Author Topic: Honda earth dream engines  (Read 2425 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Honda earth dream engines
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:15:38 AM »
Hi, I know that the 1.5 jazz engine has carbon issues and maybe oil dilution problems, does this also apply to the 1.3 engine and if so what are the long-term consequences. Thanks.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Honda earth dream engines
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »
No, the 1.3 has port injection so no carbon problems like the direct injection variants.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »
Hi, I know that the 1.5 jazz engine has carbon issues and maybe oil dilution problems, does this also apply to the 1.3 engine and if so what are the long-term consequences. Thanks.
The L13B2 Jazz engine does not have carbon buildup issues as it has port injection. It could have oil diluition if used mainly for very short trips, each under 5 miles, as every petrol engine because the unburned petrol falling in the oil sump cannot evaporate since oil does not heat up. That's why both the user manual both the Oil Control System (if activated) consider every short trip as heavy usage and halve the oil span.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:33:35 AM »
The L13B2 Jazz engine does not have carbon buildup issues as it has port injection. It could have oil diluition if used mainly for very short trips, each under 5 miles, as every petrol engine because the unburned petrol falling in the oil sump cannot evaporate since oil does not heat up. That's why both the user manual both the Oil Control System (if activated) consider every short trip as heavy usage and halve the oil span.
The jazz certainly appreciates a good run but do mixed driving. Guess also the cats have to get to a certain temperature to work properly.  As I only do about 7000 a year will keep the yearly oil changes going. 

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »
The jazz certainly appreciates a good run but do mixed driving. Guess also the cats have to get to a certain temperature to work properly.  As I only do about 7000 a year will keep the yearly oil changes going.
Every engine likes to run at 185/195°F and mixed driving, but many users does not think/know that, in first minutes after startup, in every petrol engine there is a small amount of petrol that condenses on the cylinder walls and inside some hidden volumes between piston and cylinder because they are still cold, and this cause oil pollution. This petrol usually evaporates when oil becomes hot (also condensed water vapour  coming from blow-by) but, if cars are driven only for few minutes each time, oil will never "purify" and it will soon deteriorate. When I hear people saying "oh, I drive my car only for 3 miles  from my home to the railway station and back, less than 5000 miles per year, so I service every 3-4 years" I know that this is one of the best ways to ruin an engine.

Tags: