Author Topic: Honda engine problems?  (Read 2943 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Honda engine problems?
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:02:47 AM »
Came across this on another forum.
Did you hear about the massive engine recall for Hondas? The 1.5L engines have a huge problem with oil lubrication, the Chinese government put a stop sale to all the cars with that engine until Honda fixes the problem. The people in North America have the same engine problems, but not sure why nothing has been done about it.
Haven't had a chance to do any research myself. Has anyone heard anything?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda engine problems?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »
Found this.
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-15l-engine-suffers-cold-weather-oil-dilution-problem

Interesting, but the article quotes Honda as saying ' cooling system is very efficient and did not allow engine to warm up enough '. But IMHO I would say that an efficient cooling system would need to allow engine to quickly reach an efficient temperature and keep it there. Could be that Atkinson cycle produces both less power and less combustion heat and it is not enough to warm engine at lower temperatures....maybe need to fit a big battery and an immersion heater in the water jacket. LOL
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
Thankfully it looks like my HR-V isn't effected.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
Could be that Atkinson cycle
Looks like it is the L15B7 VTC Turbo and the L15BF VTC Turbo, neither of which have the Atkinson cycle. These engines were introduced in 2016 for JDM, China, and North America.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »
I saw that report previously. North American winter temperatures make a cold UK winter day look warm.

Nonetheless it may have highlighted the need for manufacturers to provide more measures to help the engine to quickly get to working temperature during cold weather. Thermostatically-controlled louvres on the engine compartment is an easy fix (and, I believe, provided on the new CR-V).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:58:59 PM »
My guess is that people let the turbo spool up on short commutes, low air-fuel ratio under turbo. That's the reason I think why the 1.5 non-turbo engines are not affected.

Regarding warming up my new Civic takes forever to warm up compared to other cars.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 09:42:08 PM »
I think the dilution problem has been around for a year or so notably on the Civics in the US of A where lower temperatures have been blamed. I did hear that Honda had tweeked their software in the black box. Not sure if they have fixed the problem though which is apparently down to probs with the new range of Turbo GDI engines.

PS - Just seen this is an old thread and the issues already covered so please ignore. A momentary touch of New Yearismmm.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:43:14 PM by MartinJG »

Tags:

anything