Author Topic: Flat battery!  (Read 1491 times)

Maurice

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX i-shift
Flat battery!
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
Is it OK to clamp my charger grips to the battery leads or is it better to remove the leads and clamp the grips to the battery lugs?

Any other tips?

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
Re: Flat battery!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »

Don't charge the battery in the car . Take the battery out of the car to charge otherwise you may risk voltage surge and damage the electronics in the car.

Your better off connecting stright to battery lugs for a secure charge.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
I connect my charger to the battery terminals while leaving the battery connected to the vehicle electrics and there've been no ill-effects. I connect to the battery before switching on the charger. Disconnecting the battery from the vehicle can have unwanted side effects such as needing to re-enter the radio code.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:06:31 PM »
I connect my charger to the battery terminals while leaving the battery connected to the vehicle electrics and there've been no ill-effects. I connect to the battery before switching on the charger. Disconnecting the battery from the vehicle can have unwanted side effects such as needing to re-enter the radio code.

+1

I have a fused lead and plug permanently connected to my motorbike and our cars batteries and just plug in the charger lead ( especially on motorbike that hardly gets used over winter ). Done it for years, never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimate-Permanent-Connection-Chargers-Accessories/dp/B009YJ0QF2

I managed to get an 8 metre SAE extension lead to go between charger and plug and can leave charger in garage and lead slips through gap left when bonnet is closed, so can reach top of our driveway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BATTERY-TENDER-EXTENSION-CABLE-CONNECTOR/dp/B01M03OM9D/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549901686&sr=1-24&keywords=Sae+extension+lead+with+plug

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:16:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
Maybe I'm just being extra cautious then .   ;D ;D
It's the murphy's law thing going round in my head . hehe

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »
Maybe I'm just being extra cautious then .   ;D ;D
It's the murphy's law thing going round in my head . hehe

Certainly in my experience it is safe to charge the battery while still connected to car I certainly would not use a battery charger to keep power on the system while battery is removed, the battery will limit the voltage the battery charger can give out but with the battery not there some chargers can reach 18 volts, especially the older more simple models without electronic control.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: