Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35422 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
Latest Jazz does not have a CVT or a DSG or any sort of gearbox at all. It has an electric drive motor intelligently wired to a generator alongside. For marketing reasons Honda call this eCVT. The engine connects to the driveshafts at higher speeds but the ratio is fixed, again no gearbox.
A fact well known here but not by motoring journalists. Welcome to the forum—plenty knowledgeable Jazz owners here with years of Jazz experience, many owners of the Mk 4.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
I think the drive is fantastic, and good flat handling and roadholding. My previous drive was an Audi S3, resulting in a dislocated liver on any road hump.

I like mine 99% so far.
I'm just bothered a tad by the dampening on bumpy streets at low speed, which is not as smooth as my previous ride. Kinda like the whole front axle is wobbling on first impact. Disturbing.
Maybe that's because of the EX 16" inches rims.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:47:46 PM by Foksadure »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
Interesting, so the old quirk of CVT over rev doesn't happen.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
16-inch rims always make for a rougher ride, on some cars worse than others.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »
Interesting, so the old quirk of CVT over rev doesn't happen.
The engine will rev if you want a sustained supply of power for acceleration or hill climbing and once it's over around 3000 rpm then the engine becomes audible. However, I think a difference from the CVT behaviour is that the engine revs on the eCVT are more constant rather than varying as some  excess / shortfall of power can be accommodated by the battery. A constant engine noise is less obtrusive than one which keeps varying. However, engine noise is an infrequent feature on my journeys - most trips are completed without obvious engine noise although I can now detect the sound difference between car running only on battery and using the engine.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 03:25:51 PM »
16-inch rims always make for a rougher ride, on some cars worse than others.

Yup, the low profile tyres on the regular Jazz sure do not help. The Crosstar may be be more tolerant about this.

I can now detect the sound difference between car running only on battery and using the engine.

Except for the EV disappearing from the dashboard indicator, you can tell the engine is on by the little vibrations reaching the wheel. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:27:41 PM by Foksadure »

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »
I'm just bothered a tad by the dampening on bumpy streets at low speed, which is not as smooth as my previous ride. Kinda like the whole front axle is wobbling on first impact. Disturbing.
We bought the Exec for its luxury features but stepped down on the summer allows to 15'' and Michelins. Now with 16'' with winter tyres the bumps are more noticable and I wish I've gone with 15'' in winter too. With 15'' the ride is quite comfortable.

hotweiss

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
I think the drive is fantastic, and good flat handling and roadholding. My previous drive was an Audi S3, resulting in a dislocated liver on any road hump.

I like mine 99% so far.

That is why I went with the Crosstar. 3 cm of extra dampening. The regular Jazz is made for perfect Japanese roads.

Austriaman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
Yes definitely would, echo other comments about comfort, power, seamless driving experience. Mine's a Crosstar, a slightly softer ride I believe. Slight disappointing is lack of traffic data on the satnav, and the need to activate brake auto hold each you drive. But it's a great all-rounder, and if it holds its value as previous models, then that will help offset the high initial price.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
Traffic data will be TMC RDS which is pants when compared to Garmin digital traffic. That's why I run a standalone Garmin DS61 for the traffic.

Shame that Garmin Inrix digital traffic ends June 2021 and Garmin viaMichelin is the only option from then on via a smartphone link.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »
Only had a Crosstar for a month or so now but I chose it for a variety of reasons. Compared to previous Mk2 and Mk3 16 inch low profile tyres, the slightly higher profile 16 inch tyres and apparent longer spring travel do seem to give it a more comfortable ride which I also assumed would be the case with the Mk 4 standard 16 inch tyres and springs.
I also much preferred the body styling, wheel design and option of surf blue compared to the standard Jazz. The sound system is also certainly much better than in the standard Jazz.

There are some disadvantages - obviously higher price, but I was disappointed that it does not include Blind Spot and Cross Traffic monitoring which surely would not have cost much more to include as in the standard Ex. I'm not so worried about not having the heated steering wheel. I also wonder if the textile seat bolster will wear as well as a leather one.

Also of major significance is the fact that driving the new Jazz is a league apart from the Mk3 auto as far as visibility, smoothness, noise, power and economy is concerned.

So overall I have been very pleased with this purchase.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »
I also wonder if the textile seat bolster will wear as well as a leather one.
If its anything like the textile seats in my 14-year-old, 131,000 miles Mk 1 then you have no worries. My driving seat is a bit grubby, but a professional clean and it would be like new.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
Reading these reports make me more convinced a CrossStar is for me next year. Test drive mid Feb during my Civic annual service.

The only thing I'd like to see is what any owners are doing re a spacesaver as I'd feel vulnerable without one.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »
Well Jocko my MK2 and Mk3 textile seats did not really wear at all like yours , but unfortunately my present Crosstar which was a demonstrator with just under 500 miles on it had got fluffing up appearing on the drivers outer bolster. Perhaps as a demonstrator many people had got in and out but surely not as many times as you would over say 50,000 miles. Because of this I had actually asked on this forum a few days ago if anyone else had noticed this problem but at the moment no one has replied. Anyway the good news is that my dealer and Honda have actually agreed that the seat cover should be changed under warranty. Well done Honda.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 09:33:24 PM »
Kremmen, there is not an easy way to carry a space saver on this model unless you carry it loose in the boot or tucked behind a rear seat. or even perhaps on a roof rack on the Crosstar.  Feeling a bit like you at the time, I did buy a space saver kit for my Mk3 but luckily did not use it in nearly five years. Also never needed one in the previous Jazz. I did carry a space saver around France behind a front seat once in a Prius. Its true that puncture sealant kits do not always work ( happened once to me with a courtesy car) but I do not think you need to feel vulnerable because of no spare. You might be more vulnerable trying to change a wheel on a busy road or certainly on a so called "Smart "motorway
It is usually safer to use a breakdown service where they will either have a universal space saver or take the car on a trailer. However, if you are worried about needing to repair a tyre yourself you can get a DIY temporary rubber plug tyre repair kit for around £10 ( eg Euro car parts ) which may or may not work better than the sealant.  Alternatively, carry the spare wheel or full wheel as suggested or look for a set of run flat tyres which might be expensive, if available, and probably would effect the ride of the car. I don't think you should let the fact that a car does not have a spare stop you buying a particular car, although I can see it might be more of a problem if you were driving in very remote areas. Perhaps it is just on that sort of occasion when you could carry a spare in one of the places I've suggested.

Tags: