Author Topic: Car still running after being locked...?  (Read 2197 times)

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
Car still running after being locked...?
« on: March 28, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »
A funny thing happened the other day. My wife, who is not at all absent minded, returned home in our Jazz Hybrid and, as usual, put the gear lever into P and applied the parking brake. She then thought she had pushed the power button off (the engine was silent), got out of the car and locked it.

However, an hour later when it got dark the automatic car headlamps came on and we realised the engine was running.

So we presume the car had actually not been powered off as normal and, because it was in EV mode at the time, there was no noise. However, what amazes me is that when the car door was opened it did not sound a warning alert, and that it was possible to lock the car with, in effect, the engine running. Surely neither of these things should be possible?

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas on how to prevent it happening (other than divorce!)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:38:06 PM by Victor Delta »

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
Re: Car still running after being locked...?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »
mine beeps at me....could she have walked away and not noticed?

Victor Delta

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »
That’s what I would have expected. However, I tested ours and it doesn’t.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:27:57 PM »
I've forgot to switch off on a couple of occasions and when I tried to lock the car it beeped at me both times.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Dasat

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:39:21 PM »
The same has happened to me too. I parked my Jazz in IKEA, I thought I had shut it off and locked it. If it did beep I didn't hear it due to the nearby motorway. But looking out of the restaurant window I could see the headlights were on and the wipers intermittently wiping the window. I raced out of the store to find the engine running. I have been careful to make sure I do not repeat such a mistake.

Victor Delta

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 10:36:23 PM »
Thanks. That’s really interesting to hear. I think I’ll do some further tests and then speak to our dealer’s service manager. Is there any other way to report such issues to Honda?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:38:07 PM by Victor Delta »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 04:40:33 AM »
I've nearly done that a couple of times but my on dash Garmin and my phone in charging holder both power down when I turn off.

The Garmin is the first to show the power loss message so I realised immediately I'd done something wrong. In my case I'd pressed the power button without being in P.
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 07:01:20 AM »
If I walk away from car whils ot is running and have the keys with me it makes several loud beeps - is this designed to stop me not locking whilst leaving car?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 07:29:57 AM »
If I walk away from car whils ot is running and have the keys with me it makes several loud beeps - is this designed to stop me not locking whilst leaving car?

It’s to help prevent the law being broken. It’s illegal to leave a car unattended with the engine running on a public highway (although that particular law hasn’t yet caught up with the advent of hybrids where the car’s powered up but the engine isn’t necessarily running). The car doesn’t know if there’s anyone else in the car or whether it’s on a public road, so you’re getting a warning. And I suspect your insurance company would take a dim view of leaving a car unlocked.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 07:49:22 AM »
Its a common thing with keyless cars. Not had it with the Jazz, but did a few times with my first keyless Renault. Like the Jazz, they beeped if you did it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 08:24:31 AM »
Is one problem that if you've got out of the car and shut the door then you won't hear the beeper?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »
If you don't hear our Jazz beep in that situation, you urgently need a hearing aid!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 09:13:47 AM »
Strange! I sometimes pick up my wife, leave the car 'running' in P, unlock seatbelt, get out with the key in my pocket and open the boot. No beeps at all :o. Get in again, lock seatbelt, put it in D and off we go.

Maybe it has to do with the handbrake setting? Ours is set to automatic when pressing the OFF button, but brake hold is not activated. This means that when I get out of the car in the example mentioned, the handbrake is not applied, just the internal transmission lock because of P.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 09:59:42 AM »
Strange! I sometimes pick up my wife, leave the car 'running' in P, unlock seatbelt, get out with the key in my pocket and open the boot. No beeps at all :o. Get in again, lock seatbelt, put it in D and off we go.

You need to close the drivers door to get the reminder beep.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 10:21:08 AM »
If I try to power off without being in P  I get a visual display on the drivers screen, and if  I  miss this and get out of the car ,it beeps.    I believe you can adjust the volume of some warning beeps. 

When leaving the car I now always check the wing mirrors are folding in. Its a useful double check that I havnt left the keys in the car.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything