Author Topic: help needed...  (Read 4698 times)

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
help needed...
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »
hi all

I've just purchased a dashcam & I'm getting interference through the radio.

anyone else encounted this & if so how did you solve it (if at all)

advise would be welcome.....

thanks

'deny everything Baldrick'

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: help needed...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »
What model of dashcam is it and how have you wired it in? Have you ran the power cable alongside the aerial cable? Did you use the power cable the camera came with?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Can you describe the sort of interference you are getting? Is the radio properly tuned to the required station?

I have two Nextbase 402G cameras installed, front and rear. They are both powered from the accessory sockets, the front one, from the socket under the dash and the cable is routed around the screen, under the trim. The rear is powered from the socket in the central cubby box and the cable runs under the rear carpets and through the boot, with the camera bolted to the rear parcel shelf.

Neither gives any interference at all.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
Most DC voltage converters use a high frequency switching circuit.  One accessory socket to USB power converter used to degrade Radio 4 but was fine on other parts of the FM band, I put a different one in and that was OK across the full range.  I would assume a Mk2 original equipment USB socket would be fine, but as it's also a source for the audio unit that does seem to be a path for interference.  The dashcam power lead could also act as a basic aerial itself.

The Mk2 has a powered/boosted aerial rather than the passive version on the Mk1, ripple on the power feed could be causing the interference.  Powering the dashcam from a fusetap rather than the accessory socket might improve things, or possibly if the dashcam accepts it you can use 5v from the car's USB/aux socket directly.

Maybe you will need to add capacitors to the dashcam power supply - a 1000µF 16V electrolytic plus a 10 to 100nF ceramic* would be enough to filter spikes & dropouts (i.e. from headlight relays) and shunt high frequencies to ground.
--
TG

* Using the bypass capacitor formula C= 1/2ΠfcXc  (This website's font doesn't seem to have a good symbol for Pi: Π)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
the nextbase 512GW i have been using for about 4 months came with a clip-on ferrite sleeve to use if the unit  interfered with radio or anything else, but it did not - probably has a decent power converter.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-clip-on-hem3012-n89ab

best to get one with interior diameter enough to allow cable to go through twice

I would get 2,  one to fit to camera lead as near to 12 power plug as possible and the other one for the positive supply cable to cigarette lighter socket if you can locate it.

something may be wrong with aerial cable - maybe not plugged in properly or braid not terminated properly.

alternatively can you put on of these in the positive cable going to dashcam  - this will stop any high frequency from getting from dashcam power supply back into car wiring - also works with HID ballasts when the interfere with other stuff in car.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/leaded-inductors/2131819/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:07:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »
What model of dashcam is it and how have you wired it in? Have you ran the power cable alongside the aerial cable? Did you use the power cable the camera came with?

this one & run cable down left hand door seal

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
If you are using the plug in adaptor, supplied with the camera, it may be that which is causing the interference. I use a quality USB cable and a separate charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M6Q83B4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »
That Ring power adaptor is going to be the culprit; can't really tell if the camera end is micro or mini USB but either using a different 12V/5V adapter, or plugging a cable directly into the car's USB socket should do the trick if you have no luck with the ferrite bead.  It annoys me they can't spend a few extra pennies on that adaptor that would eliminate this issue.  Mentioning it to Ring via their social media or directly might end up with a better adaptor in the post....

Seen this review: "Bought one of these yesterday. After fitting I found it causes interference on the radio."
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dash+cam+interference  suggests it's always a low quality power adaptor.
--
TG

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
That Ring power adaptor is going to be the culprit; can't really tell if the camera end is micro or mini USB but either using a different 12V/5V adapter, or plugging a cable directly into the car's USB socket should do the trick if you have no luck with the ferrite bead.  It annoys me they can't spend a few extra pennies on that adaptor that would eliminate this issue.  Mentioning it to Ring via their social media or directly might end up with a better adaptor in the post....

Seen this review: "Bought one of these yesterday. After fitting I found it causes interference on the radio."
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dash+cam+interference  suggests it's always a low quality power adaptor.
--
TG

hi TG
thanks for your input
its a mini usb end..ive contacted ring & just await there response..

thanks Mark

markandshaz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 08:18:00 AM »
Hi People. Having purchased a Jazz MkII we found that problem of fitting a dashcam and immediately had radio interference. Thinking it was the dashcam power supply running from the 12v socket ditched it for a USB decent 3metre USB cable with ferrite clip and a USB adaptor. Things actually got worse. Annoyed at the situation I tried a different USB adaptor in the 12v socket and suddenly all the issues vanished. I guess the quality of the USB adaptor is key!

Tags:

anything