Author Topic: Another spare wheel thread!  (Read 1549 times)

Velorum

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 1.4 i-VTEC ES CVT - 2014
Another spare wheel thread!
« on: April 10, 2023, 03:51:16 PM »
Afternoon all.

I have of course used the search function and read a number of threads about spare wheel - but just want to double check that I understand things right!

My 2014 MK2 does not have a spare wheel - instead it has the inflator kit.

Reading the aforementioned threads I understand that the Mk2 boot wheel well will take a full size wheel without protruding into the book space.

Can I just check - is this correct?

New full size steel wheels fitted with tyres are available on Amazon with tools for about 120. Was thinking I could get one of them.

Im not up to changing a wheel myself but at least the AA man could.

On our fairly new people carrier the AA had to tow it away because of a flat!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:07:08 PM by Velorum »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Another spare wheel thread!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 05:19:15 PM »
Hi , I've never had a 2014 mk2   but I believe they often had a space saver wheel.    But I think a full sized spare will also fit in the well without protruding.  The depth may have been reduced on some later cars.

Best check by measuring the width of an existing wheel ,sidewall bulge to bulge  and comparing.

Your problem may be storing a jack. The reduced height of a spacesaver leaves room for  a special  soft tool tray on top of the wheel. A full sized spare will probably be too tall to allow this  and a typical scissor jack may be too big to fit inside the wheel. Its not always easy finding an alternative place  to secure a jack. 
You'll also need a bolt and spacer to bolt the wheel down to the floor. 

You may be able to find a suitable used wheel , clamp bolt  and  tool  tray with its jack and tools   from a breakers or on ebay. Often the jack is like new.  .   If you cant find Honda original tray and tools some  more common small cars such as Renault clio may have a tray and jack kit made to fit inside a wheel that might also be suitable.   Sometimes the tray and tools from cars common in scrapyards are cheaper than a new generic scissor jack thats too big anyway.       
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 05:23:46 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:36:35 PM »
I bought a spare space saver wheel  (and tyres) for my 2012 Mark2.  Jack fits ok in space between wheel and  side of wheel well. No way would it fit with a full size spare wheel.

(And yes I have used it after a tyrewall  cut open by a piece of metal )

Velorum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:55:30 PM »
Thanks folks.

I spotted a single matching alloy with tyre on eBay in good condition so have gone for that. Not too worried if a jack and tools wont fit in the well with it - these can go in the bag of useful items that I always carry in the boot!

Ive also bought an original Honda bolt and bracket for securing the wheel.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:58:10 PM by Velorum »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:21:54 PM »

Not too worried if a jack and tools wont fit in the well with it - these can go in the bag of useful items that I always carry in the boot!

I turn the wheel upside down, and store tools etc, inside the wheel.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Velorum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
An update on this for future reference in the event that anyone has a similar query.

The matching alloy arrived from the eBay seller quickly and is in great condition - no curbing marks etc. The tyre fitted looks nearly new. It fits in the spare wheel well no problem and i have secured it with a genuine Honda clamp. The design of the clamp means that the wheel will only fit one way - which is fine - as mentioned in a previous post when the wheel is stored this way you can keep store other things inside it.

I bought a new 2 ton scissor jack and was pleased to find that there was enough room to slot it into the wheel well just below the warning triangle compartment. Bonus!

Its also possible to fit a few things in the floor hatch cargo net too - in this case a spare bulb kit and fluorescent jacket.

With all of that tucked neatly away I fitted my new plastic boot liner:

For everything else that cant be slotted in like a small selection of tools along with spare clothing and other emergency supplies - these all fit in two small black nylon bags.

I hope thats all helpful to someone!

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 07:58:26 AM »
What size is the new spare? I have been contemplating buying a matching alloy but the car is fitted with the alternative 16 inch wheels, which are not cheap.

Velorum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 08:47:57 PM »
What size is the new spare? I have been contemplating buying a matching alloy but the car is fitted with the alternative 16 inch wheels, which are not cheap.

16"

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 07:55:57 AM »
Thanks.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 04:21:26 PM »
Hi, I bought a jazz spare wheel for my 2011 mk.2. This fits easily in the spare wheel well and if you poke around the trim at the rear of the boot there is a cut out where you can stow the honda jack

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 09:02:48 AM »
Have had my Jazz for a few months now but it is only by reading this thread that I now know about this "secret" compartment at the back of the boot area. Will investigate when I get time next week.

Thanks all.  :)

Tags: