Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35413 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2021, 11:12:58 AM »
RDMS is a pain on small roads. LKAS is great because it’s elective, but RDMS needs to be disabled every trip...

Re the handbrake - coming from EVs, I was taken by surprise when selecting P didn’t auto engage the parking brake!

WTF do all these initials mean?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2021, 11:17:08 AM »
Re the handbrake - coming from EVs, I was taken by surprise when selecting P didn’t auto engage the parking brake!

It can do, its in the owners manual Page 498. Just a process of pulling/holding the handbrake switch.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
The more I hear you lot talking about all these systems, all of which I have in my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid, I wonder how badly Honda have got the implementation of them, as they all feel natural and 'right' in the Toyota.

Take the handbrake for example. The Toyota has hill start assist, which is great, especially as there are a couple of hill start junctions I have to manoeuvre on 90% of my journeys. But I also have an actual physical handbrake or can put the car in P rather than hold the car on the footbrake and rely on the hill start assist when I lift my foot off the brake to apply power.

The Lane Keeping Assist has a physical button I can just switch it off with and a dash icon to tell me the status.

Makes me wonder now if Honda have over designed their system. Will really need to have a proper list of things to check when I get round to taking test drives later this year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:13:05 PM by richardfrost »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2021, 12:41:12 PM »
....Makes me wonder now if Honda have over designed their system. ....
I agree. Having worked in auto design, albeit many years ago now, I know how engineers can get a bit carried away with stuff. As the old saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I suspect it's an element of generation trend, the engineers now doing this stuff are from the tech era, they grew up with playstations and PCs and mobiles, so don't really understand the concept of KISS (keep it simple stupid). If there's something I will want to switch on/off regularly, there's nothing better than a good old fashioned switch on the dash, I don't want to be scrolling through menus and find i can't remember whether it's in settings or display or options or ...........
... and I'm from that industry and mildly tech savvy, a lot of folk aren't.
If I can't remember how to alter something, then usually I don't bother.

When I went to view my Jazz I remarked to the sales chap that it was nice to see big round knobs for the heater/ventilation system, .................. he smiled.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
In the near future all cars will have these gizmos so it's now a case of getting used to them and remember to turn on or off what you do or don't want ..... every time you fire up.

I want my brake lights to turn off if I'm not on the footbrake and I don't want any steering correction or warnings.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
RDMS is a pain on small roads. LKAS is great because it’s elective, but RDMS needs to be disabled every trip...

Do you mean that LKAS can be disabled permanently but RDMS needs disabling every time you start the car? I thought that they both needed disarming every time the car was started. Welcome clarification and how long it takes to do the disabling.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2021, 05:09:03 PM »

Do you mean that LKAS can be disabled permanently but RDMS needs disabling every time you start the car? I thought that they both needed disarming every time the car was started. Welcome clarification and how long it takes to do the disabling.
According to pages 470 and 482 of the handbook, LKAS has to be switched on each journey if you want it, using a push button.  RDMS is on by default, but can be turned off each journey using another button.  NB - I only have the handbook (digital), not the car!

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2021, 05:26:10 PM »
Exactly. LKAS is the motorway “autosteer” lane following, and is switched on when you press the steering wheel icon above a certain speed and the system has identified lines.

RDMS is what everyone else calls lane departure avoidance, except Honda has expanded it to include road edge detection. That can’t be switched off permanently.

Ps. I enabled the auto parking brake - it doesn’t come on when P is selected, but it does automatically come on when power is switched off, so it’s a nice safety net to have.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
I no longer put my handbrake on in the garage, "P" does me.

I do know from experience that after I wash the car and reverse it into the garage.. If I do put the handbrake on the oxidation on the discs has more than once.locked the brakes on. Need a little bit of throttle to 'snap' them off.

So still being able to park without the handbrake is good.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2021, 05:53:34 PM »
It doesn’t seem to lock the fronts that effectively though. Last time I forgot the Jazz’s parking brake after parking (having literally sold my EV earlier that day), the thing started rolling backwards on a small incline.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
In the near future all cars will have these gizmos so it's now a case of getting used to them and remember to turn on or off what you do or don't want ..... every time you fire up.

I do like the look of the MK4, and trust Honda to have developed the drivetrain and proven its reliability before releasing it to market. However, it clearly has far too much tech for what I want in a car. It should be 'man and machine in perfect harmony', not 'man faffing about with menus to get some semblance of harmony with machine'!!

As @embee says "KISS (keep it simple stupid)." & "I don't want to be scrolling through menus and find i can't remember whether it's in settings or display or options or.." agreed. Far too complex.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:10 PM »
The safety options such as RDMS are not in the normal menu. There’s a safety button besides the steering wheel and when you press this it will have 2 or 3 options to turn on or off. Very quick and simple. LKAS and traffic sign speed limiter need to be turned on with a button every drive. I’d rather this remembered last setting, but am used to selecting every drive now. All simple though.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »
Can you disable RDMS while keeping AEB active?

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2021, 07:43:52 AM »
From my understanding AEB can’t be disabled.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2021, 07:50:35 AM »
AEB ?

Tags:

anything