Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 39880 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »
Just an update on my LED H4 headlight bulbs.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=25760255303

I have had a couple of occasion to drive my wifes Jazz GE at night with these new LED bulbs and I must say they make driving in the dark a lot more pleasant,  and I had already fitted Phillips X-Treme brite Xenon filament bulbs to her car soon after she got it to upgrade the lights,  but the LED's are way brighter and they seem to put a better spread of light on the road, plenty of light along nearside verge for traffic signs etc.  and a sharp vertical cut-off and lower level light across to offside verge.   Looking at amount of light on the road I thought I may be dazzling oncoming drivers,  but I parked the car on a quiet road with dipped beam on and walked down the road a bit and no dazzle,  also no-one has flashed me so far, so that says something.   Will try to take my camera next time I go out in dark and get some shots of the actual light on the road to post here,  but may be a day or two.

You can get other bulbs cheaper (and more expensive by the way check this site http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/5th-gen-4000-lumens/h4-5th-gen-4000-lumens  ) but the vast majority of them have illegal beam pattern.  The bulbs I got have the Phillips Luxeon chip pack designed to exactly mimic the position, length and width of the filaments in a standard bulb, and having looked at Phillips bulbs they look identical in every detail, even down to shape of heatsink, but cheaper.

The only thing I had to check on the bulbs when i got them is if the body of bulb was rotated to position 8 on the dial (starting position for RHD vehicle) and locked down (allen keys supplied with bulbs) and they already were as delivered,  I changed nothing else on vehicle headlight alignment.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:10:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
I was really pleased with my headlamps. Found them even better than the Volvo's four lamp system. Garage adjusted them when it was in for its MOT and I have not been out in the dark since, so God only knows what they will be like now. (Other deities are available.)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »
I was really pleased with my headlamps. Found them even better than the Volvo's four lamp system. Garage adjusted them when it was in for its MOT and I have not been out in the dark since, so God only knows what they will be like now. (Other deities are available.)

What sort of bulbs have you got ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
No idea. I'd have to dismantle half the front end to get at them! You don't change bulbs on a GD unless you absolutely must!!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:50 AM »
Those LEDs are very interesting and promising, culzean! Whenever our Osram Night Breakers quit shining i replace them by those LEDs. I only hope they are in a Dutch webshop by that time, now i can't find them. Philips = Dutch: how is that possible? ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
Those LEDs are very interesting and promising, culzean! Whenever our Osram Night Breakers quit shining i replace them by those LEDs. I only hope they are in a Dutch webshop by that time, now i can't find them. Philips = Dutch: how is that possible? ;)

Even in Holland you can order them from classiccarleds  - they are definitely the cheapest ones with the Phillips Luxeon chips I have found.  And I can vouch for the legal  beam pattern and brightness and they will definitely fit GE Jazz and still get the rubber bulb seal back on ( and from what I remember of the Jazz GD's we used to have they will easily fit that as well) and are adjustable for LHD and RHD vehicles  -  I would get them in plenty of time because by the time your filament lamp blows you will be driving around in the dark for a couple of days up to maybe a week while they get delivered to Holland (they are next day delivery in UK).  And some people will say the driver interferes with the radio, be assured it doesn't do it on my Civic or my wifes GE with FM radios  (it may interfere with a DAB radio but then a mouse sneezing a mile away will probably interfere with DAB).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:46:14 AM by culzean »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Headlights
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
... I would get them in plenty of time because by the time your filament lamp blows you will be driving around in the dark for a couple of days up to maybe a week while they get delivered to Holland (they are next day delivery in UK).  And some people will say the driver interferes with the radio, be assured it doesn't do it on my Civic or my wifes GE with FM radios  (it may interfere with a DAB radio but then a mouse sneezing a mile away will probably interfere with DAB).
I always have a spare set bulbs in the car, so i won't drive in the dark. ;) Hopefully they sell them in NL by the time the Osrams blow, otherwise i will order them in the UK.

We have FM radio and 64gb iPod connected on the usb, that's music enough, so we don't need DAB.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
just a quick question in case I have the wrong end of the stick. Are these legal as a retrofit as I understood cars are given "Type Approval" with compulsory equipment like lights, brakes, emissions etc as per their specification as they appear on the dealers forecourts etc brand new. Changing the headlight bulbs to that not specified possibly changes the certification for the vehicle. I used to fit LED sidelight bulbs but back to the original 501's for MOT and then change back again. Whilst I like the idea of LED headlights as a retrofit would I again be changing them at MOT time and back again once passed? Am I likely to be stopped by an over zealous member of the constabulary and liable for prosecution / fixed penalty etc? Just a general question as I like to keep my car legal so the powers that be have no reason to take an interest in me. Can't have them finding the bodies in the boot!  8)  (Joke)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
Some LED aftermarket bulbs are as bad as HID and not legal for road use because the light source is not in the correct place in the reflector and they cause glare to other road users,  however the phillips luxeon chips are designed to exactly mimic the size and position of a filament bulb,  and take it from me I just fitted the LED bulbs from classiccarleds and the beam pattern is perfect,  with a sharp cut off.   I am leaving mine in for MOT and have absolutely no doubt they will be fine.  Having suffered a lot from dazzling illegal headlights during my long A and B road commute (before I retired LOL) I am painfully aware that I don't want to do the same to other drivers.  They are a useful upgrade to Jazz headlights and it is still possible to fit the rubber seal when they are installed,  I would not go back to filament bulbs,  even though I always used to fit best available ones.

have a look at the PDF photos of beam pattern I posted earlier in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:04:46 PM by culzean »

guest5079

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
I am surprised JohnAlways changed his LED sidelight bulbs back to 'normal' for his MOT. Our Jazz has been through 3 MOT's since I installed  led bulbs in the sidelights. Twice was through a Honda main dealer and the last through my local garage who tends to be a bit fierce with his MOT's. I did a quick look at prices when Culzean first posted about LED headlight bulbs but the price I am afraid will have to come down a bit first. Some were advertised at £130. I have the upgraded bulbs, I think they are Osram?????? Night something at the moment.
Good post by Culzean and very useful.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
I am surprised JohnAlways changed his LED sidelight bulbs back to 'normal' for his MOT. Our Jazz has been through 3 MOT's since I installed  led bulbs in the sidelights. Twice was through a Honda main dealer and the last through my local garage who tends to be a bit fierce with his MOT's. I did a quick look at prices when Culzean first posted about LED headlight bulbs but the price I am afraid will have to come down a bit first. Some were advertised at £130. I have the upgraded bulbs, I think they are Osram?????? Night something at the moment.
Good post by Culzean and very useful.

The bulbs on classiccarleds were the cheapest legal beam pattern (Phillips chips,  I checked LED chips with a magnifying glass and the fake ones have certain differences) ones I could find,  there are cheaper ones with single COB LED, SMD LED and other arrangements of LED etc but beam pattern on those is awful,  and although they boast fantastically high lumens if the light source is not in the correct place in the reflector the light is wasted or just annoys other road users - I have not been flashed yet (which is normally a good sign),  and as you say the genuine phillips are around £130 mark,  whereas mine cost £70 a pair free delivery.   I can vouch for light output and beam pattern and I certainly would not feel the need to remove them for MOT.    I was paying about £28 a pair for high output Phillips xenon filament bulbs anyway,  so £70 a pair did not seem excessive for a higher out put 'lifetime' bulb.

The links to LED bulb test videos I posted earlier in thread are about 30 minutes each,  but well worth a look.

guest5079

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Thank you Culzean for the information. Certainly I will keep your info to hand but unfortunately as I do not do much night driving my Osrams will hopefully last a while.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
Thank you Culzean for the information. Certainly I will keep your info to hand but unfortunately as I do not do much night driving my Osrams will hopefully last a while.

All I can say is that I was loathe to drive my wifes Jazz around busy country roads after dark,  especially in rain - and some county councils don't bother with the white line along nearside verge (which is very useful when traffic coming the other way with headlights on) - Never minded in the Civic as headlights are better and on main beam both dip and main beams are lit up.  I don't mind driving her indoors Jazz after dark now after fitting the LED's - so if you think you lights are 'not quite good enough' and you avoid driving after dark (especially when traffic coming towards you can dazzle, especially as you get older) I would recommend the LED's.  The high output Phillips bulbs in the Jazz were not very old,  but they are now in the box that the LED's came in (up in the loft).

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Hi all. I decided to change back to standard filament 501 sidelight bulbs for MOT after I took the car in to Honda for service and the dealer mentioned it. Bulbs I think are like wiper blades, easy to check and replace as necessary and why risk an MOT failure. I do like the sound of the LED lights though and being easy to change! :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
Hi all. I decided to change back to standard filament 501 sidelight bulbs for MOT after I took the car in to Honda for service and the dealer mentioned it. Bulbs I think are like wiper blades, easy to check and replace as necessary and why risk an MOT failure. I do like the sound of the LED lights though and being easy to change! :)

My wifes GE just sailed through its (dealer) MOT with the 'extra bright' LED sidelight bulbs in - they are so bright she uses them as DRL.   I think you may get knocked back if you had blue LED sidelights like some educationally  challenged individuals.

Tags:

anything