Author Topic: Jazz 2011 I-VTEC CVT  (Read 945 times)

cvtjazz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT 2011
Jazz 2011 I-VTEC CVT
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
I'm trying to help my daughter with her Jazz 2011 I-VTEC CVT, which is making ominous noises from the transmission.  There is a rubbing or scraping noise when in motion especially noticable when starting off at low speed.  It appears to be in sync with the wheel rotation, ie, once per revolution.  The car drives normally otherwise, but this noise has been apparent she tells me for at least a year!  Her local garage is sure it's from the gearbox, and not a wheel bearing or similar.

The car mileage is 65k and has a full service history, although the last Honda service was at 45k.  So I'm considering the options . . . From what I've read a new Honda replacement CVT could be many 1000s, and probably more than the car's worth. 

Secondly, I see there are a number of 2nd hand CVTs on ebay (although strangely none I've seen so far in the 08-15 bracket) around £400, but obviously a risk they could be faulty.  Then the cost of swapping the CVTs over - I've no idea but I imagine several hundreds (anyone any guesses?).

Lastly, I'm just wondering if it's worth getting the Honda main dealer to just do a CVT fluid change and hope that might help?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the noise, and the options.  Thanks.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Jazz 2011 I-VTEC CVT
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »
I would START with a fluid change.
When was it last done? Miles ago?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:54:06 AM »
First off someone on the forum will be able to assist.
Do not spend £1  on this issue.

Would you be able to provide more details:
When the jazz is in neutral & coasting does the noise continue?
Near side or drivers side?
Any fluid oil marks underneath car?
Noise occurs both in forward and reverse?
Have the tyres/ pads/discs been inspected?
When was it last serviced & cuurent mileage
Any record of cvt oil changed ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:40:27 AM »
When was it last serviced & cuurent mileage
Car has done 65K and last service was at 45K so even if fluid was changed at last service it is due about now anyway. However, if it was done ar 25K and skipped at 45K (due doing at 50K) it has now done 40K since changing.
I would go for a flush and a further change after first checking that there was no brakes sticking and pads rubbing.
That is just a case of lifting one wheel at a time (front and rear) and spinning the wheel. Or go for a short drive then check which if any of the wheels is warm. Caution: One could be hot.

cvtjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »
Thanks all for your replies; in answer to the points raised my daughter tells me:

Yes, the noise is also present in neutral (coasting) and in reverse,
Difficult to say exactly where it's coming from, it's quite apparent to the driver and passenger and definitely from the front.  But as I said previously, the car accelerates and drives normally, no other symptoms.  The noise can best be described as a whir, whir, whir, , a bit like something is intermittantly rubbing against the wheel once per revolution (Note:  I have an MGF that does that on full lock!!!)
No fluid leaks under the car
The car was MOTed and serviced on Friday, passed and had new front pads fitted.  Wheel bearings fine.  I had told the garage owner about the noise, so safe to assume he's checked every possibility.  He told me that with car on the ramps and weight off wheels the noise was present with car in drive with one front wheel restained.  No play is drive shafts.
Current mileage 65k, and last Honda main dealer service at 45k (Nov 2016).  We don't have the service sheet records, and no indication in the service book when exactly the last cvt fluid change was done.

Hope this helps . .

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
What I would do is jack up the front and spin the wheels with someone holding the other one. Does it only make the noise on one wheel? If both wheels do it, it sounds like a transmission noise.  If just the one then investigate that. Likely noises are stone between disc and brake backplate or brake backplate a little bent and touching a part of the disc.

cvtjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
Jocko, thanks, but as I said the car was serviced and had MOT 2 days ago.  Also I asked garage man to investigate noise and he's  certain the noise is from the cvt gearbox, but said he would not be able to go any further.  I don't have immediate access to the car; both daughter and I are self isolating in separate homes.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
I had a similar noise on a previous Jazz that turned out to be a brake caliper seized on the sliding pins. The brakes worked OK and would have passed an MoT test.

VicW.

Tags:

anything