Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 39876 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
After following the discussion here I put the same H4 LED bulbs in my HR-V. They are a very big improvement compared to Osram Night Breaker bulbs I had put into replace the standard candles. While my eyes are still troubled by the glare from oncoming lights I can now see my side of the road. And the main beam is like turning on floodlights.

Glad to hear you are happy with the LED bulbs, did you have to adjust headlight alignment ? I found the beam was great without touching anything.  The main thing I found was that I have much more light on the nearside verge, which makes night driving much easier. Main beam is pretty good, the whiter light seems to pick out things better.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:15:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »
Hi culzean

Plus 1 for me. I definitely would not be going back to old bulbs.

One thing I have noticed, other car drivers now seem to see my car better then before, in terms of not pulling out on me or they move over more when approaching if you see what I mean. Previously, it was as though they never saw me or they didn't care I was there

Once again, many thanks for starting this thread. Best money I ever spent I think

Many thanks

John

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
Glad to hear you are happy with the LED bulbs, did you have to adjust headlight alignment ? I found the beam was great without touching anything.  The main thing I found was that I have much more light on the nearside verge, which makes night driving much easier. Main beam is pretty good, the whiter light seems to pick out things better.
I've so far found no need for any adjustment.  They are well worth the money for anyone who finds night driving hard on the eyes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
One nice side effect of LED headlight bulbs is my headlight covers stay a lot cleaner, may be partly due to my regular waxing of headlight plastic, but I have done that for many years, the improvement I have seen lately seems mainly to be that  the General road  grunge, splattered insects  and mud does not get dried and baked on because there is hardly any heat from the LED bulb 'front end' the heat comes out of rear of bulb via the heatsink.

Unfortunately I also expect, come winter that any frost and ice may not get melted off the headlight cover, don't know how much of a problem it may be, but will soon find out.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
I am at the moment awaiting a decision about PPI.  If I am successful I might be able to ague the cost of the LED bulbs. Unfortunately, I have only recently renewed the headlamp bulbs and  although I am NOT subject to petticote government, my Wife quite  rightly, given that money is not that freely available might feel the £70 is not justifiable.
We shall see!!!!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Hi culzean

Plus 1 for me. I definitely would not be going back to old bulbs.

One thing I have noticed, other car drivers now seem to see my car better then before, in terms of not pulling out on me or they move over more when approaching if you see what I mean. Previously, it was as though they never saw me or they didn't care I was

That is the reason I fitted the LED bulb to my motorbike before I bought ones for our cars, to try one out and because the whiter light is more visible in daylight ( the headlight on bike is on all the time ignition comes on ), you become very aware of  value of your lights when you ride a motorbike, they can literally save your life with extra visibility to other road users.

I am far more likely to drive car with dipped beams on during the day now that I know there is no 'wearing out' of filament involved, and also the current drawn by headlights is now a couple of amps instead of 10, so easier on electrical system.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:53:01 AM by culzean »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Last week one of our Jazz's headlight bulb died, almost 2 years after i replaced the standard bulbs with the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. I talked with a friend about the LEDs in this topic and he said they are not road legal. I didn't give up so fast and did a search on the internet..., but he was right. :( Exterior aftermarket LED bulbs are for off road use only!

Because i don't want to risk a €150 traffic ticket i bought legal halogen bulbs again: Osram Night Breaker Laser, 2x H4 for €21.95. Today i replaced both bulbs and although i liked the former night breakers very much, these are even better!

Am i too good to follow this law... maybe. ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »
Found this info from GEM, dated this year (a lot of info is a couple of years old).
https://www.motoringassist.com/motoring-advice/news/fit-led-lighting-car-legally/

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »
I also found the article above.

First i found some Dutch recent articles and also some NL webshop even write "for off road use only" when you look at a LED bulb description.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pages/terms-and-conditions
Also these Leds: read 2.6.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
I also found the article above.

First i found some Dutch recent articles and also some NL webshop even write "for off road use only" when you look at a LED bulb description.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pages/terms-and-conditions
Also these Leds: read 2.6.

That is just an ars£ covering phrase inserted by lawyers - I had looked at loads of HID (definitely illegal and very dazzling in a reflector designed for filament bulbs) and early LED bulbs which used round, square in fact any shape of chip which did not give a legal beam pattern,   but then Phillips got in on the act and developed their luxeon ZE-S chips, which are same size and shape as  filament and in exactly same position.  I have not once been flashed and have encountered many police vehicles. I tested the beam pattern against original filament bulb on my motorbike before buying for cars, and cut off and control of stray light is better with the LED than filament.   Problem is with hid conversion and early generation LED they were just too bright and beam pattern was just totally illegal as they sprayed light in all directions.  I will gladly risk a fine for the better light of the LED as it actually puts more light on near side verge and sharper beam,  I will not be taking them out for MOT either.

IMHO most of the headlights on your typical German staff car are so dazzling as to be illegal, but that is just my experience of many miles driving on average UK  'B' roads with them both behind and approaching from the front.

I still see more than a few vehicles driving around with obviously illegal HID and maybe older cheapo LED headlight conversions,  If they don't get pulled over I am 100% happy that I don't need to worry.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:45:21 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
But what the regulations actually states is that the light unit must be certified for the use of LEDs to be legal, not just the LED bulb in it! What that means is, every vehicle you see on the road, where the owner has fitted LED number plate lights or sidelights, technically fail Whole Vehicle Type Approval and as such are no longer covered by insurance! That is something that would take a team of lawyers forever to sort out.

guest1372

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »
I think this only becomes an issue if you make an issue of yourself, by driving like an idiot or hanging out in car parks on a Saturday night or otherwise drawing attention to yourself.  But the dazzling car behind me this week (over bright lights with a sharp cut off that made it look a full beam flash over every bump plus DRL's still on at 11pm) was asking to be pulled over.  After encouraging it to overtake me I could not even read the number plate as it's LEDs were too bright so it was just washed out in two pools of light.  Was a 10+ year old Vectra so definitely not type approved for LEDs.

There is something to be said for improving a Mk1/GD headlight, but I'm not certain that LEDS are it; they have their place, like my trailer where vibration destroys filaments and Jazz rear lamp wiring is minimum size and not designed for double the expected load.

I have only changed one bulb in 15 years - the rear cabin light when the end fell off.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
I find my GD headlights excellent. They are actually better than the four light system on my S20.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Headlights
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
You are completely right, Culzean, those LEDs you have bought are good, i don't doubt on that! But it is like i wrote in post #52, aftermarket. The law says using LEDs external in a light unit for halogen is not road legal. Is that a stupid law? Maybe.

And although i am not drawing attention to myself in driving or hanging out on car parkings, i don't take the risk. Police here in the south of the Netherlands has regularly other priorities than catching real criminals or idiots on the road.

Maybe with the GD Jazz, which is what i have heard a PIA to change a bulb, i would consider to take the risk with LEDs because they live much longer. However with the GG model we have it is as much as 5 minutes work.

The Osram Night Breakers (Unlimited and Laser) halogen bulbs are giving excellent white light, with the Lasers even brighter, whiter and a longer beam. And if that means that with our kilometrage the bulbs lifespan is about 2 years and that costs me €22 (£20), so be it.

Le_Brun

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz/Fit 2009
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Need replacement headlights for my GE8, where is the best place to buy?

Tags: