Author Topic: Left mirror blocked  (Read 6035 times)

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
Left mirror blocked
« on: May 27, 2023, 03:06:53 PM »
Hi everyone,
as the title suggests, sometimes the left mirror does not fold when I lock the car, has this happened to you too?
Yesterday I took the car for maintenance and reported the problem to the mechanic,
he replied that it is a known problem and they change the mirror under warranty (the car is still covered by warranty anyway),
the piece has been ordered, when it arrives I will take the machine back to the workshop to have the piece replaced.
Greetings
(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google Translate)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Left mirror blocked
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 03:58:10 PM »
Yes had my nearside (left) mirror replaced not all that long ago on my crosstar (Dec 2020 reg).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 04:27:07 PM »
Does the mirror motor attempt to move mirror, just doesn’t actually fold? I had this issue some time ago and think forum member who had same issue suggested using the manual mirror fold switch whilst engine was running. I tried this and the mirror folded, after which it folded correctly with switch in auto fold position when engine was off and car was locked. Issue hasn’t returned and now covered 45k miles. Might be worth a try? Unsure why this resolved the issue, perhaps the battery supply whilst running on engine power is able to deliver the current needed to operate the motor correctly but it’s worked correctly since when engine is off.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 04:32:15 PM by IanG »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 06:45:33 AM »
Does the mirror motor attempt to move mirror, just doesn’t actually fold? I had this issue some time ago and think forum member who had same issue suggested using the manual mirror fold switch whilst engine was running. I tried this and the mirror folded, after which it folded correctly with switch in auto fold position when engine was off and car was locked. Issue hasn’t returned and now covered 45k miles. Might be worth a try? Unsure why this resolved the issue, perhaps the battery supply whilst running on engine power is able to deliver the current needed to operate the motor correctly but it’s worked correctly since when engine is off.
A useful tip, especially once the cars are out of warranty. But I'd rather Honda replace the mirror free of charge under warranty than have to use a workround.      This is assuming the replacement mirror is improved in some way, either a better design, or properly lubricated. I havnt had a problem so far. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 05:20:22 PM »
My LHD 2020 Crosstar had its driver's side mirror replaced in October last year (it was always set to auto-fold and eventually failed). However, the replacement (which was the equivalent of 300 GBP to replace) is now also failing. Everything was done under warranty, but I'd be interested to know if this is down to weak motors in the mirror or an inherent wiring issue. The right-hand side is fine, so my problems seem identical to others on here i.e. just one side!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »
My theory is the assembly worker  on the left side mirror production line is to blame! Maybe they didnt squirt enough lubricant into the mechanism. Wasn't trained properly  or just lazy.  But if so  why are Honda replacing them with mirrors apparently made by the same person ?    ;D

That said the airbag on my Yaris, that had a recall due to premature aging ,  was replaced with an identical item. Just newer stock.   

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »
a light spray with silicone fixes, seems to be dry sinilar surface rubbing

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 06:04:30 AM »
I did exactly that a few days ago  :)

My mirrors are still working perfectly OK but I'd noticed a very slight plastic to plastic grinding noise, very quiet.  A few squirts of silicone lubricant spray and now silent again.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 06:26:28 AM »
Is there a particular location to concentrate on or technique required ?  or does this become obvious with symptoms?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 07:10:08 AM »
If you operate the mirrors while outside you can see which bit moves, like a mini turntable, just aim the jet there and hold a cloth underneath to catch any drips.

My silicon spray has a long thin straw like attachment so easy to direct.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2023, 07:31:01 AM »
I had same problem.
Just use some WD-40 spray. It's working without any problem like 1-2 months
Cheers!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 07:36:31 AM »
Be wary of normal WD40 as it's designed to dry and can make it worse over time.

Back in the day you could spray it into the distributor cap to dry out any moisture stopping the points working properly.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 08:09:36 AM »
Be wary of normal WD40 as it's designed to dry and can make it worse over time.

Back in the day you could spray it into the distributor cap to dry out any moisture stopping the points working properly.
Yes, Kremmen is right.

It dries similarly to a coat of varnish!

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 10:18:56 AM »
Mine did intermittently for a while on my Crosstar the first winter I had it (21-22). After a few squirts with silicone spray it seemed to cure it. I reported it at its first service last September even though I hadn't had any problems for many months and they could find no fault (not sure whether they actually looked as it wasn't doing it at the time); I did this so that there was a record that I had had problems in the past in case it recurred. It was fine last winter (22-23) and I've had no problems since.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
I wonder if after the cars are out of warranty main dealers  will charge customers silly money  for a 'silly con' cure.

Perhaps the former Governer of the Bank of England , Mark Carney ,  can chair an investigation into the scandal.  'Silly-con Carney.'  ;D

Tags:

anything