Author Topic: Screen mirroring, Android smartphone  (Read 17827 times)

Ricardo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
Screen mirroring, Android smartphone
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
Apparently you can connect an android smartphone that supports screen mirroring or mirrorlink to the infotainment system and see the phone screen on the display and use the icons. I can't get it to work - has anybody tried?

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Re: Screen mirroring, Android smartphone
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
For me it's one of numerous things that don't work on Honda Connect that should.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »
I have bought a 2011 EX with a hands free phone system, that is enough of a rave for me putting contacts in there!

I could have had some fun because the previous owner left all their contacts in there.

Vic.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »
Quite a few YouTube videos showing how it's supposed to work (eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ri4wNd9OQU), but the big catch seems to be that it only works on a limited number of phones. My Moto G isn't one of them so I haven't been able to try. So if anyone has one of the phones listed here:http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones and cares to try it out that might be helpful for others ?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »
The Samsung S4 Mini is on the MirrorLink list but I couldn't get it to work. When I took the car to the dealers to have mats fitted a technician showed me that MirrorLink worked with his HTC phone. He said it needed Android 5. I've now got an Android 5 phone but it's the wrong time of year to sit in the car and fiddle with this.

Besides which, the technician said that MirrorLink automatically stopped when the car was moving (or maybe even just turned on) so I instantly lost interest.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5251

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:08:38 PM »
i think overall mirrorlink is a waste of time ,over on a toyota forum the new
aygo has the same issues as in most phones aren't compatible with mirror link
some of them have had success using miracast instead

Ricardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
Apparently my Samsung A3 phone IS compatible but I can't get it to work. I'll probably never use it but things that are supposed to work, and don't really wind me up. Red rag to bull syndrome I suppose.
It doesn't even suggest the need for a phone app, it should just work like Bluetooth or WiFi. (Yeah, right...)
However I'm due to see the sales guy later this week. I've already asked him to look into it so I'll hopefully be able to post chapter & verse by the weekend.

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »
"MirrorLink - allowing them to be connected and responsible at the same time."
Well it seems mirrorlink is not mirrorcast for cars with good reason, but the incompatibilities between MirrorLink 1.0 / 1.1 handsets & head units is a complete mess although compatibility should improve as the Pioneer head units are also in VAG and Peugeots. Anyway it seems a dead-end in the face of Apple and Google's own efforts.  It does just seem to be a more complicated method of getting radio / music / navigation and little else at the moment. And which connection to use: wireless / USB / bluetooth / MHL / HDMI ?

There seem to be all sorts of exploits and tweaks to enable features or for those who want Netflix while driving, but really, why?

One may be interesting:
  • > hold down power+home+eject  (or Menu+Power+Brightness from the Android screen)
  • > choose 'detail information & setting'
  • > hold 'menu' until new menu appears
  • > choose 'vehicle model information'
  • > many options for tinkering but 'DD VSP Error' can be turned off
  • > now HDMI input works while driving

Some people are trying a Chromecast/Roku/FireTV plugged in to enable wireless screen mirroring.

Controversy seems to be brewing over Android Auto / Apple CarPlay functionality that's in certain Honda 2016 models but not others or whether it will be made available as an upgrade to what seem to be identical head units (unlikely) but again new frustrations (or safety measures) occur such as limiting finger actions like scrolling a list to encourage voice interaction instead.

i think overall mirrorlink is a waste of time
Agreed (in a Jazz). About as useful as an internet connected fridge.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
Agreed (in a Jazz). About as useful as an internet connected fridge.
--
TG
So it orders food when you're running low

guest5906

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »
I've also had problems with connecting my Samsung Galaxy S6 via Mirrorlink.   When I was buying the car I checked the brochure which said that the Jazz Honda connect system was Mirrorlink enabled.  I also spoke to the dealer when I was buying the car saying my intention was to connect my phone via Mirrorlink and use a third party sat nav (Sygic) and they thought it would work.  I followed the instructions closely but although my phone says it is connected the Honda system says the phone is not compatible!  So I tried to talk to my dealer and they had no ideas and couldn't tell me what smartphones - if any - were compatible.  So I contacted mirrorlink and they sent me a link to a compatibility search page on their website which shows my phone is compatible but the Honda system is not listed as compatible!  So I tried Honda customer services and complained.   Sadly they are being very unhelpful about this issue simply stating that what I'm trying to do is not allowed or supported.  But this is not what the Mirrorlink website says, it says it should do exactly what I was hoping -  see www.mirrorlink.com first paragraph (i.e. allow applications like sat navs while driving).  If Honda are not allowing Mirrorlink functionality then in my opinion their brochures shouldn't say that Honda CONNECT is Mirrorlink enabled.  When I pointed out to Honda complaints department what the Mirrorlink website says they said that it was a US website and didn't apply to UK cars - surely this is not right and it certainly isn't very help.  I think Honda are having lots of problems with connectivity via Mirrorlink and are now trying to deny responsibility for this sorry mess. So I'll try trading standards next and post if I have any joy.

guest7192

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Did anyone have any luck getting an s6 to mirrorlink in the end?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
Nope. My S7 Edge will recognise the car but only so far as to turn its own screen off. After that nothing happens. The infotainment unit says something about being the wrong version.

The problem last I heard was that the infotainment unit is using the first version of Mirrorlink (no surprise given that the car was released with an obsolete version of Android). The two versions of Mirrorlink were not originally compatible but there was a suggestion they were going to fix that eventually and that supposedly Mirrorlink 2 devices (our phones) would eventually be able to talk to older devices (our cars).

Oink, oink. Flap, flap.

guest7677

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 06:41:34 AM »
Just contacted Honda Care regarding this (as we were hoping to link our smartphone in order to use the sat nav). Not possible, due to the fact that it might allow other programmes other than sat navs to run on the screen (such as YouTube etc?), that might distract the driver. We questioned this but they were adamant, although did say their tech department was considering a fix that would allow sat nav "for the future".
Would have gone for a Nav version but ours was secondhand. Waze, the free Android satnav, is an excellent system, just a shame it is not compatible at the moment.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »
Waze, the free Android satnav, is an excellent system, just a shame it is not compatible at the moment.
I'ld not heard of Waze until reading this.  After reading a bit about it, it seems to me that it could be very distracting;  since being bought by Google, it sounds as though it's trying to cover some of the social media functions, and also uses real-time input from drivers about traffic conditions, mapping errors etc.

guest7677

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
Good point. We used to use TomTom but found Waze to be superior in many departments, but only if you have a navigator, as it gives so much information. If either of us drive on our own, we go back to the old TomTom.

Tags: