Author Topic: Audi A1  (Read 5075 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Audi A1
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »

I had a poke around one a few weeks back.

Firstly, this is not a successor to the (more or less) Jazz-like A2 from a decade ago; that was made from aluminum, cost a fair amount of money and didn't sell that well. The A1 is a traditional small car based on the VW Polo/Seat Ibiza platform initially available in three-door form only, with a five-door to follow soon.

What to say about it? Only really looks good in S-Line spec, impressive interior, poor rear headroom, bigger boot than a MINi's. I can't see the point in spending over £13k for the 85bhp 1.2-litre model but maybe the bigger engined models might make sense as a 2+2 against the likes of a CR-Z. Funny enough, that is how I also view the MINI.

But it will sell for the sake of the badge and the marginal increase in practicality over a MINI.

guest238

Re: Audi A1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
I have a friend who works for an Audi dealer and he's invited us for a test drive as my wife has a MINI. I'll let you know how we get on.

PS, my Jazz has been sold as we need a bigger car - we've now got a '10 plate Nissan Qashqai.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
If you think the ride of the Jazz is harsh, try one of these on sports suspension and 17" wheels! No joke, my 2007 GD (the facelift model with Honda's second attempt at sorting the ride out) rides better round town!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Well over priced in Uk , the dealers in NW are full of themselves, A4's still dogged by building the cars for Europe - just measure the space for your feet as a passenger and then as a driver.
The skoda range is miles better than Audi....

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
i dont buy any VAG garbage after the problems i had with a polo and an ibiza both brand new

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
Great little 1.2-litre turbo-charged engine and excellent build quality, but nothing else worthy of mention.

guest238

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
Think of a word starting with s and ending in t.

The ride is horrific, the handling nothing special and the rear headroom is very poor. While the A2 was a geniune leap forward, the A1 nothing more than a grumpy Polo. My sister has a Mazda2 is it is a much better car to drive.

Thankfully, the mrs doesn't like it and has her heart set on a Citroen DS3. Which is good, because a) I love Citroens (generally), and b) it's not my car so when it goes wrong (which it will...do I need to explain why?) it's not my problem! ;)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
I was looking for a small fuel-economical automatic car for driving tuition purposes, and considered an Audi A3, VW Golf and Seat Leon, as all 3 shared a very frugal 1.6 diesel auto. However what the dealers weren't too willing to divulge was the hidden service costs, like DSG gearbox transmission fluid and filter change every 40k at £170, can belt change every 40k £500, on top of its routine servicing at around £270, so basically every 40k, approx 18 months, I would get a £900 bill !

I popped in to Honda, and although the routine servicing is a similar price £150/£270, the gearbox service is £70, and the cambelt doesn't need changing, as its a chain. They also offered the first 4 services for £500 so I have taken that option too.

75 days to delivery . . . .

Oz

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
The DSG gearbox is known to be full of problems. In the US, VW have extended the warranty to 10 years.

I agree about the comment regarding the Mazda2, if you enjoy driving it is infinitely a better car to drive next to the Audi A1.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
Think of a word starting with s and ending in t.

Thankfully, the mrs doesn't like it and has her heart set on a Citroen DS3. Which is good, because a) I love Citroens (generally), and b) it's not my car so when it goes wrong (which it will...do I need to explain why?) it's not my problem! ;)

Hey -lay off French cars, they are good for something - my mate is a mechanic and French cars have kept him well paid for many years.  If everyone drove Honda cars I estimate that the number of mechanics in the world would drop by about 95%, if everyone drove French cars we would need an extra 50,000 mechanics just in the UK.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: