Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 42479 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Help needed by an elderly Jazz driver please.
Had the car three years now and still not comfortable with the system.
The car has been back several times and the system always comes on the screen on the motorway. I only  motorway drive on holiday or infrequently. I know how to reset it ( initialise).
Latest visit to garage was three weeks ago and they said they have done everything that Honda have instructed them to. This has happened before. For health reasons I have a new automatic on order to collect on return from holiday. But I'm using my present manual gearbox car to drive in France next week.
Question is.....do I check the tyre pressures, inflate to correct pressure and reset...knowing I have done this several times over the years and it has always given me false warnings or do I leave alone and hop off in hope?
Thanks in advance for your help.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »
Sidot - worth having a look at a thread called "Tyre Pressure Warning System - Danger of crying wolf too often" started by Mike Bore with more than a few entries from your truly!

In a nutshell, my experience was as follows: Bought a 10 month old Mk 3 Jazz in February this year with just under 7,000 miles on the clock. First bit of motorway driving, light came on. Pulled off the motorway and checked pressures at a petrol station - all OK.

2 weeks later, a bit more motorway driving and the light came on again. Ignored it this time but checked tyres on getting home - pressures were perfect. Recalibrated system as per manual.

2 weeks further on - bit more motorway - light came on. Ignored it. Checked at home, pressures normal. Recalibrated system again. Checked with local dealer and agreed that next time the light came on I would NOT recalibrate but bring the car in to be looked at.

Since then, the system has not activated once despite several motorway trips. It's been OK for the last 3 months despite the hot weather. I recalibrate every time I check the tyre pressures.

I gather the system is very sensitive. Why mine did it and then stopped doing it is a complete mystery. One thing worth checking is this - are all the tyres the same brand and tread pattern? are they all at the same state of wear? I gather if you have a different type and condition of tyre on any axle it can cause issues.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
If it is currently ok then my advice would be leave alone and hop off in hope!  Changing pressures, or even checking them is likely to set it off again.

It is relatively easy to recalibrate (reset) the system.  I would get the garage to show you how to do this while taking notes.  And then do it yourself immediately in front of them.  It is far easier to learn by doing than by reading instructions.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
My local dealer has had so many questions about this system they’ve found it necessary to put a special sign in the service reception area. See this post:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8667.msg61213#msg61213
(the image is easier to read in the post following that one after it was re-posted in portrait format)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
I’m pretty sure that on my HRV after you reset the system you had to drive a certain distance at a certain speed before the reset 'locked in'. It might have been 25 miles at 40mph or something. Basically, a modest motorway journey.  I might have dreamed that but I don’t think so.

Can't see why that would be necessary as my current Toyota manages just fine. I have replaced a tyre, had one repaired and reinflated one several times before that and the reset was immediately effective. But then Honda does have a general tendency to over complicate things, whereas Toyota are famed for simplifying things.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:55:00 PM by richardfrost »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
I have never had any problem, in 3 months ownership. Even after topping up.
 I have run the procedure, once. For familiarisation.....

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »
If it is currently ok then my advice would be leave alone and hop off in hope!  Changing pressures, or even checking them is likely to set it off again.

It is relatively easy to recalibrate (reset) the system.  I would get the garage to show you how to do this while taking notes.  And then do it yourself immediately in front of them.  It is far easier to learn by doing than by reading instructions.

That would be my advice as well. It's annoying but don't let it spoil your trip.

Sidot

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.
I shall kick each tyre and then set off in hope.!
I'm a Jazz enthusiast and am hoping that my next car which is to be of necessity an automatic will be free from TPWS problems.
Thanks again.

Sidot

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Im back from holiday.
675 miles in UK and France.
Guess what......that's it TPWS on all the time no matter what I do.
Ignore it....reset it.....reinflate tyres and reset it, nothing stopped it coming on.
It's a shame because other than that the car performed very well.
Got a SE CVT on order and can't wait to say cheerio to this car.
I'm saying that whoever buys this car from Brindley Honda will get a very good car with only 18k miles on the clock and a TPWS that cannot be cured from malfunctioning.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
Hope it didn't spoil the holiday.

These things are a complete mystery. I have never found out why mine kept coming on and why, for no apparent reason, the fault cured itself.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
I had a couple of self inflicted ones with my last Jazz, none with this one, although I have checked and adjusted the pressures and reset the system three times (monthly).

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
My neighbour overcame his TPMS problems by letting some air out of his tyres so they were all 2psi below the recommended pressures.  He reset the system then inflated the tyres to their normal pressures, which for him is 2psi over the manufacture's figures. He did it in the morning when the tyres were at there coldest. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but it worked for him.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »
That might work, put the tyre pressures up to the maximum recommended pressure, initialise and run like that for long enough for the system to calibrate itself and then repeat at normal operating pressures. Certainly worth a try.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 07:03:36 AM »
I might have another solution.
I recently had to change one front tyre, because of a serious cut in the tread, probably caused by a pothole.
This change has since caused the TPWS to activate several times, I guess due to the differing tread depth between the left and right hand tyres, although only about 1.5 mm.
Yesterday on my usual trip 'oop north ', a 240 mile round trip, the TPWS activated again, early on in the journey on the M42.
I stopped at the next services and checked TP and reset the system.
It did not activate again during the next 200+ miles.
Could it be that, resetting the TPWS on straight motorway type roads, rather than twisty urban roads has made the difference?
Certainly it is logical to think that this is so, time will tell!!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
Good point, my self inflicted ones were after a system reset and onto a motorway. Maybe the system has to work out a max and min rotation rate for each wheel. If these are close together due to predominantly straight running the system might not give itself enough leeway for the trigger level. How's that for clutching at straws.

Tags:

anything