Author Topic: CVT auto gearbox oil change intervals  (Read 52854 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Re: CVT auto gearbox oil change intervals
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »
Hi,
after trying to get sense out of my dealers varying replies I emailed Honda for a definitive answer. My 2011 cvt should have the oil changed at 2 year intervals, Honda derby who I have gone back to got it right,
Chris

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
;DRe: auto-box fluid change etc.

Hi, I have a 2012 1.4 EX. CVT and I was having a problem, i.e.: loosing power at times, it's all down to a little bit of a C/up by Honda. In the service book (part number car-serv-0111. issue date 10/11) it shows on page 42 that the CVT fluid should be replaced every  75,000miles or 8 years. THIS IN WRONG.
ON LATE 2011 models onwards it should be done every 25,000miles or 2 years.
I was given this information from Honda, due to our Jazz having to go back to the garage 4 times because of loss of power/pull.
I was also told that the CVT box should be Flushed every 4 years.
 We had the CVT, drained-flushed-refilled, all paid for by Honda supplying dealer and our Zoo-Zoo is now running great.
My wife and I are wondering if we were to be: drained-flushed-refilled, would that help our (old age) aches and pains,
    :-X
Hi
Can I ask why paid for by Honda dealer, had you just bought the car?
Thanks

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
This matter of CVT fluid changes is a bit of a minefield.  On the GE jazz, does  the change from I shift auto to cvt auto
correspond with the facelift change, or put another way, are there any pre facelift models with CVT or any facelift models with I shift?  If the changes in transmission and facelift were simultaneous, then all GE facelift cars with CVT are 2012 models even if registered in 2011, because all facelift jazzes are classed as 2012 models. If this is the case then they should have a fluid change at 2 years or 25000 miles. My own jazz was registered Oct 2011,the salesman confirmed that it would be the 2012 model, my local dealer says the car has to be registered in 2012 to qualify for the fluid change. This does not seem logical to me.  Have I got it all wrong?
Hi, just rang Honda and they have confirmed that my 2011 registered Jazz is a 2012 model and required cut oil change 2 yrs or 25000.  I asked when it should be flushed and basically he did not know as he told me to speak to the local dealership..think it may be every 4 yrs, can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
I had mine done this year with it's MOT (3rd) and service, when I looked back through the service info pack I found that it was done a couple of years ago, I'd obviously forgotten about that ::)
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
Does the MkII CVT use the same oil as the MK I CVT?
Does anyone perhaps have a part number or link to the correct oil?

For the CVT fluid change interval at 2 years or 25000 miles is that just a drain and refill, around 3L?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Does the MkII CVT use the same oil as the MK I CVT?    Yes

see https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-cvt-fluid-4ltr/

For the CVT fluid change interval at 2 years or 25000 miles is that just a drain and refill, around 3L?
Yes.. easy to do.You will need a long filler tube...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
Does the MkII CVT use the same oil as the MK I CVT?

Visit cox motor parts website,  they will provide you with the correct fluid for the car year.

I have just got genuine Honda coolant from Cox and it was cheaper than the Halfords stuff ( and the same colour a stuff that is in now, so when I do a part coolant change - ( I never fully drain system ) - the coolant in the car will not go a muddy brown colour ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
Thanks Guys, the Cox website is an awesome resource, I'm going to keep it bookmarked for future reference.

But I don't know how accurate it is because it shows both versions of the CVT oil as being compatible when putting my VIN number in. They say VIN *Required. We check all parts for compatibility with your vehicle via Honda EPC.

Genuine Honda CVT Fluid 4 Litres (Pink correct version up till 2012 CVT vehicles)
Genuine Honda HCF-2 CVT Fluid 4 Litres (Yellow version apparently for 2013 and onwards CVT vehicles)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 07:10:16 PM »
Thanks Guys, the Cox website is an awesome resource, I'm going to keep it bookmarked for future reference.

But I don't know how accurate it is because it shows both versions of the CVT oil as being compatible when putting my VIN number in. They say VIN *Required. We check all parts for compatibility with your vehicle via Honda EPC.

Genuine Honda CVT Fluid 4 Litres (Pink correct version up till 2012 CVT vehicles)
Genuine Honda HCF-2 CVT Fluid 4 Litres (Yellow version apparently for 2013 and onwards CVT vehicles)

I have never put vin number in, just registration number...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
Perhaps they don't deal in South African registration numbers.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 07:50:43 PM »
Both may be compatible with the older transmission and the HFC-2 only with the newer transmission.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 09:23:48 PM »

Perhaps they don't deal in South African registration numbers.

It picked it up no problem and below the box it says "Enter your Registration Number (GB) or VIN (Non-GB)"

Both may be compatible with the older transmission and the HFC-2 only with the newer transmission.

Apparently not at all, you can't mix them, the older is Pink and newer is Yellow.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:47:33 PM by Jazzmeister »

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 11:38:23 PM »
Just to confirm the Honda CVT Fluid 4 Litres is the correct oil for my CVT.

I did my oil change and it's all going great.

pompeylord

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz 1.3s icvt
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 01:03:52 PM »
Hi,i have a jazz automatic,2 years old and only done 2500 miles ,yes 2500 and my main dealer says  i need to change the gearbox oil or fluid.can i refuse because of the low mileage?full service shoots up to over £400 if this is done.TIA

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 11:57:14 AM »
Hi,i have a jazz automatic,2 years old and only done 2500 miles ,yes 2500 and my main dealer says  i need to change the gearbox oil or fluid.can i refuse because of the low mileage?full service shoots up to over £400 if this is done.TIA
I'd refuse because the gearbox oil change is mileage based but only refuse if not doing the gearbox oil change won't invalidate the vehicles warranty.

I'm assuming it's a CVT gearbox?

Tags: