Author Topic: Lower back pain.  (Read 4534 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Lower back pain.
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
I suffer, to a greater of lesser degree, to lower back pain. Yesterday, by necessity, I had a trip to the south of Edinburgh, then into the city centre (Parking on street cost £15 !). It was then a case of driving back out to Danderhall before returning the 40 miles home in the worst of the evening rush hour traffic. I was sore when I got out of the car, but today I am in absolute agony. Had to take a couple of Tramadol (which I try to avoid). I feel the seating in the Mk 1 Jazz is comfortable enough, but obviously it doesn't give me the support I need. I commented to my wife that if I had to drive in Edinburgh every day, I'd just give up driving.
According to my ScanGauge E, I still managed 53.8 mpg, despite the traffic.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Lower back pain.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
My wife also has lower back pain, a lot of it due to siatica.
However, for the last few weeks she has been seeing a chiropractor and the difference she has made is rather amazing.
Of course the siatica problem is still there, that will only be relieved by surgery but the magic of the chiropractors hands is not to be sniffed at.
Give one a try. After all what have you got to loose but a consultation fee.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
My wife also has lower back pain, a lot of it due to siatica.
However, for the last few weeks she has been seeing a chiropractor and the difference she has made is rather amazing.
Of course the siatica problem is still there, that will only be relieved by surgery but the magic of the chiropractors hands is not to be sniffed at.
Give one a try. After all what have you got to loose but a consultation fee.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

+1 for chiropractor

The snobby British medical profession will never refer or hardly talk about those upstart American chiropractors but they have worked proper magic on me in the past, they treat the cause of the problem and not just the symptoms. Your own GP  ( who may be on commission from your friendly multinational drug company) would rather give you strong painkillers for life and destroy your kidneys than mention the 'C' word.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:52:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
I suffer from lower back pain on and off, and I too find the seats in our Jazz absolutely terrible on longer journeys. The seats themselves are nice and firm, supportive sideways, and feel generally comfortable, but there seems to be no support whatsoever in the lumbar area.

I have found that one of those springy net covered back supports works for me, but the shape of the Jazz seats makes the support tend to slide downwards, so I find  myself having to readjust it a bit every time I stop. Still, it's better than ending up in agony.

As for chiropractors, I have never used one myself, but feedback I have heard from other people who have used them over many years has been almost universally positive.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »
+ another one for the chiropractor.

I can't comment on Mk1 seats, but I find Mk2 & Mk3 seats fine.
I have modified my current Mk3 seat by fitting 1" spacers and longer bolts, under the front of the seat runners and 1/2" under the rear. This, together with a rather upright seat back gives me the position I need for optimum comfort and at 5ft 10" I still have a good 1" space above my head.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
I have used an osteopath for many years for lower back problems and have been given a regime of exercises that I do for 20 minutes every morning plus a four monthly inspection and workout.
When I first experienced back problems i found that GP's were useless prescribing only rest and painkillers. They flatly refused to refer you to a chiropractor or osteopath as they considered them to be quacks.
This is possibly related to the old country 'bonesetters' who were the fore runners of osteopathy.
Chiropractors concentrate on back problems, osteopaths are whole body.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
My problem is due to muscles, torn in an accident many years ago. Muscle relaxants help, but when it gets really bad strong painkillers are the only thing to take the edge off it.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »

I can't comment on Mk1 seats, but I find Mk2 & Mk3 seats fine.

We had a mk1 then a mk2 and the mk2 seats are altogether better - more suposrtive and better shaped.

It's a personal thing - other people may feel they're no better.  I struggle with lower back pain in my (now old) Merc C Class.  I drive with a small towel folded into a pad at the base of my back.  It's fine then.  It happened when I tried the same model out for a couple of days when it was released back in late 2004 but I dismissed it as a random thing as I'd never suffered before.

valleyjazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
Maybe want to concider heated seats, have them on our Mokka, have to say they are one of the most comfy seats I have had, even more so than  740/960 volvos.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »
My Volvo S40 (car I had before the Jazz) had heated seats. They were great when my back was giving me gyp, until my bum got too hot!

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
I had my last Jazz, modded for heated seats. Good value, at £270.

I intend having this one modded, before winter.....  ;)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:11:06 PM »
Mine's due to a previous muscle tear too Jocko. I think the mark one seats round your spine, and that's the problem for me. The lower back support straightens the bottom of my spine, and the difference is like night and day.

I don't have a problem with our other car, but that has a multitude of seat adjustments, including a good adjustable lumbar support.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
I started suffering from sciatica 4 years ago.Agony to get out of bed.

Started daily yoga exercises for back and pelvis two year ago. Now zero pain for 12 months

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
I had my last Jazz, modded for heated seats. Good value, at £270.

I intend having this one modded, before winter.....  ;)

Would you mind letting us know who did this and how effective it was? Thanks.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »
Would you mind letting us know who did this and how effective it was? Thanks.
The trouble with the Mk 1 Jazz was heated seats were not even an option, so retrofitting them would be a huge task. There is no circuitry, fuses switching, or anything else. Everything would have to be put in from scratch. I don't even know if it is feasible to fit seats from a Mk 2 to a Mk 1 so getting seats with heating elements in them may be fraught as well.

Tags:

anything