Author Topic: Mk3 Specification in a Nutshell  (Read 21455 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Mk3 Specification in a Nutshell
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
I have been browsing Golfs . . . . . I looked at them before buying the Jazz, and the cam belt cost of £700 put me off,

Not sure where you get that figure from - it's around £400 ish but dealers constantly seem to have £299 offers.
Prior to buying the Jazz Hybrid, I really wanted the Golf 1.6 diesel auto, and I ran a spreadsheet to compare, the two, plus the option of buying a cheaper, but older car, maybe a £5000 Focus. Over 4 years, and 120k miles the Focus would have been far more expensive due to its poor fuel economy of 32mpg, which would realistically have given me 26mpg whilst working.
A used Golf worth £15k and a new Jazz £17.5k were very similar in running costs servicing, Honda was slightly better mpg, but the Golf would be cheaper to buy. However VW said that the cambelt would need changing every 40,000 miles, some have since said its 80,000 miles at a cost of £700, now if it is every 40k, that puts an additional £2100 on the running costs and its a non-starter as the purchase is a business decision, so it wouldn't make financial sense.
As it goes, in the 4 years, I managed to put 170k on the Jazz, and so far repairs outside of tyres, brakes and fluids, has totalled £101, £96 for a battery and £5 for a mechanic to fit a sidelight bulb as my fat fingers don't fit, so I have no regrets there.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
What is a "highbeam support system"
If music be the food of love, play on

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
What is a "highbeam support system"
Evidently, according to Mr Salesman, if you have the car on main beam, and the car detects an oncoming car it switches the main beam, back to dipped beam, until the oncoming car has passed and then switches it back to main beam again . . . . . now that won't be interpreted as a flash to anyone in a side turning at all, will it??
Admittedly it did seem that the gadgets can all be switched off individually.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
I am astounded, that Honda have chosen not to fit any new  Jazz model with a Sunroof/glass panel.
In recent years, have had 3 EX model cars and for me and I suspect many others, the main reason for choosing these over the lower models was the Sunroof.
I'm not really interested in the other gizmos that come with the model, ie leather covered gearstick or whatever.

All my cars, from as far back as I can remember have always had a Sunroof as I find driving/riding in cars without, to be quite dark and claustrophobic, particularly with the current trend to dark headlining colours.

So, unless Honda decide to amend their Jazz range to include this feature, then this will unfortunately be my last Jazz.

It has been suggested on a similar thread that I move to the HRV model, which is available with the Sunroof, yes, very nice, but unfortunately this is way beyond my budget.

Surely I'm not the only one, making this observation and suspect EX sales will drop as a result.

Best regards - Kenneve.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
No opening roof ???
Yes its a feature of many new models - Its all about cost of build, the opening S/R of years gone back was expensive to fit on the assembly line , caused the dealership issues when faults appeared and added weight to the car = more CO2 all bad news for Honda.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
However VW said that the cambelt would need changing every 40,000 miles, some have since said its 80,000 miles at a cost of £700,

Very off topic, but VW servicing is a great source of irritation to me - to the extent that our Golf is the only car in our family fleet that is looked after by an indie, rather than a franchised dealer.

I think the cambelt change is a scam - in some markets it doesn't even get looked at until 120K, and then it's only a check.  In the UK dealers were frightening people into 4yr/40K changes.   VW say on post 2009 cars it's 5yrs but still don't state a  mileage - when I asked the dealer they said it only needs doing early if the car does high mileage. 

"What's high?" I asked - "you don't need to worry about that, sir" was the reply!  I've seen everything from 70K to 140K quoted.   I can't say I follow this in great detail, but VW have gone back to belts after using chains for a while in some engines but having lots of problems, so chains aren't infallible.  The newer belted engines are, I think, considered to be for lifetime.

Your use-case is obviously a bit different to the average owner.  We've just replaced one of our Jazz's with a VW Tiguan.  I figured the cambelt isn't an issue as current thinking is that I won't own the car when it's due.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
In recent years, have had 3 EX model cars and for me and I suspect many others, the main reason for choosing these over the lower models was the Sunroof.

Funnily enough the glass sunroof was the main reason I did not buy an EX, just goes to show that Honda cannot please everyone. ;D

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »
Funnily enough the glass sunroof was the main reason I did not buy an EX, just goes to show that Honda cannot please everyone. ;D

I thought an ES Plus pretty well is an EX without the glass roof?

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

Nearly, few other gizmos on the EX such as fog lights, auto headlights (whatever that means) and rain sensing wipers, otherwise similar and quite a bit cheaper.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »

Nearly, few other gizmos on the EX such as fog lights, auto headlights (whatever that means) and rain sensing wipers, otherwise similar and quite a bit cheaper.
Auto headlights, come on when it senses dusk, although I found that on my HS the lights come on when passing tree shadows, or going under a bridge, just a tad annoying.

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »
just a tad annoying.

Especially for any approaching motorists, I can imagine they must wonder why you are flashing them. :o

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
Auto headlights, come on when it senses dusk, although I found that on my HS the lights come on when passing tree shadows, or going under a bridge, just a tad annoying.

Not just annoying - dangerous.  I had exactly that (came on under a bridge) and a car thought I was flashing and pulled out.

I did a similar thing when the headlights of an approaching Jag seemed to flash - I realised what had happened is they'd come on with a "pop" as they were HID lamps.  If set on auto a lot of cars turn them on when wipers are used.

So I never use auto-lights and I'm mindful of other road users even when turning them on manually.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
I need to do some more investigation of the headlight behaviour of my Mk 3 but the switch seems to be spring-loaded to bounce back from off to the Auto position. I kept the lights on my HS under manual control but a couple of times fell into the trap of turning the switch two clicks (which should be headlights) because of low visibility and then subsequently noticed that the lights weren't on because two clicks is the Auto position on that switch. The switch on the Mk 3 is arranged differently: Off; Auto; side lights; headlights. And, as I noted above, I can't persuade the switch to stay in off.

I took the new car on a fairly long drive today and noticed the problem of the head lights coming on under heavy shade conditions caused by overhanging trees. There was one section where it was sufficiently dark that the lights were sensible but they were too willing to come on under other conditions, such as the road being in shadow at 6:15pm on a bright evening. Other drivers must have been wondering why I had the headlights on. I did notice that once the headlights were on then there was a significant delay before they turned off again so they wouldn't give a brief flash.

The algorithm for deciding when to turn on the headlights needs tweaking to take account of the DRLs which provide a first level of making the car visible to others.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
The algorithm for deciding when to turn on the headlights needs tweaking to take account of the DRLs which provide a first level of making the car visible to others.

People who write software rarely live in the real world,  they just write what they think (or what is easiest) and impose it on the world - just look at MicroSoft !!  I'll stick with manual lights and wipers thanks,  the human brain has been developed over a long, long time to exist in this world and I sure do trust mine much more than a few transistors and code on a chip made in China for £1.50  - My brain would not want tweaking to take DRL's into account either (or whether it is raining or not,  ie. can I see through the windscreen or not).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mylesm

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
I do high motorway mileage, so I use the cruise control constantly.

I also like the auto wipers, it save pupils panicking when lorries send up spray, but not so keen on the auto lights. its not a "come get me" car but a sensible purchase . . . . . I have been browsing Golfs . . . . . I looked at them before buying the Jazz, and the cam belt cost of £700 put me off, but it is tempting me as the mpg is up around 72mpg combined, and a 50 litre tank.

dont buy vw they are the worst reliable cars you can get i have had two from new and constant problems but not a thing from my two hondas i have had from new and the vw servicing costs are a joke too and who uses cam belts still lol  always chains for me from now on

I agree worst car I had was a VW Golf 1.9TDI and thats in 40years of driving loads of problems Door locks,Main Power Relay,Crankshaft Pulley to name a few never ever again would I buy a German make Jap all the way home for me

Tags:

anything