Author Topic: Air conditioning  (Read 3018 times)

guest8810

Air conditioning
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:24:18 AM »
I am at present sitting in my local Honda sale room etc, Awaiting completion of 3rd year service and 1st MOT,
I have just been informed that I should have air conditioning serviced at £65.00. Car has done just over 10000 miles,I have declined there kind offer.
Any observations would be really useful. thank you.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Air conditioning
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
I am at present sitting in my local Honda sale room etc, Awaiting completion of 3rd year service and 1st MOT,
I have just been informed that I should have air conditioning serviced at £65.00. Car has done just over 10000 miles,I have declined there kind offer.

You can get a check and full regas at places like Kwik-fit, ATS etc. for less than that,  by 'service' i guess they mean gas pressure check, but £65 is expensive for that,  but does that cost  include a gas top-up if required ? I am at a loss to how they would 'service' the aircon,  because even checking the clutch plate gap means taking big bits off,  maybe including the wheel under-guarding and bumper.   

The best way to service your aircon is to use it all the time and keep the lubricating oil flowing around and the seals supple... the gas leaks out quite quickly from a system that is not used very often.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest8810

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »

You can get a check and full regas at places like Kwik-fit, ATS etc. for less than that,  by 'service' i guess they mean gas pressure check, but £65 is expensive for that,  but does that cost  include a gas top-up if required ? I am at a loss to how they would 'service' the aircon,  because even checking the clutch plate gap means taking big bits off,  maybe including the wheel under-guarding and bumper.   

The best way to service your aircon is to use it all the time and keep the lubricating oil flowing around and the seals supple... the gas leaks out quite quickly from a system that is not used very often.

Many thanks for the quick reply, The AC is used Pretty much all the time even in winter so I guess my refusal is perhaps sensible.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
I've done 40,000 and at the recent four year service the dealer check said Aircon OK.  No attempt to sell me a top-up.  I have used it a lot, but not all the time - in summer for cooling and in winter for de misting.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
Interesting.

I entertained the thought the other day that my fridge/freezer hasn't had a service in the last 10 years and still works. Isn't AC just a fridge in reverse? Why haven't Hotpoint been in touch?

I have mine on most of the time as well and that's probably the best maintenance there is.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
Interesting.

I entertained the thought the other day that my fridge/freezer hasn't had a service in the last 10 years and still works. Isn't AC just a fridge in reverse? Why haven't Hotpoint been in touch?

I have mine on most of the time as well and that's probably the best maintenance there is.

My thoughts entirely!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »
Isn't AC just a fridge in reverse?
It isn't even in reverse. Mum's freezer has run, non-stop, since the 1970s. Probably not as efficient as it once was, but still going.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
The thing about a fridge is that the leakage points are prevented by burying the compressor motor inside the refrigerant tank - which does away with rotating seals, and also has no clutch,  also the fridge exists in a very benign environment inside a house normally - many aircon problems are caused by damage to radiator by corrosion and stones and by letting the gas leak away by not using it very often,  many people turn off aircon in the winter and then are surprised when come summer when they need it it does not work.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »
I am at present sitting in my local Honda sale room ... I have just been informed that I should have air conditioning serviced at £65.00.

Does Honda's service schedule require this work at this stage of your car's life ?
If "yes", it should be included in your 3rd year service.
If "no", then the Honda mothership thinks it's not necessary.
If it's emergent work from something they found during the service, get them to explain.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:27:07 AM »
I am at present sitting in my local Honda sale room ... I have just been informed that I should have air conditioning serviced at £65.00.

Does Honda's service schedule require this work at this stage of your car's life ?
If "yes", it should be included in your 3rd year service.
If "no", then the Honda mothership thinks it's not necessary.
If it's emergent work from something they found during the service, get them to explain.

My Jazz has just had its 50k service at 3.5 yrs old. I was asked for the first time if I wanted the Air Con serviced. It was recommended not mandatory. I hadn't seen this thread then so I said yes...see attached....and that is without VAT  :(

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:39:53 AM by mikebore »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
Surely the key question is: "Is it still working, i.e. cooling effectively?"  My service sheet showed a measured temperature drop.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
Surely the key question is: "Is it still working, i.e. cooling effectively?"  My service sheet showed a measured temperature drop.

Yes but preventative maintainence is appropriate sometimes.

I haven't seen a temperature drop on a service sheet. Sounds like that check should be part of the service and used to decide if it needs doing, not asking the customer who mostly won't have a clue, like me.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
My Jazz has just had its 50k service at 3.5 yrs old. I was asked for the first time if I wanted the Air Con serviced. It was recommended not mandatory. I hadn't seen this thread then so I said yes...see attached....and that is without VAT  :(

Is that £88 plus VAT? Flippin' Hector Heathcote.

It's a bit confusing, that invoice. It states YF gas in the title line, but what looks like R134A gas in the item code. R1234YF and R134A are not interchangeable.

...and assuming 500.0 @ 0.04 EACH is 500g of gas, they appear to have charged you for a full re-gas with virgin gas.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
...and assuming 500.0 @ 0.04 EACH is 500g of gas, they appear to have charged you for a full re-gas with virgin gas.

The main stealers strike again ....and no printed test results for temperature drop - not very good service.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »

The main stealers strike again ....and no printed test results for temperature drop - not very good service.

Looks like I have been had.... not the only example of poor service experience I have had from this dealer.

Unfortunately manufacturers FSH still counts for something and I get "free" Honda Assist. I have one more service on the service plan I took out when I bought the car, then I shall look around.

Tags: