZES chips) I thought some other Jazz drivers would be interested in upgrading their lights (which I found to be a bit lacking, even with a good xenon filament bulb).  As you can see the LED throws a lot of light on both the nearside and offside verges,  the light quality, spread and beam cut-off all better than filament - they also perform well in the wet (where the old xenon bulb light used to disappear).

Just be aware that these bulbs will not melt the ice off your headlights in winter because they don't produce very much heat at the front end (just a lot of white light LOL),  the heat comes out the back of the bulb via the black finned heatsink,  which I have found runs at about 60 deg C (just a bit uncomfortable to touch).

Just make sure the rotation position of the bulb body to location pegs is in position 8 (as per  instructions with bulb as the position for RHD) - mine were delivered like this but I just checked and tightened the allen locking screw (a pair of allen keys are supplied - one for rotation lock and one for heatsink).

The only extra thing I did was pop to Maplin and get a syringe of non-setting thermal grease / paste to smear on the heat-sink threads and as well as aiding heat transfer I am confident it will stop any corrosion between bulb thread and heat-sink thread.  You only need a very small amount but if it gets on your fingers it goes a long, long way and quite difficult to remove - after the first encounter I used thin vinyl gloves for the rest - I did also put a bit of silicone grease on the threads of the 4 pin screw plug as well,  as I found that these can quite difficult to unscrew later ( after initial trial of bulb I unscrewed heat-sink to put original Honda rubber sealing collar back on light bulbs)  - especially if they have heat-sink grease on the thread LOL (the 4 pin connector has to be fed through centre of heatsink and it is a neat fit,  so impossible not to get paste on it),  but because the female threaded collar is flexible you can kind of 'push' them off the thread with your thumbnail without damaging them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:41:54 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Hi culzean

Many thanks and just ordered them

I am not sure how they fit into headlight (i.e. do you fit everything inside so the rubber covers it)

Also, which is better for the heatsink position - small like original bulb or as the picture shows at end of bulb

Sorry if I am not explaining very well

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Hi culzean

Many thanks and just ordered them

I am not sure how they fit into headlight (i.e. do you fit everything inside so the rubber covers it)

Also, which is better for the heatsink position - small like original bulb or as the picture shows at end of bulb

Sorry if I am not explaining very well

Many thanks

John

The plug in 'ballast' module (actually a constant current driver as LEDs work on current not voltage) fits outside the headlamp housing (they supply a pack of nylon cable ties in the box to attach it to something close by - will try to post some pictures of installation) - what you do is unscrew heat-sink (make sure the little allen grub screw is slackened off first though,  I found out the hard way it wasn't when I first tried to unscrew heat-sink   :-[  ).   You need to unscrew heatsink completely and remove to locate the bulb in the holder ( the widest 'key' on the location array faces vertically upwards, same as original bulb did) and get the original spring clip over and into position) - now refit the rubber sealing grommet and screw the heat-sink back on with the largest finned diameter furthest from bulb (to clear rubber seal) if you want to use locking allen grub screw it helps to put a bit of white paint  / or scratch black coating off on heat-sink fin that lines up with allen screw,  then you can find it easier when heat-sink / bulb in position - (but don't worry I just screwed heatsink back on hand tight and didn't tighten the screw on mine and it wont come unscrewed).

There is an actual mile of room around and behind the back of headlamp on the GE and I found it a doddle to fit the bulbs.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »
Hi culzean

Many thanks, much appreciated

If I have time when I fit mine, I'll take some photos but your description really helps

Once again, many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Hi culzean

The lights arrived this morning and thanks to you, were easy to fit (I think as long as long as I have fit them correctly)

I did not think there were much room behind the headlights, as trying to get the spring clip back on was hard, and the very little locking nut on the black heat sink, I could not see, so did as you have, hand tighten them

I hope others find this useful and just waiting for darkness to arrive, to see how they look

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
Looks good,  I don't think you will be disappointed  :D

I drive around with mine on in the daytime,  If there is going to be a problem I want it to show up in daytime,  and unlike filament bulbs LED don't wear out (they may well outlive me  ::) )

Hi culzean
I did not think there were much room behind the headlights, as trying to get the spring clip back on was hard,

Trust me. if you had ever owned a GD Jazz you would think there was a football field of room behind the headlight on the GE,  and relieved you didn't have to take half the car apart just to get to rear of the bulb.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:44:27 PM by culzean »

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
I think we could do with a "Like" button on here.
Culzean's comment is spot on.
Thankfully I and two son's now only have GE's!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
I think we could do with a "Like" button on here.

You can use the Thanks option above each post in most forums.

The new version of the forum software we use has a like button.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »
Hi

I hope you don't mind, as I was pleased with the headlights, I bought the sidelights and fog lights LEDs

I spoke with Duncan and he was very helpful, so was easy to buy and fit

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
Wow,  glad you are happy with the products - I have bought some real dodgy LED bulbs in the past that have not been very bright and did not last long  !!

I thought about LED foglight H11 bulbs, but as they never get used would have been a waste.

Have used the H4 LED headlights quite a few times now in all weathers,  and am very glad I decided to fit them as they are a big improvement on filament bulbs, even when the expensive xenon high output Philips and Osram etc were fitted.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 01:33:05 AM »
Been using Philips Crystal Vision for two years and seems ok. Shame the two small parking light bulb is not that white as they claim to be.

I use Philips Racing Vision 150% on my other car, Seat Ibiza which are bright.

Eurocarparts do offers often. I found it easy to put them on the 2009 Jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
Update on LED headlight bulbs,  on holiday in Cornwall ( Lizard ) for a couple of weeks (just starting second week) and driving round narrow Cornish roads in the dark, so glad I fitted the LED headlight bulbs, take the stress out of night driving, no one has flashed me yet either.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »
Update on LED headlight bulbs,  on holiday in Cornwall ( Lizard ) for a couple of weeks (just starting second week) and driving round narrow Cornish roads in the dark, so glad I fitted the LED headlight bulbs, take the stress out of night driving, no one has flashed me yet either.
After following the discussion here I put the same H4 LED bulbs in my HR-V. They are a very big improvement compared to Osram Night Breaker bulbs I had put into replace the standard candles. While my eyes are still troubled by the glare from oncoming lights I can now see my side of the road. And the main beam is like turning on floodlights.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything