Author Topic: LIM symbol on multi-function display  (Read 26902 times)

guest6609

LIM symbol on multi-function display
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Hi

I noticed today on the multi-function display that there is a LIM symbol on the top left of the display, which I have not noticed before, so think it must be new...anybody knows what this means?

I looked in the handbook but can't find reference to it.

Thanks in advance

Neil

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: LIM symbol on multi-function display
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
Automatic speed limiter - it will read the speed on the road signs and try to stop you going any faster (unless you really put your foot down). It's explained in the handbook somewhere. I've never tried using this function but did find useful (i) the display of the last speed limit sign and (ii) a little 'ping' when accelerating through 30 mph (as once the Mk 3 gets going it easily gets over the 30 mph limit).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
Interesting. How does it try to stop you going any faster?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
There are two speed limiters, referred to as Adjustable and Intelligent, (linked to the speed sign reader). See pages 417 to 427 in the user manual. I have no idea how they work, I have not used them as I prefer cruise control.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
Fully discussed here http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8617.msg44145#msg44145.  I still think it's amazing after 12,500 miles.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
Have to confess to giving an Audi a bit of a fright on the way back from golf today. I followed the Audi onto the A43 and for a laugh decided to select 'S' and floor the accelerator. The Audi started to indicate to pull out then had to change their mind. They never did catch me up  ;D :-[

I was thinking of my tyres. My thoughts were along the lines of 'sod the damn' things' :D

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
I find flooring it in third is useful if you want to shift, but I know my pals 300+ BHP Audi S3 would leave me in a cloud of dust as he disappeared into the distance leaving me a view of its quadruple exhausts.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
I find flooring it in third is useful if you want to shift, but I know my pals 300+ BHP Audi S3 would leave me in a cloud of dust as he disappeared into the distance leaving me a view of its quadruple exhausts.
For sure. But I find that most people don't want to use what they have. Whereas when the mood takes me I will push my car as hard as I can. A Jazz pushed to its limit (red line all the way way with CVT) will outperform an Audi driver not willing to work the car hard. Not something I do very often but I was on my way to the petrol station and decided ti have some fun ;)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
It does an engine good to be well exercised on a regular basis when it is fully up to operating temperature, remembering the oil takes longer to heat up than the coolant,  it blows all the crap out of the engine and exhaust after a few days of pottering around. :-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:44:28 PM by Deeps »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
It also engages the vtec system and keeps it free to move and in good condition.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:18:24 AM by Deeps »

guest6609

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
Automatic speed limiter - it will read the speed on the road signs and try to stop you going any faster (unless you really put your foot down). It's explained in the handbook somewhere. I've never tried using this function but did find useful (i) the display of the last speed limit sign and (ii) a little 'ping' when accelerating through 30 mph (as once the Mk 3 gets going it easily gets over the 30 mph limit).

Thanks, that helped me found out how to turn it off

Neil

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »
Prompted by this thread I have been trying out the LIM options for the first time. Observations so far:

I am impressed by the smart LIM as well. For me it hasn't picked up any non-applicable side roads yet.

In a 30 zone it limits the speed to 30mph on the speedometer, which is a true 27mph (from satnav) so seems very slow.

The most frustrating time is when leaving a 30mph village. The end of speed limit sign is a few hundred yards from last house, and normally I would be picking up speed a bit as I approached the sign, but the LIM function doesn't let you do this until you are 10 yards past the sign.

The LIM speed can't be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator. I floored it with no effect. Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure I will stick with it but might use it sometimes.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:42:26 AM by mikebore »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
You can always adjust the limit manually so that it lets you drive at a true 30 or whatever.  But you then have to do it again if it sees a repeater sign.  Life's a bit too short for all that I think!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
The most frustrating time is when leaving a 30mph village. The end of speed limit sign is a few hundred yards from last house, and normally I would be picking up speed a bit as I approached the sign, but the LIM function doesn't let you do this until you are 10 yards past the sign.
The system is trying to keep you within the law, because the speed limit applies until you pass the sign.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
You can always adjust the limit manually so that it lets you drive at a true 30 or whatever.  But you then have to do it again if it sees a repeater sign.  Life's a bit too short for all that I think!

Thanks, are you saying you can use the + button to make it go at 30 instead of 27 even in smart mode? I didn't try that, but it would be tiresome to do it each sign.

I can see the non-smart settable LIM might be useful on motorways. I find cruise control on motorways is a problem because of frequent need to adjust or cancel unless the motorway very clear.

Tags:

anything