Author Topic: HONDA JAZZ WITH SAT-NAV - WARNING  (Read 4933 times)

tomaszek

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz I-vtec CVT es-t facelift 2013
HONDA JAZZ WITH SAT-NAV - WARNING
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:24 AM »
To all who have a  second hand 2013- 2015 Jazz with Sat-Nav  A WARNING !!!

If you've bought the car with radio code and it works - that's fine. OURS has no radio code and the unit is also security locked by some previous owner. If you want to obtain  the radio code from this unit - IT NEEDS TO BE SENT BACK TO CLARION to be unlocked!!!

Obviously if the battery isn't disconnected/changed then it will continue working. Once the battery is disconnected -UNIT IS USELESS!!!.

This may also apply to newer/older sat=nav units built into Jazz and other Honda models.. Thanks for recycling Honda...

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: HONDA JAZZ WITH SAT-NAV - WARNING
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
I had a similar experience. I bought a 65 reg in April 2018. The radio/satnav unit was locked by the previous owner and Honda said the default code and the factory code weren't working so it must have been reset by the previous owner, so they phoned her, but she couldn't remember the code. So it was sent back to Honda (took two weeks), who couldn't unlock it. However as I bought it from a Honda dealer they supplied and installed a new unit (£900).

tomaszek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz I-vtec CVT es-t facelift 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »
My story continues... Contacted dealers - unit security locked - not possible to get serial no. and radio code.

Remedy? take out the sat-nav unit (£120), send to manufacture (£???) have them reset it and send back (£???) then have dealer reinstall it ( another £120 ???).

This according to Honda HQ is a security measure as they take security very seriously!!! If the car is stolen ( as our previous was), the unit is ripped out from the car and sold on fleebay. But catalytic converters are so much easier to steal - just cut the exhaust pipes before and after and the unit is free.  No immobiliser to activate, even no alarm to sounds :-[ ( if fitted??) Our neighbours' car had just that operation performed on their Jazz.

HONDA SECURITY FEATURE AT WORK. :-[

bahaoss

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: civic
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
Honda radio codes free here -> http://radiocode.io/

Jack

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:45 PM »
Please forgive me resurrecting this old thread. I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Jazz EX-T with the in-built sat-nav screen.

Having read this thread, I asked about a radio code and the seller says that he does not have a code but that he changed the car's battery last year without needing to unlock the sat-nav/radio with any code after the battery change.

I have no reason to disbelieve the seller, whom has been helpful and responsive to other queries.

Does this suggest that the car satnav/stereo when new came without a lock and presumably the original purchaser did not set a lock code? Or is there another explanation?

Grateful for any advice.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »
Welcome, Jack. I read somewhere that the code is stored in the ECU so the car can install it automatically. However, if you take the unit to another vehicle (such as if stolen) then the ECU in the receiving vehicle has an invalid code.
Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz HybridHX-T
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:25:22 PM »
I have a 2012 HX-T with SatNav. I changed the battery in March 2019 myself and didn’t have a problem. Just as well as I don’t think I have the codes......

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
Welcome, Jack. I read somewhere that the code is stored in the ECU so the car can install it automatically. However, if you take the unit to another vehicle (such as if stolen) then the ECU in the receiving vehicle has an invalid code.
Perhaps someone else can confirm this?
The Mk 2 uses a separate code (I kept mine with the handbook as I know that storing elsewhere would result in it disappearing). The ECU code storage was introduced with the Mk 3 - perhaps due to the hassle / cost of lost codes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jack

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
Thank you very much for the responses. Reassuring to know that at least one other battery has been changed without recourse to any codes. Supports the account of the seller of the car I am looking at. I was quite concerned when I came across this old thread as the first few postings seem to imply that if you don't have the relevant radio and navigation codes, your sound system could be rendered completely useless if the battery dies.

Very grateful: this forum and its contributors are a valuable resource.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:07:06 AM by Jack »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
I believe for that Navigation unit fitted to the T grade models, this is the user manual for the unit.

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/local/uk/cars/owners/Car%20Owners/manuals/EN-SD-owner-manual-119391.pdf

As per page 37 the anti-theft code function can be turned on by the user and this is when they create a unique code only known to the user, if the function is not turned on then no code is required following battery disconnect.

Tags:

anything