Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 45203 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2020, 05:42:02 PM »
I doubt that what little heat the sun would add would have any effect over the heat generated by contact with the road.

Good point but is heat, generally, a problem with the system? I just wonder what causes the false alarms and why, certainly in the case of my first Mk3, the system seems to resolve itself after several resets.

Having done a bit of googling several people have reported the false alarms being triggered after motorway driving.

I have a suspicion that there's a speed below which it doesn't warn at, because I drove around for short while with a space saver tyre fitted, around town only, and it didn't warn me of a problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
I have a BMW which has pressure sensors in each wheel and after parking in the sun there can be a pressure difference of almost 3psi between the sunny and shady sides.
Standing in the sun. But once you start driving the differential between sides will disappear.

guest4871

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »
I have a BMW which has pressure sensors in each wheel and after parking in the sun there can be a pressure difference of almost 3psi between the sunny and shady sides.
Standing in the sun. But once you start driving the differential between sides will disappear.

Parking in the sun makes it a problem checking the tyre pressures on the drive before you set out - I have to wait for a cloudy day  ;)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »

Parking in the sun makes it a problem checking the tyre pressures on the drive before you set out - I have to wait for a cloudy day  ;)

Best to do it first thing in the morning.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »

Best to do it first thing in the morning.

I've always checked tyre pressures late at night when the temperature is at it's lowest. I don't reset the tyre monitoring system until the morning just before driving off, never had a problem with any of our Honda's (CR-V, Civic & Jazz) doing this procedure. You definitely need stable temperatures to get the most accurate pressures (e.g. no sun or other temperature sources like close buildings on one side of the car).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
I think I will follow the advice about setting my tyre pressures when the sun isn't shining. One half of the car is in shade on my drive. That said, even when I've tested the tyres on a cool overcast day I have found little or no difference in pressures - 1 psi at the very most.

The other issue may be the pattern of my driving with motorway cruising being a relatively rare event.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »
Is this tyre pressure warning system fitted in all variants of the Mk3 Jazz?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2020, 02:45:12 AM »
In Europe yes. All GK Jazzes have TPMS as it became mandatory in EU for all new cars from November 2014.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
In Europe yes. All GK Jazzes have TPMS as it became mandatory in EU for all new cars from November 2014.

OK, thanks for the info.

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
I now keep my tyre pressures around 0.1 to 0.2 Bars above the sticker pressure & system behaves, in my old cars (without this system that encourages you to check pressure more often) I pumped up to the handbook pressure & no more but these days that's unwise

Sven

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3 2017 ADAS
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
Hi
Can see this is an old topic and thread, but just want to chip in that I got the same problem fixed after almost a year after purchasing a 2017 mk3,
After approx half an hour drive on the motorway at 130km/h it gave a tire alarm for no reason. EVERY TIME I drove across Denmark, every week. But never at 80km/h drives or lower, which I also do for hours every week.
After several service visits at the authorized Honda dealer/service center where I bought it 3 years old last year, they did a low-level reset of the system based on guidance from Honda, and since there has been absolutely no problems, and it reacts correctly, and never give false alarms.
For information, Jazz MK3 use the indirect TPMS system based on comparing the speed of the wheels, and not the direct TPMS system where there is a sensor in each tire which other cars use.

richard

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Croostar Hybrid
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2024, 08:20:09 PM »
New Jazz, same old problem!
Every time I take it on a motorway, the deflation light comes on.  Checking tyre pressures on the hard shoulder is extremely dangerous!  Then discovering that there is nothing wrong with the tyre pressures is extremely frustrating!  Kia have a much more sophisticated but totally reliable system.  If Kia can do it, why (after 20 years) can't Honda?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2024, 09:11:41 PM »
Every time I take it on a motorway, the deflation light comes on.  Checking tyre pressures on the hard shoulder is extremely dangerous!  Then discovering that there is nothing wrong with the tyre pressures is extremely frustrating!
All bar one of my few warnings have happened on motorways. I listen for any strange noises and check how the vehicle feels to drive then carry on to the next stop. They have all been false alarms. Perhaps continuously driving in one direction with minimal bends makes the system more sensitive. Remember to set the system to recalibrate itself after checking that the pressures are OK. This can be done even if not immediately driving the vehicle.

The one instance of a warning that wasn't on a motorway was on my way home from having tyres changed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2024, 10:12:29 PM »
Every time I take it on a motorway, the deflation light comes on.  Checking tyre pressures on the hard shoulder is extremely dangerous!  Then discovering that there is nothing wrong with the tyre pressures is extremely frustrating!  Kia have a much more sophisticated but totally reliable system.  If Kia can do it, why (after 20 years) can't Honda?

Just wondering if you're conscientious about following the recalibration procedure? This requires you to spend at least 30 minutes driving at a full range of speeds with lots of turns in both directions. That should set suitable  parameters so the system knows what's "normal" and what isn't.

That said, some cars seem to be more prone to problems than others ...  I've only had one false alarm in over 8 years, others seem to be plagued with them. I've also seen suggestions that the tyres and TPMS systems on new cars can take a while to "bed in"; maybe that indicates that the factory and/or dealers don't take the time to do the calibration procedure.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2024, 04:41:27 AM »
Yes, ideally you need a 15 mile run taking in all manner of roads as posted above

Just guessing but if it only triggers on fast roads then is one wheel heating up due to 'something' and temporarily increasing that tyres pressure ?

When you are able, check each tyre/wheel for raised heat when it triggers
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything