Author Topic: 5yr Service - Inspect valve clearances  (Read 1471 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
5yr Service - Inspect valve clearances
« on: May 02, 2023, 07:10:49 PM »
I had my 18' Jazz serviced by Honda garage. It's 5th service. The car has done 15k miles.

It says AB9 service. On the paperwork A & B items have been ticked but not 9, which is the valve clearance -on 2 bits of paperwork.

A quick YouTube search indicates this is a biggish job.

It could be they forgot to mark the paperwork or they just didn't do it...

Any advice on this matter?

I'll email them the docs and ask, or pop in again and ask them in person.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:34:10 PM by JazzyJJ »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: 5yr Service - Inspect valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:22:09 PM »
Probably didn’t do it as it would be a mileage thing rather than a year thing, hopefully they didn’t charge for it.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 07:27:11 PM »
they only listen to the engine anyway and only do something if they hear anything wrong and they chage £139 for the job but i dont know if they replace the rocker gasket or plug seals but i doubt they do
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:45:06 PM by monkeydave »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 07:30:31 PM »
Time does not affect the valve clearance such as oil, rubbers and liquids, so this check and regulation must be done after 75000miles.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
Probably didn’t do it as it would be a mileage thing rather than a year thing, hopefully they didn’t charge for it.

It was the 5th service of a 5 service plan so it was paid for 5 years ago when I brought the car. Worked out at £120 per service. fyi, he said the next service would be £285 (if I did it with them) and thats excluding cvt oil change which is another £160  :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:59:37 PM by JazzyJJ »

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 05:39:21 PM »

[/quote]

It was the 5th service of a 5 service plan so it was paid for 5 years ago when I brought the car. Worked out at £120 per service. fyi, he said the next service would be £285 (if I did it with them) and thats excluding cvt oil change which is another £160  :o
[/quote]

£285 for the 6th service roughly equates to my £670 for the 6th and 7th quoted by local Honda dealer. This includes both MOTs , roadside assistance and 1 brake fluid change. No air or pollen filters or gear oil change tho.
They also offered another 1 year warranty for £380.
Haven't decided yet  ::)

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 03:55:41 PM »
I went to see them and they told me the valve inspection has been moved from the 5th to 6th service  >:(

He said he called Honda about it because he was booking the cost back from Honda as its part of the service plan. "Honda Care" said it no longer needed doing on the 5th.

... but 1 year later it does? I smell a dodge of responsibility. It costs £139 as a separate item.

They likely removed it because the cost of doing it became uneconomical with inflation?

Well it was on my service plan when I brought it so they should honour it - "breach of contract"  ;)

Ill call them and see what they say.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 04:02:04 PM by JazzyJJ »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 04:08:43 PM »
They also offered another 1 year warranty for £380.
Haven't decided yet  ::)

I wouldn't do the warranty. I'd save the £380 for your next service. You'd be unlucky if any repairs cost more than £380.

In the 5 years I've owned the car I haven't spent anything except for pollen filters which I change every year and probably 1 or 3 of the wipers blades. And under warranty they changed a wheel bearing - I was hearing something and they also "heard it" but maybe they wanted to claim the cost against the warranty (?).

Hope I'm not jinxing myself  :-X
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 04:19:02 PM by JazzyJJ »

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 08:26:36 PM »
My car is a 68 plate. 47,000 service only costs. Well apart from 3 door locks at £1109 all in...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 09:59:12 AM »
I went to see them and they told me the valve inspection has been moved from the 5th to 6th service  >:(

He said he called Honda about it because he was booking the cost back from Honda as its part of the service plan. "Honda Care" said it no longer needed doing on the 5th.

... but 1 year later it does? I smell a dodge of responsibility. It costs £139 as a separate item.

They likely removed it because the cost of doing it became uneconomical with inflation?

Well it was on my service plan when I brought it so they should honour it - "breach of contract"  ;)

Ill call them and see what they say.

Bear in mind that servicing is not just annual  . Its 'annually  ,or 12500 miles, whichever comes first'.

Valve clearances dont really need checking until 75000 miles. If you do a high annual mileage  and therefore need to service  the car every 12500 miles rather than annually  it would still not reach the 75000 miles threshold  until its 6th service  is due, because of its mileage, regardless of its age. 
Is it reasonable to expect Honda to include the cost of checking the valves in a 5th year service plan when many owners  having servicing annually rather than by mileage  will  be no where near 75000 miles? If you are sticking to the maximum mileage between services the 5th service should be at a maximum of 62,500  miles. 
Or even the 6th year if the car  doesnt yet need it based on mileage?     Better to make it an option at extra cost depending on actual mileage rather doing every car ,regardless of actual mileage, whether it needs it or not. There is a cost for doing this ,even if its hidden in a fixed servicing price deal.

Some things such as oil and fluids can deteriorate with age and should be serviced or inspected  annually  even if only a few miles have been covered.   But this doesnt apply to valve clearances  (assuming oil changes etc havnt been neglected) 

Personally I  wouldnt worry about getting valve clearances checked until the car has reached 75000 miles, .By which time the car might be so old the cost of having the valves checked might not be justified if its nearing the end of its life anyway on other issues such as rust etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 10:11:15 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 11:43:43 AM »
My Jazz Sport is in today for its fifth annual service. A clutch fluid change was the extra being recommended at £69, presumably with VAT on top.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 12:22:04 PM »
My Jazz Sport is in today for its fifth annual service. A clutch fluid change was the extra being recommended at £69, presumably with VAT on top.
Clutch and brake fluid, the reservoire is the same.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
It's the same for the
I had my 18' Jazz serviced by Honda garage. It's 5th service. The car has done 15k miles.

It says AB9 service. On the paperwork A & B items have been ticked but not 9, which is the valve clearance -on 2 bits of paperwork.

Did they change the spark plugs?  Garage we use (spin-off of closed Honda dealership) said they're good for 75000 miles regardless of age.  I know on some cars they can be hard to get out if left too long.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 05:42:27 PM »
On my gd1 jazz it got to 154,000 miles and I never needed to check valve clearance. They tend to go really quiet or make a tapping sound when they need adjusted.

Tags: